Post-project: bliss or blues?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post-project: bliss or blues?

Post by KS »

Having spent four years tearing apart, refurbing and rebuilding my car, I had very mixed emotions. In fact, although it was undoubtedly exciting to take the first proper drive up to Surrey and back, since then I've not had this overwhelming passion to drive it for the sake of it. Sure, I've put about 1500+ miles on it since finished, and enjoyed the feedback it gets, but...

Will I feel different next year when the sun's out? Will I feel different when all the bugs are ironed out? Will they ever be ironed out? Will I feel different if ever it stops raining?

Or am I a 'journey' not a 'destination' person?

I felt the same way when I'd finished my last Cal Look Beetle. It had everything I'd ever wanted in a Bug – 200+bhp motor, five-speed trans etc etc – but the only time I really enjoyed driving it was when I shipped it to California for some events and drove it round the sun-kissed streets of Orange County. As soon as it was back home, I hankered after a new project – and it had to be another Porsche. And here I am.

So, with two other long-term projects on DDK that were sold soon after completion (Mike's RSR and Andy's 904), I can't help wonder. I used to say I wouldn't sell it unless somebody in a perfect 930 Turbo offered me a straight swap. But then I'd probably get bored with that. Or would I?

How have others felt at the completion of a long project? I'd be interested to know...
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
jonno1
I luv DDK!

Re: Post-project: bliss or blues?

Post by jonno1 »

I doubt you will be alone in this.....half the fun of these things is in the planning, scouring the internet, having something to think about that isn't the day job. Maybe start to plan some events/drives in it next year? I also know that I have bought more cars in the months November - February than any other time of the year.....these cold dark days are dangerous!!
1958 356A Coupe
987 Gen 2 Boxster
986 2.5 Boxster
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

I found the same with my orange 3.5, partly because it turned out to be so quick that the only proper place to drive it was on track, which was not my intention at all. I also did several thousand miles in it, including a trip to Slovenia and CLM. It has now sat in my garage for the best part of a year! I have found that the cars that are the best to drive are the slower standard cars, the 2.4S, the 2 litre 911, both of which I enjoyed driving much more. Now I enjoy old Range Rovers, perhaps it's my age :(
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Dark nights - spend time more in bed with a loved one or somebody with few sexual morals.

And plan your next Road Trip and enjoy the all for all it's worth. You may enjoy the planning and building but to not enjoy the driving is a real shame
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
wildtexas
DDK slapper chatter

Post by wildtexas »

Tis the Season, Keith.

I found myself pondering a change for a more recent classic only this weekend.

My first Bug, in 1989 was 15 yrs old (and kippered), it became my first UK cal looker.

My 912 is now 47 years old, I was thinking about a Lotus Elise as a more modern classic.

Buy a sunbed and take some Vitamin D.

Then get on T'internet, buy everything you want for Xmas and give to the other half to distribute to all those relatives who ask what you want.

Works for me, I get what I fancy and the family get stress free shopping.

Matt
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I totally sympathise with KS.

I have concluded the very same, I like/want/need the Journey, the destination is just a small light at the end.

I did my 911 in 1988/89 and loved the destination, hillclimbing it for 14 years led to the Lola Porsche, a huge project with so many challenges, but felt a bit lost after.

The Lola is 1/2 the 911's weight, track only and more power..but still I think spanners are nicer than wearing a crash helmet.

I have just finished a long time ambition of restoring a classic Lambretta, a lovely thing now done. It is now for sale. The destination does not hold me.

Just started a Honda CB 175 Super Sport, a 1974 classic Jap bike, bet that will be the same.

The journey is everything to me, enjoying the destination (assuming you have arrived at it with these projects) can be a bit of a disappointment.

I still have the 911, a lovely thing to go out in on a good day to a good place with the wife. It is fast (when I'm allowed to go over 4000 rpm) and turns heads everywhere.

The Lola gets the same attention and id a lovely slow thing (operator error/mojo)

Keith, get another project, you know what you have in mind, a change is as good as a rest.

