New Website Launched!! Feedback please...

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

964RS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

New Website Launched!! Feedback please...

Post by 964RS »

Constructive criticism or just blatant pi$$ taking feedback much appreciated and of course expected!!

http://sweepinghand.co.uk/

After Googles changes earlier in the year to their new page rankings system for 'mobile friendly' websites I played around with a few options but nothing made my site work how I wanted it to.

So after 6 years of the old site I decided it needed a total refresh and to try and make it look really good on all formats - desktop, tablet (ipad) and mobile. This is no mean feat as what looks good on one has a tendency to look utter crap on the others!

Anyway after 4 months of head banging and too much of that dreaded 4 letter word ('work') I've finally launched the new site in the new format and hope it looks good on whatever you choose to view it on. In the end had to rebuild 300 separate watch pages to make them all look the same but think it was worth it. The intention is to try and regularly add to the News sections also going forward with interesting content about some rare and different pieces (I've been far too lazy with this in the past).

I hope you like it (there's a few little things I'm not certain on but will run with for now) and feel free to tell me if it's not working properly on whichever format you view it on please :)

http://sweepinghand.co.uk/

Oh and merry xmas and happy new year and all that bollox.... :P
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

radioboy1
Married to the DDK

Re: New Website Launched!! Feedback please...

Post by radioboy1 »

I think the site looks great, my only constructive criticism would be to try and photograph all the watches in a uniform fashion (the same angle) so that page looks tidy. Otherwise spot on 8)
KS

Post by KS »

Meh...
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
MonkeyChap
I luv DDK!

Post by MonkeyChap »

Hi

It all works pretty well and is sensibly laid out. It's not a very modern looking site, but I guess that's not too unusual for watch sites.

Only criticism is lack of prices. Nothing more annoying than teaser sales - I'd guess you also get a lot of timewasters calling only find out they can't afford it.

Ian
Ian
'84 Carrera
'71 2.2S (long gone)
'65 Spitfire
'06 RS4 Avant
myatt1972
DDK rules my life!

Post by myatt1972 »

Looks like a lot of work when you only have 2 watches for sale :blackeye:
Keith...

73 911e sporto
73 914 2.0l
86 928s S2
85 Mazda Rx7 (TWR)
85 Mazda Rx7
The Bonser fork truck
Volvo V40 T4 (200bhp workhorse)
Ants
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Ants »

There's lots of good info on the site, but I agree with the above, it doesn't look very modern or cool. The colours let it down and make me think of Goldsmiths, or some other high street outlet.
I hate seeing POA on car dealer sites, so the same applies here too.

Oh, and happy new year :)
Ants
'71 Karmann Ghia convertible
VW T5.1 California
2022 Defender 90 Hard Top
http://www.bondsails.co.uk
964RS

Post by 964RS »

radioboy1 wrote:I think the site looks great, my only constructive criticism would be to try and photograph all the watches in a uniform fashion (the same angle) so that page looks tidy. Otherwise spot on 8)
Agrred thanks - the photos all come from previous sales whereby they were just photographed as and when, indoors outdoors etc. Going forward they will all be photographed the same way on a black leather background so should over time look cleaner (I couldn't rephotograph all the ones that had gone....)
Jason

964RS

Post by 964RS »

myatt1972 wrote:Looks like a lot of work when you only have 2 watches for sale :blackeye:
I agree!!!

But selling watches has never been the hard part.....it's finding the really good ones that is the ball breaker....that's why some of the site reads a bit crap as it's full of keywords and keyword phrases for Google and their silly robots
Jason

Burma-Shave
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Burma-Shave »

I disagree about the style, I think it suits the watches..overall I'm impressed mate. I don't particularly think they all need photographing in the same style, as long as it is the same quality. Two different watches may not suit the same background?

The POA thing is a conversation starter - what is the reason so many vendors do it? Does it mean you get to get people interested and then let them down gently about the price? I would have thought it increases enquiries from dreamers as others have said..

My main gripe - watches need bigger images!

So, as a potential buyer, I was interested in looking at the Omega memotronix as it looks dead nice - and was hoping for a lush, detailed, screen-filling picture, but when you click it comes up disappointingly small.

I would 'apply' for a price, but the POA makes me assume it is out of my reach. Probably correctly!

Good luck with it.
1990 964 C4, 1999 Boxster 2.5
'89 BMW E30 325i Touring. '83 Mercedes 280E. '84 Citroen 2CV. '16 BMW i3 REx. '03 BMW R1100S. '99 Yamaha R1. '79 BMW R100 scrambler.

Member#0336
964RS

Post by 964RS »

Ants wrote:There's lots of good info on the site, but I agree with the above, it doesn't look very modern or cool. The colours let it down and make me think of Goldsmiths, or some other high street outlet.
I hate seeing POA on car dealer sites, so the same applies here too.

Oh, and happy new year :)
Ants
I'm very uncool and Goldsmiths sell more Rolex than any other company in the world so that's ok. POA rules :wink: :lol: :lol:

Appreciate the time to feedback Ant cheers :salute:
Jason

Bewildebeest
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Bewildebeest »

Ants wrote: it doesn't look very modern or cool.

Ants
Surely for Vintage watches, with quality, tradition etc that's exactly what you want ?

No prices doesn't bother me - I know I can't afford them.
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

I doubt buyers or even window shoppers care about 'modern' or 'cool', but care very much about clarity and up to date-ness. I like it for what that's worth and it worked well on my MacBook. How much was (or is) the Bundeswehr and what year is it? W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
964RS

Post by 964RS »

Burma-Shave wrote:I disagree about the style, I think it suits the watches..overall I'm impressed mate. I don't particularly think they all need photographing in the same style, as long as it is the same quality. Two different watches may not suit the same background?

The POA thing is a conversation starter - what is the reason so many vendors do it? Does it mean you get to get people interested and then let them down gently about the price? I would have thought it increases enquiries from dreamers as others have said..

My main gripe - watches need bigger images!

So, as a potential buyer, I was interested in looking at the Omega memotronix as it looks dead nice - and was hoping for a lush, detailed, screen-filling picture, but when you click it comes up disappointingly small.

I would 'apply' for a price, but the POA makes me assume it is out of my reach. Probably correctly!

Good luck with it.
Nothing of mine is really POA - the one watch on there that is at the moment is actually on ebay with a price now it just needs changing (I though I had done it).

'On Hold' in watch circles means someone has agreed to buy and is just subject to sale....it's a way of showing people it's no longer available....maybe Deposit Taken may work better for people not into watch jargon?

Johnny did you realise you can click on the pictures in the watch gallery and it blows them all up bigger and you can flick through all the larger images?

PS The Omega is gone and with a DDKer up your way actually......
Jason

964RS

Post by 964RS »

Winston Teague wrote:
I like it for what that's worth and it worked well on my MacBook.

How much was (or is) the Bundeswehr and what year is it? W
Thanks Winston that's good to know Macbook was one I'd not tested.

The Bund is also sold now but with our noble leader Bootsy here:-
http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk/heuer-bu ... 4541824579

Although it's probably twice what he paid for it now :wink: :wink: :lol:
Jason

Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Site looks great but think you need to get a tan and wax a little.