Feedback wanted please. Classic Retrofit: Early fuse panel

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Jonny Hart
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Feedback wanted please. Classic Retrofit: Early fuse panel

Post by Jonny Hart »

Hi,

As you probably know, we offer replacement fuse panels for impact bumper cars 1974 - 89. These have been very popular, they improve the headlamps and generally make windows, sunroofs and such like much less sluggish.

Info here:

http://classicretrofit.com/products/911 ... ml#screen2

We have held off providing a solution for the early cars (pre '74) with the belief that this market is more focused on originality. Recently, though, we have a number of enquiries about early cars.

The early car fuse boards are in essence the same as the later offerings, just with 3 less fuse ways and mounted vertically. Annoyingly, the hole spacing is slightly different as the original fuse blocks mount direct to tabs on the body and they are not butted up to one another like in the later cars. So, this will be a new panel design.

Another issue surrounds the screw on lids. Our headlamp relays are squeezed in making the fuse spacing slightly different to original fitment. Furthermore, the finished height of the fuses and holders negates the fitment of the original cover. A poll of a few folks reveals that some don't care about the cover and others insist that not having a cover would be a 'showstopper'. The panel is usually behind the carpet. Making our own covers is likely to be very expensive.

So, just trying to gauge interest here.

Who would be interested in a fuse panel solution for pre '74 cars with all the features of our existing post '74 panel? Is the lack of lid a 'showstopper' for you?

If we get enough feedback, we will make a small batch.

Cheers,

Jonny
majordad
I luv DDK!

Re: Feedback wanted please. Classic Retrofit: Early fuse pa

Post by majordad »

IMHO someone who has, or is making an outlaw/backdate would be less concerned with looks and more so with function and reliability, so my answer would be yes for one for me.
1972 2.4S, since 1988
993 RSR Cup
73 RS Rep Race
2018 GT3RS Lizard
Nine One One

Post by Nine One One »

Personally something similar to the one you already produce would be ideal. It would be safer, easier to identify which fuse has blown, and do not think a cover is an issue. The main concern is replacing something like for like, that will fit in the available space, and be practical to use, especially blade type fuses.
brembo
DDK rules my life!

Post by brembo »

Jonny Hart wrote:Hi,

The early car fuse boards are in essence the same as the later offerings, just with 3 less fuse ways and mounted vertically. Annoyingly, the hole spacing is slightly different as the original fuse blocks mount direct to tabs on the body and they are not butted up to one another like in the later cars. So, this will be a new panel design.
Jonny
Jonny, would some sort of adapter plate not be feasible,so that you could use your original panels?
Regards,
Dougie

Worry is the interest on inevitability !
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

I'm going to give the opposing view.

For me, the same logic applies here as with your uprated CDI. I imagine there's a reason why you bothered to CNC machine a case that looks very like the original (until you get really close up). Although it's not one for the concours folks, it doesn't detract from the overall impression of the engine bay. Doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Similarly an uprated fuse unit with two black covers would probably be OK for me even if the dimensions were slightly different from original, but I personally wouldn't want one that looked so obviously changed / upgraded. Would bother me - I'd be thinking that with a bit more effort it could have been done right so that the aesthetics were as good as the engineering. Even for a hot rod it would matter to me, perhaps more so because my hot rod, like many, does not have carpet or the cardboard cover.

Just my 2p, obviously! No offence intended, and respect to you for carefully engineering these products for everyone's benefit.

Cheers, Richard.
jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jb »

I must admit that I agree with Richard
Jonny Hart

Post by Jonny Hart »

Thanks for the input so far. Similar to my straw poll, divided!

It is very unlikely that we can make the original covers fit but an alternative cover could be an option.

Injection mould tooling is out (> £10K !) so have been looking at vacuum forming ABS. We are getting a 3D printer for small parts but the finish isn't good enough for a large flat piece. The other thought is to simplify the cover, make it more of a 'guard', e.g. A flat piece over the top as even the orignal covers are not waterproof. Maybe even folded black anodised aluminium.

More feedback welcome.
Tony
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Tony »

I think this is a good idea and would certainly consider one. I bought my 2.4E because of the mods it had, if I decided to sell it it could be returned to standard without too much trouble. The care you seem to be taking with the fitment should mean I could keep the original and it could be refitted at a later date if someone felt the need - seems the best if both worlds to me.

Tony
sfl993t4
DDK addict

Post by sfl993t4 »

Hi,
I love the idea of these but also like my original looking fuse covers.
Could the headlight relays be moved off the board to a little box or separate board / panel that could be hidden somewhere?
If the finished height of the fuses still stops the original covers fitting, could you make rectangular spacers to raise the original fuse box covers up a little? These would be much cheaper to produce than full lids and would be largely hidden by the original lids so wouldn't need the same finish.
Of course may not be possible, just thoughts
Steve
1970 2.2s - rhd, 1996 993tt - lhd
Jonny Hart

Post by Jonny Hart »

I have discounted trying to make the orignal lids fit. It just won't work due to alignment of the fixing screws, lid screw and fuse holders - they are all in the way of one another. Moving the relays doesn't really help. Despite there being a multitude of boxes on the market, in my experience you can never find one the right size, shape or material.

I'm working on the basis of a folded guard that will clip onto tabs at the ends of the panel. I think this could work really well in black plastic or anodized aluminium.
911GP
DDK forever

Post by 911GP »

Hi,
I also agree with Richard's comments. I am looking to restore my car later this year and, whilst originality is important, I really like the idea of having modern electronics that are more reliable and make like easier. However, aesthetics are important and any sort of box close to the original would be a must.
Thanks
Gitesh
amallagh
I need to get out more!

Post by amallagh »

One point of view is that is it isn't going to be original, but you want to stick to an 'original Porsche look', and you want updated and more reliable fuse panel, then fit the post'73 panel in your pre '74 car in any case.
At least that's what I did on my '73 2.4E converted to '73 RS rally spec last year. Clearly there was a bit more wiring mods involved but it worked and there was plenty of extra fuses for my heated screen, trips, lights, etc.
Can't imagine many people doing this, but I did :withstupid:
Andrew
'72 914/6GT (first love!)
'66 SWB 911 (now sold but still prostituting itself as a rally car rental for HERO)
'73 911 2.7RS
'73 911 2.8RSR (some time in the near future)
'67 911R 2.0 twin plug (sometime, maybe, never?)
996TT (sold)
997TT (sold)
Jonny Hart

Post by Jonny Hart »

Here's what we have come up with. The panel has a couple of 'teeth' top and bottom and a smoked folded perspex guard clips on. The perspex is dark enough to look almost black in the car, but will allow you to see the LEDs through it when a fuse blows. The panel has the headlamp relay upgrade just like the IB panel.

Here's the prototype on an unpopulated panel:

Very hard to judge interest on these. It would really help if you could express an interest on this thread - around £245 + VAT mark. I hope to place the batch order this week.

Thanks,

Jonny
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

Just a thought Jonny regarding the cover. Involves some basic box/packaging/origami skills.

Can it be made out of a flat sheet of card with folds?
If so it could be diecut by a printer onto something like a 1000mic (maybe thinner) black poly prop or pvc

OK you'll have to have a diecut made and it'll be a short run, but I'd imagine it'll be in costs of £100s rather than £10000s

Looks quite simple, the corners would be more square and it would require some hand assembly but you could supply flat for the customer to build with some 2 part acrylic adhesive to bond the structural flaps. Easy peasy. Might not be as rigid but would certainly perform as good.

If you need help let me know as I design packaging on a daily basis so coming up with a cutting form would be pretty straightforward.