knowledge pool

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

ChrisG
DDK Newbie

Post by ChrisG »

Well, here is one for the pool.

I have just had a nightmare time trying to figure out what was wrong with the rear caliper on the 914.
It all started with trying to change the pads. Problem was the pistons were not going back in - throught they were corroded.
So after eventually getting everything stripped down, we tried it again. Still no luck. The pistons stuck on completely.

Turns out after all the faffing around and on and off routines, the problem was rather simple.
The flexi brake line. The inner surface has bubbled up inside. Brake fluid under pressure was getting through, but as it tried to return, the pipe was stopping it, therefore it was leaving the pistons out.
One flexi line later and the brakes work perfectly again.
Moral is, if you are not sure, change the line....
zoomiewoz
DDK above all

Post by zoomiewoz »

Vauxhall chavette front pads same as 914 rear but the top hole needs making bigger. A good update is to fit 911 master cylinder with Aeroquip type hoses and fit 911 turbo stearing rack arms ( gets rid of the rubber bushing ) gives a moor posative feel. Woz :bigsmurf:
owen nw
DDK slapper chatter

Post by owen nw »

great to see that i ve started some good here , one of two things yes the alfa pads work i got 2 sets from 2 different suppliers , one set was £12 the other was £13 , one set went straight on the other as stated will need a tiny bit of fettling but who cares if its saving a couple of pounds , i now need door handles lol , i ve sourced a couple of parts in america thanks to bruce on here thanks owen nw
ask me do i care. do i f**k
LMR
DDK slapper chatter

Re: knowledge pool

Post by LMR »

Ball joint tool is from a far less exotic car!!

Porsche 964 1993
Porsche 944 1986 - sold
Porsche 914 1972
misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

Exhaust back box gaskets - you can use T25 ones if you elongate the holes. You don't touch the sealing face so no problems there.

Looking for front engine mounts now - they must be common to something else, right?
LMR
DDK slapper chatter

Post by LMR »

Front engine mounts. I read somewhere they are common to early 911's, but for some reason are much cheaper than the 914 part. I will try and find the source of my information.
Porsche 964 1993
Porsche 944 1986 - sold
Porsche 914 1972
Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

The early engine mounts (end shift gearboxes) were very similar to the 911 engine mounts and can be made to fit with a bit of fettling. Not sure the later are the same as 911, but if you do know otherwise let me know as mine are pretty warped too!
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold