Celette Fixture sets

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

TDabney
DDK Newbie

Celette Fixture sets

Post by TDabney »

Hello,

I have recently rediscovered this fantastic forum, which has greatly reduced my efficiency at work over the past few days as I made my way through a few restoration threads. I appreciate the time & energy it takes to fully document projects here and I really enjoy learning from them.

I am fortunate enough to own a Celette bench with the main set of Porsche fixtures 551.300. Yesterday, I was setting up a '69 912 on the bench and realized a few fixtures weren't lining up correctly. After a brief moment of panic, I did some research and found that I need a complimentary set for pre-1972 cars - 551.PA. (The cars I've had on the bench so far have been post-1972). 551.PA has 4 fixtures, 2 for the rear cross member & 2 for the front strut tops.

In my research, the Celette website also listed 2 additional complimentary sets - 551.308 & AN.8. I was hoping there was someone here who might be able to help me with descriptions of these sets. I have Celette's setup sheets for them, but am not certain what they might be used for. 551.308 looks to be a sill/rocker guide maybe? To help align the rockers? Not sure... And I have no idea where AN.8 is used.

I'm hoping to start a thread of my own here shortly... I work SLOWLY!! so I'd like to get a little further along so I don't bore everyone w/the snail's pace.

Thanks so much for the help.

Tom D.

ps: I'd love to post some photos, but couldn't figure it out. Do I need to upload them to an image hosting service first & then link to them? I'll do a little research into that as I always find threads more fun to read w/photos....
TDabney
DDK Newbie

Re: Celette Fixture sets

Post by TDabney »

photo test

sorry, didn't seem to work.
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

This didn't work because the file doesn't exist. Here is the url that you posted

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vag36gpqn3hon57/IMG_5105.jpg

If you copy and paste this into a browser you get a 404 error.

Here is the url for an image I will then add the [ img ]xxxx[ /img ] tags too.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3883/148 ... fae5_b.jpg

Hope this helps.
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
TDabney
DDK Newbie

Post by TDabney »

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for the help w/photo posting. I did upload a photo to my DropBox account to test with, but later deleted it as it didn't show in the thread directly, but just provided a link for viewers. The other forums I post to typically allow uploads directly to the site & don't require images to be hosted elsewhere (hopefully I got the terminology correct there!) I just set up a Flickr account & uploaded some photos there to test with. We'll see if it works - new process for me. Is there another/better option for image hosting websites?

Thank you,
TomD.

Photo test:

TDabney
DDK Newbie

Post by TDabney »

OK, I still don't see the photo showing up...

Here's the url: https://www.flickr.com/gp/31904475@N00/2n5544

And here's what happens when I paste that between Image

In addition to the url link, I also have options for HTML embed & BBCode.

What can I do so the image shows up in the DDK forum thread page directly?

Thanks for your help!!

TomD.
cobb911
Married to the DDK

Post by cobb911 »

Hi Tom, I use photobucket; when you upload the image and select it, it puts the required html tags round it for you. If you load the image directly on DDK website I think you get a flogging from Bootsy! :lol:

Regards
Graeme

Black 2003 996 C4S Coupe
Previously
Tangerine 1972 911T
Black 2005 987 Boxster
Grey 2001 986 Boxster S
Cobalt Blue 1991 944 S2

Member #731
TDabney
DDK Newbie

Post by TDabney »

OK, one more try here. I made the image "public":

https://flic.kr/p/Db2nJZ

Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
TDabney
DDK Newbie

Post by TDabney »

OK Andy, how'd you get it to show up?

Here's a try from Photobucket:

Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Tom - on your Flickr page click the downward pointing arrow (bottom rh corner), then 'view all sizes', select the size you want to post then click on the picture & select 'copy picture' & finally paste that between image tags in your DDK post ...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
TDabney
DDK Newbie

Post by TDabney »

Yay, that worked! I'm not sure what the difference between the Flickr link & Photobucket link was. I don't know that I care, as long as I can get them to show up!

Here's a few more & now that the image posting is sorted, maybe we can get back to my original query. Is the moderator/member "Barry" the same as the talented Barry that is mentioned in so many of these restoration threads doing fantastic metal work?

Sorry for being a new person here and not knowing the ropes!

Last edited by TDabney on Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TDabney
DDK Newbie

Post by TDabney »

Thank you Andy. I think I figured Flickr out. If I post the BBCode link w/out the [Img]...[Img] thing, I could get it to show up...

I just realized that was kind of a massive photo dump... I'll be better from now on.

OK, back to business.
TDabney
DDK Newbie

Post by TDabney »

Just following up to put a lid on this thread. I was able to order complimentary sets 551.PA & 551.308 through the distributor. I received the fixtures yesterday and installed them on the bench this AM - and all is good.

551.PA includes 4 pieces. (2) for the rear shock tower/cross member and (2) for the front upper strut mounts. These are for pre-'71 chassis.

551.308 looks to be used to locate the seam where the floor meets the outer rocker. The set up sheet says it's for '70+ chassis. The tub on my bench in the photos is a '69 & is currently w/out outer rockers and a floor, so I can't verify for certain. It'll be interesting to see if these are useful - there's a lot of variables in the inner-outer rocker/floor/door shell area at play!

Now I have no excuses!

I did also have a brief PM exchange w/Barry, who was kind enough to chat w/me. Wish I lived less than 6k miles away!

Here are some pics. I didn't take any of the (2) rear shock tower/cross member jigs (not sure why!) but you can see one in the upper left corner of the last pic. in the background:

camperco
DDK rules my life!

Post by camperco »

Hi there tom. When you say you ordered the fixtures through your local distributor - did you buy them or rent them?

Angus
Angus Watt http://www.greatworthclassics.co.uk

Greatworth Classics & VW Camper Company

Its a feature - not a fault sir..
TDabney
DDK Newbie

Post by TDabney »

Hi Angus,

I bought them. I work so slowly (hobby, not my real job) that renting isn't practical. Not cheap, but the additional fixtures completed my existing set. I rationalized it by thinking of my bench as an investment (yeah right!!!). : ) : )

Tom