911 2.7rs Rep at Coys

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: 911 2.7rs Rep at Coys

Post by mycar »

It seems incredible that in a few short posts the authenticity of this engine has been thrown into doubt.

With all the records that are kept on these rare, very expensive cars, surely it must be fairly straight forward to verify this engine is genuinely what we all presumed it to be ?

For a starter what significance do the stars at the beginning and end of the engine numbers photographed above have. I presume they're there to prevent numbers being added, did all RS engine have the stars ?
Superlight7
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Superlight7 »

23e Heure wrote:
Superlight7 wrote: I'm likely wrong and sure there will be a que of experts to tell me but were some early RS.s not built on 72 shells.
You would say that :lol:
Hmm, you amuse me
1972 911E
1995 993 Targa

1963 Austin Healey (Restored and in long term storage)
Cayenne (The Daily Driver)
Caterham 7 Superlight R400 (Race Car)
BMW Mini Cooper S (Wife's Shopper)
BMW ZM (Wife's "Toy")
Stable yard of horses!!!
23e Heure
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by 23e Heure »

Sorry, only meant as a gentle self deprecating tease :-)

If you read back through the thread, you'll see it's an echo of Jason teasing me for similar reason: like you, my RS rep is on a 72 shell, so we are sitting targets for raised eyebrows if we say such cars a valuable!
James
'87 R4 GTL Clan
'74 914/6 3.0 Texas GT
'73 911 2.7 RS Replica LHD
'72 911 2.4 E RHD (Sold)
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

23e Heure wrote:Sorry, only meant as a gentle self deprecating tease :-)

If you read back through the thread, you'll see it's an echo of Jason teasing me for similar reason: like you, my RS rep is on a 72 shell, so we are sitting targets for raised eyebrows if we say such cars a valuable!
.....dead right.....72 reps should all be ST wannabees, but then.......

:wink:
manipou
DDK addict

Post by manipou »

mycar wrote:It seems incredible that in a few short posts the authenticity of this engine has been thrown into doubt.

With all the records that are kept on these rare, very expensive cars, surely it must be fairly straight forward to verify this engine is genuinely what we all presumed it to be ?

For a starter what significance do the stars at the beginning and end of the engine numbers photographed above have. I presume they're there to prevent numbers being added, did all RS engine have the stars ?
Looking at the number, I don’t think it's incredible that the authenticity is in doubt. However if it's proved that it's original then great!

Personally I’ve not seen any early engine numbers that look like that, but I’m sure Porsche's Classic dept in Germany can clear this up if the new owner wants to ask.
1972 911 2.4T
1991 964 RS
1983 Renault 5 Turbo 2
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Wasn't it the stars that were hotly debated in the "Pesto" "RS"?
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

A couple of points.

The first prototype RS's were built with oil door 72 shells and there are at least two that remain in existence.

Having known the car in this thread and most of the owners since its conversion to RS spec I don't think there is any doubt that there is a question mark about the absolute authenticity of it having a complete original RS engine from top to bottom lifted from a genuine RS chassis.

Still a very nice car.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
Superlight7
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Superlight7 »

23e Heure wrote:Sorry, only meant as a gentle self deprecating tease :-)

No problems....although reading the thread it seems 2 prototypes were built on 72 oil flap cars, making our reps more unique.....just need to find the engine numbers for those prototypes and stamp our blocks up respectively....LOL
1972 911E
1995 993 Targa

1963 Austin Healey (Restored and in long term storage)
Cayenne (The Daily Driver)
Caterham 7 Superlight R400 (Race Car)
BMW Mini Cooper S (Wife's Shopper)
BMW ZM (Wife's "Toy")
Stable yard of horses!!!
Schnellmann2
DDK Fanatic

Post by Schnellmann2 »

I've just noticed this thread and as it relates to my former car thought I would add a couple of points.

