Golf Rallye

A place to discuss Porsche cars (and others) for sale in the general market
sng45
DDK rules my life!

Golf Rallye

Post by sng45 »

A bit off topic but.....

I phoned to buy this at ten past nine this morning...........

http://www.appreciating-classics.com/ca ... rallye-se/

the guy told me it went on the market yesterday afternoon and sold within fifteen minutes !

I used to own one some years ago and want another ......... if anyone knows of one for sale please let me know

Thanks

Steve
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Re: Golf Rallye

Post by DustyM »

I too owned one in the late 90s, went over to Belgium to buy it. Sold it for £5k a few years later!

I've also thought about acquiring another but fear I would be disappointed with the driving experience now, rose tinted memories and all that....
54Kab
DDK Fanatic

Post by 54Kab »

..me too. Bought c95 -a Jersey car that had 14k on the clock. I loved it (at the time), but I think it's fair to say they're a bit flawed..

There were 4 or 5 of them at Stonor Park (VW show) a couple of weeks ago -nearly all the ones I see have been modified in some way.

..but good memories
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

As a ardent Mk2 Golf fan they always struck me as a lot of complexity for not a lot of gain. With a decent power output it could have been so much more.

It needed a very special engine to backup the arches and 4wd. Maybe a VR6 like I put in my MK2 ;)
greggearhead
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by greggearhead »

You guys are lucky. We NEVER got them in the States. We miss out on a lot of cool models, but that's another story.

I've had a lot of water-cooled VWs, and love the early, simple, light ones best. The Rallye was kind of the nee plus ultra Mk2, in my mind. However, if I had my choice, I think I'd build a Mk1 with a built 2.0 16V, sidedraft carbs, Berg Cup flares, etc. Nasty, raunchy, quick, loud and fun. =)
http://www.greggearhead.com

Dealer for Superlite wheels, GTS Classic Seats, Reproduction Cibie lights, more!

Always buying/selling new & used Porsche parts (as well as other classic Euro makes)
veryporky
DDK forever

Post by veryporky »

Steve, did you ever end up with a Rallye? Just interested as I had a couple in the 90s. Thought they were a hoot, not much more powerful than a regular GTI but that was academic as you didn't need to slow much in the bends due to the incredible cornering ability. I'd certainly entertain another...
Keith
sng45
DDK rules my life!

Post by sng45 »

veryporky wrote:Steve, did you ever end up with a Rallye? Just interested as I had a couple in the 90s. Thought they were a hoot, not much more powerful than a regular GTI but that was academic as you didn't need to slow much in the bends due to the incredible cornering ability. I'd certainly entertain another...
Unfortunately not - I enquired after a nice Rallye that was up for sale on the "Edition 38" website ( I want a "Tuned/modified" car ) and told the chap I'd buy it off the photos he'd posted - he ummed and arrd - and decided not to sell - I even offered him 25% more than he'd advertised it for and he still wouldn't sell it !

So still looking for one - I have a regular look at the "VW Rallye owners group" on facebook to see if anything comes up but so far nothing other than a metallic purple air bagged looker with chrome wheels which isn't my thing ! and also have the Rallye section of "mobile.de" saved. I've left some cash aside so I can move quickly when I see one and it regularly burns a hole in my pocket ! - just bought a bright orange Lotus Elise ( my sixth) which is being delivered in the morning - to add to my hot rod 240Z - Alfa SZ and Abarth 500 etc - I really like off the wall cars.

If you come across a Rallye for sale please drop me a line
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Steve, is that an Elise mk1 ?
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
dragonfly
I luv DDK!

Post by dragonfly »

sng45 wrote:
veryporky wrote:If you come across a Rallye for sale please drop me a line
There are a couple here: http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/classic_ ... 1&S=Search
Al
Member #665
'81 911SC Arrow Blue
Dragonfly 28 trimaran - no speed limits at sea
veryporky
DDK forever

Post by veryporky »

Judging by those ads prices have rocketed like everything else. I have a friend who worked for VAG in the 90s, he drove a couple of modified ones and reckoned they were horrible in the handling department. He was blown away by my standard one. I have since discovered that when they were new VW issued specific instructions that the suspension should not be tampered with. I guess they are overly sensitive to setup. Nothing wrong with modifying the G lader for extra performance, the blower would probably need overhauling by now anyway. Jabba Sport were the go to for that.
Keith
Nige

Post by Nige »

Closest I got was a G40, probably almost as rare now.
sng45
DDK rules my life!

Post by sng45 »

hot66 wrote:Steve, is that an Elise mk1 ?
No it's a Mk2 from a company which I'm guessing is close to you "Alexanders Prestige"

http://www.alexandersprestige.co.uk/sto ... lub-racer/ ( looks yellow in the photographs but is actually bright orange) I have the number E1ESE for it as well.

I must say they are the best car dealer I've ever bought from, absolutely excellent service - a world away from the norm !

The first Elise I had was a Mk1 some years ago although I must say I prefer the styling, looks ( and brakes ) of the Mk2. If you're looking for a Mk1 a friend of mine is just considering selling a blue one which has been in his family for almost 15 years, funnily enough he lives within three miles of Alexanders.
Last edited by sng45 on Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
sng45
DDK rules my life!

Post by sng45 »

dragonfly wrote:
sng45 wrote:
veryporky wrote:If you come across a Rallye for sale please drop me a line
There are a couple here: http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/classic_ ... 1&S=Search
Thanks for that - the red one has been for sale for around eighteen months and doesn't appear to be a very good example - and the black one was for sale at auction in France - I went on the auction house website some time ago to see if it had sold and how much for and couldn't find any information at all. My preference would be a dark colour ( not red)
veryporky
DDK forever

Post by veryporky »

Looking like he's teeth now then! About 8 years ago I saw a green one parked in Ryde isle of Wight standard looking. Last year there was another this time a bit over modified 100 yds further up the hill in a drive. Must be same owner. Prior to that saw one in London around 2004, these are the only cars I've seen apart from the ones I owned in about 20 years!!!
Keith
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

I could well be in the market for an s1 Elsie. Can you put me in touch?
Thanks
Graham