DDK to LeMans ....

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

early_911
DDK forever

Re: DDK to LeMans ....

Post by early_911 »

Helen and I made a last minute decision to go down on the bike. No room for a tent and no accomadation booked we decided we'd try and sleep rough at tertre rouge. It was way too noisy there so we moved to Mulsanne. In the pitch black we found a spot with no brambles and tried to get some shut eye (managed a few hours).

When daylight arrives, turns out that we slept about 10 metres from you (recognised your interior).

It was very early when we woke, and none of you were about. We went for a coffee and to watch a bit of the racing and by the time we came back your way, you'd gone. :(

I thought it was a bit spooky that we'd ended up where we did.

We had a great time and were so glad we made the effort.

After the race we made a short trip to to a lovely hotel about an hour from the circuit. Full of race goers, I'd definitely recommend it and would stay again http://www.hoteltribunalorne.com. Food was excellent.

We're off to Watkins Glen 6 hour race in a week or so (followed by a week in NYC). The cars are a bit less sophisticated in the Tudor racing series, but my god they are loud (went to Sebring last year).

Phil
jury
I need to get out more!

Post by jury »

Great stuff boys 8) Eventful roadtrip, but good to hear everyone got back in one piece.

Darren at CLM in the Mongrel ? Great, I'll take the E :wink: :lol:
# 465

1967 912 Polo Red
1968 912/11 RAL 7001 ' MOD ROD '
1990 964 C2 Velvet Red
1991 VW Vanagon GL (SOLD - Vanagone)
2017 Coleman CT200U

“It’s not where you’re from, it's where you’re at”
hot66

Post by hot66 »

early_911 wrote:Helen and I made a last minute decision to go down on the bike. No room for a tent and no accomadation booked we decided we'd try and sleep rough at tertre rouge. It was way too noisy there so we moved to Mulsanne. In the pitch black we found a spot with no brambles and tried to get some shut eye (managed a few hours).

When daylight arrives, turns out that we slept about 10 metres from you (recognised your interior).

It was very early when we woke, and none of you were about. We went for a coffee and to watch a bit of the racing and by the time we came back your way, you'd gone. :(

I thought it was a bit spooky that we'd ended up where we did.

We had a great time and were so glad we made the effort.

After the race we made a short trip to to a lovely hotel about an hour from the circuit. Full of race goers, I'd definitely recommend it and would stay again http://www.hoteltribunalorne.com. Food was excellent.

We're off to Watkins Glen 6 hour race in a week or so (followed by a week in NYC). The cars are a bit less sophisticated in the Tudor racing series, but my god they are loud (went to Sebring last year).

Phil
Shame we missed you Phil ... Sunday I was up & about from 7am, grabbing a shower etc .. we'd all got packed up & ready to roll by about 9:45 , wanted to get a start just in case there were any problems with John's oil leak

As you , glad we made the effort , really enjoyed it
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

Sounds like a great trip, thanks for sharing James 8)
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Darren65 »

jury wrote: Darren at CLM in the Mongrel ? Great, I'll take the E...
....it's a date! :wink:
shoestring7
DDK rules my life!

Post by shoestring7 »

hot66 wrote:We'd decided to camp at LeMans away from the more traditional and rowdy sites and instead camp at Mulsanne Corner, knowing we had one of the best viewing points and for old boys like us less of the chav crowd banging on all night

To be honest, we'd expected it to be heaving but it turned out to be just right with plenty of space in the trees .

Track getting prepped ready for action :)

Ironically my son James and I decided to watch the start from that spot after catching the Historic and Aston races at Arnage. The big advantage is you can see the whole field travelling at their slowest in the warm-up at Mulsanne corner, while following the race on the big screen and Radio LM is very easy.

We spotted your cars but didn't see any occupants - after a few hours we headed up to Tetre Rouge; parked right outside the entrance (bikes seem to have a licence to park anywhere)until about 1am before heading back to our digs for some shut-eye. Returned to the circuit (again parking outside the gates) at the Porsche curves for a few hours, before heading up to the ACO enclosure on the inside of the Esses for the finish.

After finding the 'lost' (it really isn't) 1906 GP circuit on Monday morning we spent some time on Tuesday at Utah beach before catching the afternoon Caen-Portsmouth ferry back. Got home around midnight; great race, great company and we might even do it again in a couple of years!

C>
968C/968CS/'92 964C4/944t/924S Trackday shed/Cayman/964C2#2/'73 hotrod (gone)
Mini JCW buzzbox
Audi A2 Piech edition
BMW R1250GSA

http://thecarlistblog.blogspot.co.uk/