Will also add that the BMW Z4 2009 I have just bought is a wonderful car, but that might be my age showing.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

So I've now got my hot rod after quite a long project! The problem for me is that living in leafy surrey, you can't really go and have a nice recreational drive. I'm deeply in love with the driving experience as it's fantastic, raw, adjustable, fast, brilliant. I don't commute by car any more either. I used to use my 996GT3RS as a commuter car which was utterly brilliant. When I changed work and stopped driving every day it sat in the garage and didn't really get used. Then I sold it (doh).

I will have to make the effort to do more expeditions. And maybe get it insured for business use so I can use it when I do travel to client sites for work.

Certainly feeling down now the salt is out and the car is staying in the garage.

Tricky one!

Graham
sladey

Post by sladey »

I know I tend to bang on about this but why don't you try driving it every day Keith. Firstly you'll get to enjoy it more and the daily wear and tear will lead to more mini-projects/upgrades/enhancements - either because stuff wears out or because you realise what you really want to change after driving it more. Also it is what they were built for.....

Just a suggestion......
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
hot66

Post by hot66 »

I've kept cars I enjoy long term and sold cars I didn't bond with. Interestingly 'project ' cars never stay

A lot of it is about the car, but in reality I only really enjoy drives with a destination / meaning .... Which is why Road trips are so much a part of my car enjoyment .

The other week took the wife away to Wales in the 964 ..., weather was terrible but it was a superb couple of days and more memories created with the car ..... My 964 is one of my cars that is going to be with me for a long time

So my conclusion Keith, get out there on road trips with friends / loved ones and use the car .... If it doesn't click get rid and think what do you actually want out of a car?
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I've always admitted that I enjoy the build process - especially the research & tracking down the 'right' bits - & it always seems something of an anti-climax when the car's 'finished'.

However I did drive the car on a couple of DDK trips, each of which was ~ 1500 miles (down to the Porsche Factory & up to the Scottish Highlands) so did get some use out of the 904 before I sold it.

I do find that trips in the company of like-minded others (not specifically DDKers or even Porsche owners) are more enjoyable than 'solo' blasts though...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
dean1057
DDK forever

Post by dean1057 »

Problem being Keith is that the dark wet nights the cars are locked away and we all surf the web looks for something different.
I'm the same......normally end up buying something in winter.
Was even looking at Renault Alpine GTA Turbo with a few electrical issues the other night wondering if it would be worth having a pop at and had to think sensibly for once.
Need to take up another hobby in the winter time!
964 C4 1990, Metallic Black
3.0SC 1978 Targa Imported from California, Guards Red
3.2 RS Replica, 1984 GP White & Blue
997 gen 2 Gt3, 2010 Aqua Blue
996TT Riveria Blue.....sold to Geebee but not forgotten
and a few Motorbikes!!!!
KS

Post by KS »

sladey wrote:I know I tend to bang on about this but why don't you try driving it every day Keith. Firstly you'll get to enjoy it more and the daily wear and tear will lead to more mini-projects/upgrades/enhancements - either because stuff wears out or because you realise what you really want to change after driving it more. Also it is what they were built for.....

Just a suggestion......
The problem is, that's not possible with the amount of work I have. Another annoyance is that the car is garaged away from the house (I don't own a garage), which tends to take the edge of any 'instant drive'. The garage is also too small to work on the car.

But, as I do suffer from SAD, maybe I'll just need to be patient.

I do look forward to group drives, even if there seem to be relatively few like-minded people down this way. Plenty of tractors, though...

Fascinating to read, though, that I am clearly not alone in this...
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

What we need is more group drives! Although I have used up my 3k mile insurance limit in just over 2 months! Have to insure it for business use in the spring I reckon.

I do always have the winter rebuild on my single seater which takes a goodly amount of time though.
KS

Post by KS »

I'm also about to get stuck into my motorcycle project, so maybe that will help...
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

Definitely not alone Keith - 5 years on my 914 and it's done less than 1000 miles since it was finished 3 years ago. I'm just not motivated to drive it. I have bought 2 924 projects since and am happier to tinker on those than use the 914.

I have toyed with the idea of selling the 914, and though haven't put it on the market so far am seriously considering so it next spring.
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold