Any audiophiles on here?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Burma-Shave
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Any audiophiles on here?

Post by Burma-Shave »

Neil I am in a similar situation, feeling the need to abandon spotify and go and put a record on.

I have a problem in that after some formative childhood experiences I really fancy some period Bang and Olufsen.

So while we have the audiophiles here, what do y'all think of B+O, cool or fool?
1990 964 C4, 1999 Boxster 2.5
And..'89 BMW E30 325i Touring. '83 Mercedes 280E. '84 Citroen 2CV. '16 BMW i3 REx. '03 BMW R1100S. '99 Yamaha R1. '79 BMW R100 scrambler.

Member#0336
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

Cool...

But bit like Bose today, it was overpriced for what it delivered. But, hey, classic B&O stuff looks gorgeous.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Burma-Shave wrote:
I have a problem in that after some formative childhood experiences I really fancy some period Bang and Olufsen.
I recently bought a 1980's Bang & Olufsen system - I know 'true' hifi afficianados will turn their noses up but I have ~750 albums most of which have been played 1000's of times so they are the limiting factor in terms of the sound quality - not only that, I rarely sit down in the spatially-perfect position (in relation to the speakers) to listen to my music.

I love the hiss & crackles from the vinyl - I really dislike 'digitally remastered' clinical sounds.

_ & I really like the B&O 'style' .... :)
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

neilbardsley wrote:What does everybody have their speakers on?
The floor :wink:

Carpet/rug will help massively.
KS wrote:
redrobin911 wrote:Kef 104/2 'Gold Signature' reference speakers. ...but are too big and ugly for my front room (OK when I was single, though!).
I had my KEFs when I was single and they came as part of the package, love me, love my KEFs! So they got to stay and have now been joined by an equally ugly KEF centre speaker for 7.1 movie side of me :)
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Lightweight_911 wrote:750 albums
What types of music Andy? Do you have "Live at the Regal"?
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

BB King ? - yes.

I have a varied collection but heavily biased towards Blues...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
left4dead

Post by left4dead »

Gary71 wrote:

I always use spikes, are they not the done thing anymore? :?
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
Four
Married to the DDK

Post by Four »

Old skool kit all the way for me.

Moved on to a numbers matching pair of Rogers LS3/5A BBC monitors after IMF and Acoustic Research floor standing and was blown away by the detail. Currently bookshelf mounted and sounding awesome.

Kits got to look good too so I've got period Quad gear feeding them. Love the early B&O too, especially the slide rule models. For me the enjoyment is equally split between the looks of the kit and the sound/performance - a bit like cars.
Doug

ddk member # 1376

silver metallic -1966 912
continental orange 107 -1975 911 C3 sport
polar silver 92E -1995 968 sport - verkauft
redrobin911
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by redrobin911 »

Lightweight_911 wrote:
Burma-Shave wrote:
I recently bought a 1980's Bang & Olufsen system - I know 'true' hifi afficianados will turn their noses up but I have ~750 albums most of which have been played 1000's of times so they are the limiting factor in terms of the sound quality - not only that, I rarely sit down in the spatially-perfect position (in relation to the speakers) to listen to my music.

I love the hiss & crackles from the vinyl - I really dislike 'digitally remastered' clinical sounds.

Once you get a really good DAC then digital come into it's own - this with the dynamic qualities of a valve pre/power amp then things start to happen......
65 911 FIA race car
66 911 RHD restoration
67 911S LHD
74 911 Carrera 2.7 US Spec
79 Aistream Excella 28 MH
97 Bimota Vdue
14 KTM 690R Duke
83 RD350 YPVS
08 Ducati M900
00 Ducati 996SPS
944 T, 3.2 RSR, GT3 - SOLD
Ant22
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Ant22 »

If looking for speakers you should look at ATC. Range of sizes all offer impeccable quality. Amps I am loving my McIntosh, old school cool. But also awesome look for Quad for great sound & build quality. If want slightly more aggressive sound consider Musical Fidelity. Loads of both on eBay. Turntables I love look & sound of my Gyro Dec but Garrard has nice Porsche heritage so you could connect two areas of interest!
MY 73 2.4S
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

left4dead wrote:
Gary71 wrote:

I always use spikes, are they not the done thing anymore? :?
Spikes? Absolutely. Massive great sharp ones. Through the carpet to the concrete :)
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

redrobin911 wrote:
Lightweight_911 wrote:
Burma-Shave wrote:

Once you get a really good DAC then digital come into it's own - this with the dynamic qualities of a valve pre/power amp then things start to happen......
Why is a pre amp needed. My yamaha has one but I'm not sure why
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

redrobin911 wrote: Once you get a really good DAC then digital come into it's own - this with the dynamic qualities of a valve pre/power amp then things start to happen......
I'm having some (digital) hifi project fun at the moment, although I've had to suspend activities at the moment due to lack of time.
I've strung together a raspberry-pi and a "hifi-berry" DAC with an opensource project called volumio (and a tiny bit of soldering). This gives me a digital player costing about £70. In my daftly expensive system (from a different era), I have compared this with my Linn Klimax-DS digital player. The home-built option is indistinguishably brilliant.

I've also built a £12 stereo amp from a chinese kit. Now that doesn't sound quite as good as my Naim amp set up as it runs out of puff pretty easily with my whopping B&W 802s. But still sounds brilliant.

What I really want to do is build a home-built valve amp, but that will have to wait.

Graham
left4dead

Post by left4dead »

Gary71 wrote:Spikes? Absolutely. Massive great sharp ones. Through the carpet to the concrete :)
Phew, thanks Gary. :cheers:

Thought I might have been out of line with current thinking. :shock:
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Current thinking? I stopped in 1993.