Step by Step guide to removing a wiring loom

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

MrWattsey
DDK Seasoned Poster

Step by Step guide to removing a wiring loom

Post by MrWattsey »

Hi All,

I'm busy stripping my 1971 911T bodyshell ready for media blasting and i've been reading topics on here for days about removing the wiring loom.

Has anyone got a step by step guide on how to do it?

Or what are your top tips guys as I gather it can all be pulled out in one piece if done correctly? (Spot the Newbie!)
8bit-ash
DDK slapper chatter

Re: Step by Step guide to removing a wiring loom

Post by 8bit-ash »

I pulled mine out quite easily from the back. just carefully tape the branches together in one nice sausage first and attach a peice of string to the end to leave in place to assist it going back in. Once out I re labelled everything neatly while the scrawls i'd done while disconnecting it were still familiar.
1970 911E Sportomatic
2002 Boxster S
2004 Audi A2 TDi 90
cobb911
Married to the DDK

Post by cobb911 »

It won't come out in one piece but it will come out in each individual piece. I suggest going on to the Porsche GB website and downloading the parts catalogue pdf. From that you can see the constituent parts of the loom. Even in the tunnel there are two separate parts with the main loom and battery starter cable. If you are pulling it out from the back you are best to detach the part which sits behind the dash with bulb lights etc.

You can get a wiring diagram to help when putting it back but I agree with the tip above of writing labels when taking it out and new labels once it is out so you remember where it all goes. Of course I am still to do the putting back bit so the success of my label writing is still to be tested.

Regards
Graeme

Black 2003 996 C4S Coupe
Previously
Tangerine 1972 911T
Black 2005 987 Boxster
Grey 2001 986 Boxster S
Cobalt Blue 1991 944 S2

Member #731
MrWattsey
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by MrWattsey »

cobb911 wrote:It won't come out in one piece but it will come out in each individual piece. I suggest going on to the Porsche GB website and downloading the parts catalogue pdf. From that you can see the constituent parts of the loom. Even in the tunnel there are two separate parts with the main loom and battery starter cable. If you are pulling it out from the back you are best to detach the part which sits behind the dash with bulb lights etc.

You can get a wiring diagram to help when putting it back but I agree with the tip above of writing labels when taking it out and new labels once it is out so you remember where it all goes. Of course I am still to do the putting back bit so the success of my label writing is still to be tested.

Regards
I've had a quick look on the Club site but can't find it, is it under Archive on in the Forum somewhere??
cobb911
Married to the DDK

Post by cobb911 »

MrWattsey wrote:
cobb911 wrote:It won't come out in one piece but it will come out in each individual piece. I suggest going on to the Porsche GB website and downloading the parts catalogue pdf. From that you can see the constituent parts of the loom. Even in the tunnel there are two separate parts with the main loom and battery starter cable. If you are pulling it out from the back you are best to detach the part which sits behind the dash with bulb lights etc.

Regards
I've had a quick look on the Club site but can't find it, is it under Archive on in the Forum somewhere??

Porsche GB rather than Porsche Club GB. Here's the link:

http://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesan ... catalogue/

Select your model and display. You should be able to save for future rather than downloading each time.

Cheers
Graeme

Black 2003 996 C4S Coupe
Previously
Tangerine 1972 911T
Black 2005 987 Boxster
Grey 2001 986 Boxster S
Cobalt Blue 1991 944 S2

Member #731
C3s
DDK slapper chatter

Post by C3s »

That's great, now i can make a really long list. 4 wings, complete loom.............!
MrWattsey
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by MrWattsey »

Thanks Graeme,

Found it and downloaded it, I do love a parts catalogue :P