72 Hotrod - my new project

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

squirdan
DDK rules my life!

Re: 72 Hotrod - my new project

Post by squirdan »

well let me see, the lesson here I think is "beware the perma-tanned multi millionaire".

After many years working for large banks I tee'd up what looked like (and I did a LOT of due diligence incl many meetings with the CEO) a move to be global sales director of a small, fast growing fintech business that offered far more optionality and potentially large £ making potential in due course (but half the salary). However, once I got my feet under the table it took me about 2 weeks to work out it was a triumph of spin over reality...and thats being polite.

Shortly after I resigned with no job to go to and money pissing out of every orifice, (which concentrates the mind!) shareholders started to work that out as well and the shareprice halved. and halved again !

thankfully I cut my losses aggressively and quickly such that it doesn't really ever need to be on my CV - but in the intervening period toys like the hotrod had to be sacrificed!

c'est la vie, its only a car !
Megane R26R
Discovery Sport
Defender 110
BMW R9T
Trek Superfly
but sadly no Porsches any more
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

Ouch, hopefully you are back on track again now, if you don't take a chance every now and then you don't know what you might miss.
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

squirdan wrote:well let me see, the lesson here I think is "beware the perma-tanned multi millionaire".

After many years working for large banks I tee'd up what looked like (and I did a LOT of due diligence incl many meetings with the CEO) a move to be global sales director of a small, fast growing fintech business that offered far more optionality and potentially large £ making potential in due course (but half the salary). However, once I got my feet under the table it took me about 2 weeks to work out it was a triumph of spin over reality...and thats being polite.

Shortly after I resigned with no job to go to and money pissing out of every orifice, (which concentrates the mind!) shareholders started to work that out as well and the shareprice halved. and halved again !

thankfully I cut my losses aggressively and quickly such that it doesn't really ever need to be on my CV - but in the intervening period toys like the hotrod had to be sacrificed!

c'est la vie, its only a car !
Oh Dear. At least you tried.

A mate was in a similar situation. He left JPM, where we both worked at the time, to go and work for a Uni friend that ran a successful property business. Unfortunately my mate found that the smaller hands on style of the company didn't fit well with him (ok not the same problem you had) but got another good job. He looks happy and more relaxed than when I knew him at JPM so good luck something good will happen.
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
squirdan
DDK rules my life!

Post by squirdan »

fully back on track, thanks chaps, Canadians came to the rescue
Megane R26R
Discovery Sport
Defender 110
BMW R9T
Trek Superfly
but sadly no Porsches any more
Darren65