Frankly I am gobsmacked to hear there is some doubt about the authenticity of the engine. I bought it on understanding it was a genuine RS engine. I had the car inspected by various people for valuation before and after purchase and also when it was worked upon (Jaz, Maxted Page, Sportwagen, Specialst Car of Malton, Virgin 911 and Coys). At no point was the authenticity of the engine questioned.

With respect to whether it was worth more or less than the £77k plus fees it sold for...well I had it valued a few times and they all settled around the £75k mark. I would have happily sold it for more.

I do know that it drove very well and didn't give me any problems in the 7000 miles of ownership even though it was driven quite enthusiastically at times. Best drive was probably chasing a 991 GT3 in Scotland as part of Pistonheads trip this year. Was a very twisty road and I was stuck like glue to the GT3's bumper. Owner of the GT3 said that my car wasn't standard or I was the next Lewis Hamilton - both completely untrue! He just couldn't believe what a well sorted early 911 can do.

Much as I enjoyed the car I'm too wrapped up with my motorbike at present to consider 4 wheels. Given how prices of early 911s are going through the roof I can't see myself having another unless there is a crash. A pity really.
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Schnellmann2 wrote:
Frankly I am gobsmacked to hear there is some doubt about the authenticity of the engine. I bought it on understanding it was a genuine RS engine. I had the car inspected by various people for valuation before and after purchase and also when it was worked upon (Jaz, Maxted Page, Sportwagen, Specialst Car of Malton, Virgin 911 and Coys). At no point was the authenticity of the engine questioned.

Some of us have known this car for a long long long time.

Just goes to show that even 'experts' don't know everything.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
Magnum
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Magnum »

Apologies in advance Schnellmann - no comment on you or the car but the relative economy of Mike's post really does appeal to me..... never was so much said with so few words!!!

I love simplicity!
Magnus

1972 3.2 RS lightweight. Still a bit scary...
1987 3.2 Carrera. Sold..
1972 Alfa 1750 GTV. Sold...
1971 911E in Silver. So lovely, sold..
1971 911S. sold....
1972 BMW CSL. Stupidly sold...
1968 Land Rover SIIa SWB..rusted in half...
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

So what does genuine rs engine mean? If Bob sourced cases what were the rest of the components?
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

The engine previous to the one currently in the car was also a 'genuine' RS and all the componentry was transferred from the old engine to the new. Superficial checking confirmed that major items were genuine RS. Injector pump, MFI and ignition are/were the real deal, for example. The car latterly ran Clewett XDi crank-fire ignition, but the original distributor etc was with the car.
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

It's only pure academic interest on my part about what one would expect from a genuine RS engine. For me, I'd think somehow that a transfer of major components from one engine to a different pair of cases diminishes it somewhat. I'm not sure how that matters in any way!
Graham
majordad
I luv DDK!

Post by majordad »

911hillclimber wrote:Indeed, you cannot judge/evaluate everything on today's 'view' when looking at actions from the past.

My humble bitza hot rod has had 3 engines along the way from 1988. In 1992 I needed a bigger/better engine to be faster on the hillclimbs, so built a 2.4E/S on mech inj=180bhp.
7R cases and all that but it was just another engine. I sold it to an Irish man for £1000 and bought a 3.2 to go faster on the hill climbs etc for £2K with it's sports cooled box.

These engines came from old porsches, nothing special, but the 2.4 was from an E with all stock parts and S p&b.

It would be a very prized engine today; then it was £200 in bits but complete.

As to this car, if the buyer saw it, fancied it, he has paid what he is comfortable with so all involved are happy.
If the engine is/isn't a real 2.7 RS then that will be for the buyer to come to terms with, he made the decision to buy?

Don't you take this risk via an auction purchase?
Just caught up on this thread now, my post is the one before you made this one, and I AM THAT Irishman. I still have your 2.4 E Engine.
1972 2.4S, since 1988
993 RSR Cup
73 RS Rep Race
2018 GT3RS Lizard