speedo not working, how do i get the cable out

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

davidppp
DDK rules my life!

Post by davidppp »

Right, Bazz..as per my other reply on the other threafd..if the peg which comes out of the box itself ( not the one coming out the speedo drive you replaced) is not turning, you have no option but to open the box up..

This is engine and box out I think...

Sorry....

Let me know what you find...

Kind regards
David
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Sounds bad :cry:

You might be able to drop the front of the box far enough to get the end cover off without taking the engine out, but I have a feeling the gearshift will not come out of the tunnel without dropping the whole lump. :(

This is a 915 box, but I think the 901 is a similar concept. You can see the bevel drive that picks up on the end of the output shaft.

Here is the gear on the end of the output shaft.

Hope you can get at this whilst in the car, dropping the lump out just to get the speedo working for a ticket is very depressing. You could try taking it somewhere that lets you sit in the car to operate all the controls whilst they look around. Chances are they won't even notice the speedo not working, this is exactly how I got around this problem when I got the first ticket on my car ;)
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Not officially an MOT item the Speedo, but an offence if caught on the road.

|The average MOT bay would never notice it wasn't working anyway.
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

For a working speedo, you could temporarily fit a Garmin GPS to the dash !
As for the gearbox, I've split two 901 box's now, I believe youy can get the end cover off with the box in the car. You will need to take off the tail mount and disconnect the shifter shaft. You may also need to lower the tail of the box. (Drain the oil of course) If you need a hand, I'm not a million miles away, Leicester.
Number in members section if needed.
Cheers
Tim
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Just realised you are in Telford, not a million miles from me either (just south of Crewe). So between myself, Tim and yourself we could hit it one evening to at least get it apart and diagnose the problem?

Let me know and I'll book the time off with the wife! :)

I'll bring a trolley you can borrow so if the engine needs to come out we can do that as well!! It's only two pipes, four bolts and the driveshafts!! :lol: :lol: