Finnish Francesca, 1973 targa resto

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Finnish Francesca, 1973 targa resto

Post by Darren65 »

210bhp wrote: Image
I actually have some of those strengthening brackets, should have left them with Barry!...........obviously not needed for my 72, perhaps someone should have mentioned that to Porsche when they built the Toad Hall ST!

Forget engines, interiors, suspension or even paint.......for all the nonsense spouted on the 'cost of restoring' thread recently there's one fact that, for me, is cast iron......the most important work you can ever carry out is having your crusty shell properly rebuilt. And no one better to do it than Mr B Carter, Barry really is wonderful 8)

I echo Adam's sentiment that this process was an absolute joy and provided my fondest memories during my restorations. Best money I ever spent.

Wonderful thread Mike, really enjoying following it. Thanks for sharing :)
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Darren65 wrote:......there's one fact that, for me, is cast iron......
.....or maybe that should be 'pressed steel' :wink:
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Andy888
I think the MIG welding spec has been detailed by Barry several times in the past on different threads, but iirc abut £1000 or less and specific to thin guage work.
You still need a careful touch, an essential ingredient, but Barry's hands and the right equipment, and we all can see what happens.

A Barry shell must be fabulous to have. :drunken:
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Thanks for the comments chaps.

Hi Andy
Not to speak for Barry but I did find this post he made some time ago. Maybe he has changed things since. Not sure.

"On the last course we hooked up someone's DIY welder to pure CO2, tried it, and then flicked to my manifolded supply (to run two MIGs from one bottle) of CO2 / Argon mix. The difference was remarkable, and definitely very noticeable. You wouldn't want to return to pure CO2 after running a MIG mix,

One thing I have never understood is that if you use pure Argon with a MIG welder on mild it's horrible, and yet with a TIG, again on mild, it's gorgeous. You'd have thought the weld conditions would be the same, but obviously not.

As a matter of interest, I'm gradually switching my bottles from rented Air Products ones, to Albee bought ones. It's a hefty investment for the likes of me as I run two MIG bottles, one argon (for the TIGs) and oxy acetylene. Amazingly though, the payback is just one year, so the availability locally of Albee has been a godsend.

Oh yes welders: I absolutely love my two Kemppi's (a MIG and a TIG, both small and beautifully made). My more recent R Tech AC DC TIG has been very good as well, but I don't love it. Not sure why, perhaps because it's a blend of China, Germany and a little bit of British. Good back-up though.

I've always thought it a cruel irony that the cheaper DIY machines are by far the hardest to use: inconsistent, fussy and cantankerous, all qualities a DIY'er can well do without. Give a pro machine to a DIY chap, and his welding will improve tremendously. Give a DIY machine to a pro welder, and it'll be through the nearest window within 20 minutes :lol: .

A quality machine is a joy indeed :) .

Anyway, if space is an issue Graham, check out the Kemppi range of inverter MIG's. They are not much larger than a big handbag, and can be popped in a cupboard or on a shelf. I've had my one for eight years plus, so it's probably gone through 75-100 kilos of wire. Never missed a beat, and always a pleasure to use. It's never tripped out through overheating, and will happily weld from translucent lace, right up to very heavy plate. On the lowest setting you could almost weld something held in a bare hand: I've never had to turn it so low in eight years. The only downside is there's no shock-and-awe. They are expensive, and when you show your friends they'll think you've been conned into buying a tiny DIY machine from the toy shop.

One thing to do with all welders is regularly blow them out with compressed air (outside). They do attract grinding dust, which is most unfriendly to electronics."

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
drmrfi
DDK Newbie

Post by drmrfi »

And as it happens..
Kemppi headquarters and factory are in Lahti, Finland :)

Mika
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Hi Mika!

Great to see you back on ddk. Glad you are following the restoration story.

What a coincidence. So Barry may have been working on a 911 shell from Lahti with a welder from Lahti.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
grannysmith
DDK forever

Post by grannysmith »

[quote="210bhp"]Lots of other small repairs which take time and bucketfuls of talent and we end up like this,

These pictures had me digging through my own Mike because I didn't remember mine looking the same. Sure enough my bumper mount is a less complicated affair.

I know there's the obvious oil tank related changes but out of curiosity is Barry aware of any other structural differences between the 72/73 targa shells?
Mick

'72 Targa 2.4T/E in Chartreuse

My Google search bar knows two words and they both begin POR..
Parkview911
DDK above all

Post by Parkview911 »

Great thread. I'm really jealous.
After reading nearly every Captain Carter thread I still can't get my head around the precision and consistency of the patches he makes. Amazing. It is very rare to find someone with that attention to detail and accuracy regardless of the fact that much of his effort is never seen outside of the beautifully documented threads; obvious exterior panels or hidden interior repairs, the quality is the same.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I think this is the mig welder Barry uses, £1000 plus consumables.

73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

It would be fair to say that it's not just the welding machine, it's like asking Jamie what camera he has as it takes good photos...
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Exactly - it's how you use the tool so I'm told
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Welding is also the 2 seconds of glory following endless hours of preparation.

;)
andy888
DDK Newbie

Post by andy888 »

911hillclimber wrote:Andy888
I think the MIG welding spec has been detailed by Barry several times in the past on different threads, but iirc abut £1000 or less and specific to thin guage work.
You still need a careful touch, an essential ingredient, but Barry's hands and the right equipment, and we all can see what happens.

A Barry shell must be fabulous to have. :drunken:

yes a steady hand is key and having it set up right. Fronius now do a machine that is automatic. you don't do anything bar put in the material gauge and then you just hold the button and go. its amazing, but expensive!!!

i see the 200A kemppi is also automatic! nice machine
Last edited by andy888 on Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
sladey

Post by sladey »

Gary71 wrote:It would be fair to say that it's not just the welding machine, it's like asking Jamie what camera he has as it takes good photos...
That's absolutely right but someone of limited ability will get far far better results using a better machine than a 'hobby' welder. I'm in love with my portamig 185 and I think Gary has similar feelings for his. Mine was about £600 IIRC and massively easier to use and more consistent than the SIP I was struggling with before
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
andy888
DDK Newbie

Post by andy888 »

sladey wrote:
Gary71 wrote:It would be fair to say that it's not just the welding machine, it's like asking Jamie what camera he has as it takes good photos...
That's absolutely right but someone of limited ability will get far far better results using a better machine than a 'hobby' welder. I'm in love with my portamig 185 and I think Gary has similar feelings for his. Mine was about £600 IIRC and massively easier to use and more consistent than the SIP I was struggling with before
i also have a portamig. absolute dream to use. worked in the aircraft industry for 14 years next to the weld shop and the different materials they welded and the quality of work by some of the guys was brilliant. I'm sure its an argon co2 mix for mig and i just got someone a pure argon mix for his tig plant the other day from the motor factors.