rear seat belt fixing point ?

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

declang
DDK Fanatic

rear seat belt fixing point ?

Post by declang »

Hi,
Yes, I know, anotehr question on rear belts, but I did search the archive & read the posts there.
I'm trying to figure out if my '75 911 (Coupe) already has the 3rd fixing point for a 3-point belt, and I don't know where I should be looking !

I'm assuming if should be behind the seats somewhere, but would it be up near the rear shelf, or lower down, on some strong part ?

Anyone happen to have a pic handy , or can point me in the right direction ?

I'm assuming I'm looking for a large threaded nut which is wleded onto the chassis somewhere ?

Alternatievely, has anyone fitted children-sized 3 or 4 point harnesses in the rear of a 911, and if so, where can I get them, and is it a difficult job.

As I am in Ireland, I can't just pop in to quickfit sbs too easily !

Thanks for any pointers.

Cheers,
Declan
hot66

Post by hot66 »

I fitted rear belts from a 993 into my 2.4S. My car had the mounting points for a 2 point & I had to drill through the parcel shelf area to bolt the 'reel' to ( using a spreader plate )

James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
declang
DDK Fanatic

Post by declang »

Thanks .. can I assume that using a spreader plate under the parcel shelf gives enough strength for that mounting point ?

I had thought it would have to be secured onto the chassis somewhere ?

Cheers,
Declan
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

using a spreader plate under the parcel shelf gives enough strength for that mounting point
Depends on how rusty the parcel shelf is.... :wink:

Mounting them as James has done bolts them straight though the box section that runs across the car between the rear quarters. Assuming it's all sound this is the strongest part and is similiar to how rear shelf retractors are mounted in modern cars. Should be fine, although clearly I will deny all knowledge of ever suggesting it if you ever decide to actually use the rear belts in anger :)

I haven't done this mod to my car as I know the condition of it's parcel shelf :cry:
declang
DDK Fanatic

Post by declang »

OK. Sounds good.

I've managed to source 3-point & 4-point harnesses, so I assume I can fix the rear of these in the same way ?
i.e. Bolt through the box section ?

Do I need a certain length of bolt for fixing ?

I'm hoping that I'll be able to adjust these small enough for the kids, otherwise I'll have to fatten them up a bit !

Cheers,
Declan
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Sounds OK,

I'd use a spacer tube to stop the box collapsing when you do the bolts up.

Other than that on the four point harness make sure the lap belt sits down low and isn't pulled up by the shoulder belts. Adjust it first and get it tight enough not to be affected greatly by tightening the shoulder belts.

Good luck!
declang
DDK Fanatic

Post by declang »

OK. Now showing my newbie status ... how do I get at the fixing points ?

Does the parcel shelf come off (easily) to give access to the points I need to get at, or is access from behind the engine, above the strut mounting points, I guess ?

Thanks for the info so far guys.

Cheers,
Declan
tanick
I luv DDK!

Post by tanick »

The shelf comes off easily, just undo the luggage loops and ease it out.

If you are going to source rear 3 point belts make sure you get them out of a 911 (of whatever vintage). They are designed to work horizontally i.e. mounted to the parcel shelf. Most other inertia reels won't work like that.

I got some out of a scrapped 964 and am going to weld re-inforcing plates with a nice 12mm hole in them under the shelf.

Apparently you can hire 90 degree drill adapters so you don't have to take the rear screen out.
declang
DDK Fanatic

Post by declang »

Update :
I finally got around to removing the leather trim behind the seats & on the parcel shelf. I bought a couple of 3-point harnesses locally, but couldn't get them adjusted small enough fopr the kids, so gave up on that idea.

While poking around looking for fixing points I found the threaded bushes each side for the 3-point belts, so I got onto Stuart in quickfit sbs, and am now waiting for delivery of the belts & a couple of booster seats for the kids.
(ironically, they could send them to me in Ireland by courier at less cost than going to halfords and buying the same seats !)

Should be here this week, so hopefully I'll get a chance to fit them over the weekend sometime. I'll try to remember to take some pics & post them.

Thanks for the pointers.

Cheers,
Declan