Good roads around Glasgow?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

911SE
DDK slapper chatter

Good roads around Glasgow?

Post by 911SE »

Hi, I'm in Dumbarton for work this week and just go to know that all my meetings are cancelled for tomorrow. Thought I'd take the chance to see something before flying back to the sandbox tomorrow evening.

Tips on good driving or motor/technical museums ar this area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Magnus
Magnus
1971 911 2.2T
1995 993
silverfox
Married to the DDK

Re: Good roads around Glasgow?

Post by silverfox »

Magnus, drive in the hills between Faslane at Helensburgh and Loch Lomond, great roads and views. Don't worry about the Military Police too much. If you've got a bit more time head to Loch Rannoch and do a circuit of the Loch. Be canny with your speed, lots of activity.

Have a good day.

Paul
Silverfox
Porsche 912 - 1968
Porsche 914 - 1974
Volvo PV544 - 1959
alastairp
DDK above all

Post by alastairp »

Not sure exactly what you are after in terms of views, distance, fast roads, twisties, absence of traffic etc.

A good day out would be to take the A82 North out of Dumbarton heading for Loch Lomond.

Around 2/3 of the way up Loch Lomond, keep straight on at Tarbet (i.e. don't turn right to stay on the A82) and follow the road through Arrochar and on to the Rest and Be Thankful (A83).

Follow the A83 to Lochgilphead and turn right at the mini-roundabout onto the A816 heading for Oban.

When you get to Oban stop for lunch - visit Ee-Usk an absolutely excellent fish restaurant located on the North Pier (look for the red roof). There is also a very goof pizza/ pasta restaurant immediately adjacent.

Continue North on the A85 out of Oban and turn right at Connel to take the A828 over the bridge heading for Ballachulish and Fort William.

Don't bother crossing the Ballachulish bridge and going to Fort William. Continue on the A82 back towards Loch Lomond through Glen Coe, Tyndrum & Crianlarich.

Keep your eyes peeled for the wooden tops though.

Be safe & enjoy.

Alastair

PS Did I say, you must visit Ee-Usk.
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

As Paul has said the A817 Haul Road is one of the best in Scotland. You may always want to try the Duke's Pass which is the A821 just out of Aberfoyle.
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
bjmullan

Post by bjmullan »

alastairp wrote:visit Ee-Usk an absolutely excellent fish restaurant located on the North Pier (look for the red roof). There is also a very goof pizza/ pasta restaurant immediately adjacent.
Thanks for the tip Alistair I'm spending a couple of nights in Oban later in the month!
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

911SE
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 911SE »

Thanks a lot for all the tips, i've got the whole day tomorrow so will try to take in the much as I can, already looking fwd to that fish restaurant. Wish I'd known about the day off in advance, then I'd certainly rented something more nippy than the very tired Seat Ibiza...
Magnus
1971 911 2.2T
1995 993
210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 210bhp »

Pop round to Border Reivers on the shores of Loch Lomond and see if Tom will hire you something a little more interesting (DDKer). If not, there looks to be plenty of stock to drool over.

http://borderreivers.co/status/on-sale/

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
alanchester
DDK above all

Post by alanchester »

On the museum front there is always the Riverside is always good and it's free!

http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/museums/r ... fault.aspx
81' 911 SC Guards Red
911SE
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 911SE »

210bhp wrote:Pop round to Border Reivers on the shores of Loch Lomond and see if Tom will hire you something a little more interesting (DDKer). If not, there looks to be plenty of stock to drool over.

http://borderreivers.co/status/on-sale/

Regards
Mike
That is a great tip Mike, i've been looking at mk1 GT3s for a while and got rather excite about the red LHD one, until I saw its a no airco model :-(
Magnus
1971 911 2.2T
1995 993
911SE
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 911SE »

alanchester wrote:On the museum front there is always the Riverside is always good and it's free!

http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/museums/r ... fault.aspx
Thanks, full of great suggestions here!
Magnus
1971 911 2.2T
1995 993
misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

If you're into urbexing, Pollphail is really worth a look - and it's a brilliant drive from Glasgow. The Riverside museum and all of the roads already mentioned are a good shout. For food, I like the wee sandwich shack in Oban, next to the CalMac terminal, and there's a great chipper in Tyndrum if you're doing a bit of a loop.
911SE
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 911SE »

misteralz wrote:If you're into urbexing, Pollphail is really worth a look - and it's a brilliant drive from Glasgow. The Riverside museum and all of the roads already mentioned are a good shout. For food, I like the wee sandwich shack in Oban, next to the CalMac terminal, and there's a great chipper in Tyndrum if you're doing a bit of a loop.
Thanks, all good stuff! I think it'll keep me busy for tomorrow.
Magnus
1971 911 2.2T
1995 993
bjmullan

Post by bjmullan »

Can you make a note of your journey, times, places visited etc. Then Mike can use it for the next Scottish Tour that he will organise :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

911SE
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 911SE »

bjmullan wrote:
alastairp wrote:visit Ee-Usk an absolutely excellent fish restaurant located on the North Pier (look for the red roof). There is also a very goof pizza/ pasta restaurant immediately adjacent.
Thanks for the tip Alistair I'm spending a couple of nights in Oban later in the month!
Can only agree, great restaurant with mussels and fish cakes to die for! Would've posted a photo of the beautiful view but I know how to do from the phone.

Continuing the rest of the loop that Alistair suggested in a few min's, wonderful and relatively empty roads, sun is shining, good day so far!
Magnus
1971 911 2.2T
1995 993
911SE
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 911SE »

Some pictures from today's drive, started off rather grey but soon turned sunny as I got closer to the coast.

Oban - view from the EE Usk fish restaurant that Alistair recommended.

Breathtaking views on the coastal road between Oban-Ballachullish

I think this was somewhere between Glencoe-Crianlarich...

Started off from Lomondgate around 9am, lunch in Oban around noon, back at Glasgow airport around 3pm, plenty of breaks and some rather "spirited" driving to keep the momentum up in the 3 potter Ibiza. All in all a very nice day, again thanks for all the recommendations.
Magnus
1971 911 2.2T
1995 993