Fuel lines & hoses

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

Philw
DDK Seasoned Poster

Fuel lines & hoses

Post by Philw »

I'm about to replace the rubber fuel lines (injection rail pieces etc.) and hoses on my 2:0 litre '74 and wondered what other owners recommendations were of places to buy them? OPC, mittlemotor, motor factor, or from the US. I've used them all for various parts over the years but am unsure which way to go for these parts.
Many thanks in advance.
Phil
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: Fuel lines & hoses

Post by jwhillracer »

Local motor factor is probably best - if you have the wrong size/length/type it's easier to replace!
Wherever you get the pipes just make sure that they are suitable for todays ethanol rich petrol - and don't get fabric covered pipe like the original - you won't know that you have a problem until petrol is spraying everywhere....................

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber 3.2 MFI. Part of the family for 30+ years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT (Greyhound Transport!)
camperco
DDK rules my life!

Post by camperco »

I agree. There is a lot of fabric cover fuel line in circulation being sold by GSF, Just Kampers and the like. Its so bad it shocking. It gets eaten by modern petrol and starts weeping.

If you are lucky you will notice it go grey and feel cold to the touch before it goes hard and splits.

Mind you - it has been good for engine bay fire extinguisher sales.

Use Gates from your local motor factor
Angus Watt http://www.greatworthclassics.co.uk

Greatworth Classics & VW Camper Company

Its a feature - not a fault sir..
camperco
DDK rules my life!

Post by camperco »

And dont forget to take the petrol tank out and replace the fuel lines under there too.
Angus Watt http://www.greatworthclassics.co.uk

Greatworth Classics & VW Camper Company

Its a feature - not a fault sir..
Philw
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Philw »

Hmm I was wondering about the lines under the tank.... Haven't done that before but I guess compared to the other jobs I've tackled thus far it'll be ok......
satan
DDK above all

Post by satan »

Hi,

Try speaking with these guys:

http://www.advancedfluidsolutions.co.uk/

you'll want R9 hose..............

Cheers,

Chris
1971 911e
914 KEV
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914 KEV »

Most of the fuel hoses on the 70-74 914 are 7mm (inside diameter).

Under the fuel tank there are two sizes: 9mm (39cm long) for the outlet and 7mm (44cm long) for the return.

And as Chris pointed out, only use R9 or R10 spec fuel hose.
914 Daily driver since 1990
Philw
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Philw »

Thanks for that, it's really useful. AFS list either 7.6mm or 9.5mm so I'm guessing these are the correct ones.
914 KEV
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914 KEV »

Philw wrote:Thanks for that, it's really useful. AFS list either 7.6mm or 9.5mm so I'm guessing these are the correct ones.
Yes, That's what I use.
Philw
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Philw »

Ok all ordered from AFS, does anyone have any views on the breather hoses? Also the large diameter fabric covered pieces on the inlet manifold from the throttle body. I have seen pics on a couple of sites of 914's with lovely clean versions of these so they must be available in that diameter?!?
Philw
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Philw »

Eta now found Dave Darlings useful diagram of the hoses on the pelican parts site which shows all the internal dimensions and the lengths of the fabric covered hoses which make up the rest of the FI system.
914 KEV
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914 KEV »

Philw wrote:Ok all ordered from AFS, does anyone have any views on the breather hoses? Also the large diameter fabric covered pieces on the inlet manifold from the throttle body. I have seen pics on a couple of sites of 914's with lovely clean versions of these so they must be available in that diameter?!?
These are still available from Porsche part # 039 133 241 at a price or from Autoatlanta

Autoatlanta sell a kit of hoses (not including the above) for the 73-74 2.0 in the correct sizes too. http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Vacu ... CKIT3.html
glovebox
DDK slapper chatter

Post by glovebox »

I bought a vacuum hose kit from AA!! Maybe 50 percent of the hoses fitted !! Everything was to small !! Diameter not length!!!
914 KEV
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914 KEV »

glovebox wrote:I bought a vacuum hose kit from AA!! Maybe 50 percent of the hoses fitted !! Everything was to small !! Diameter not length!!!
Never had that problem and have bought a few kits over the years.

All I can think that went wrong is that you received the 2.0 version not the 1.7 one as the hoses are different diameter between the two.
Philw
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Philw »

Thanks, kit looks a good solution, I think I'll try the OPC for the intake manifold pieces. I have asked at Roger Bray as I was looking to buy some other parts, but they didnt get back to me today. Already have that feeling of uncertainty I get when I deal with them! In fact thinking about it I'll ask at the OPC for the rest of the parts and see what they can get, I've been pleasantly surprised before when looking for parts. (I need stuff like engine mounts, rocker cover gaskets and plug leads, coil etc.).