I HATE vehicle thieves. Tracker advice

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

gridgway
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: I HATE vehicle thieves. Tracker advice

Post by gridgway »

So the dilemma is cheap and cheerful or expensive and proper. I had an Mtrack in my GT3RS and it seemed good although never put to the test. The supplier gave very good customer service.

If you go for a 35 ebay special and it doesn't work when needed you'd feel a bit of a chump.

Graham
sisu
DDK forever

Post by sisu »

As has been mentioned before place the tracker somewhere on the car that requires it to be lifted and something removed, on most modern cars it is above the fuel tank, using the fuel pump electrical supply - which is activated on most modern cars when the drivers door is opened. So they can't take it off your car while it is parked before they take it.
However be creative and don't post on the internet where you put it. The Mtrack is good as it has a perimeter fence and a self contained battery. By all means buy a cheap £35 tracker with the stickers they have off e-bay and put it somewhere obvious so that the thieves will think that they have removed your tracker.
As for motorbikes/scooters, the same thing applies, you want the tracker located somewhere deep so that you need to remove stuff to get it off, not just under the seat. You can always put a sacrificial e-bay tracker there.
My friend who collects Ducati's had his bike stolen a few times, he had a video camera infront of his house, 4 guys in a refrigerated Sprinter van picked up the bike after cutting the loop in the concrete that secured it to the floor drove off with the alarm going off inside of the van. No one will blink an eye nowadays if an alarm is going off, but he had the police get it. Also be aware that they do have a habit of coming back after a few months when your insurance has paid, to get it again.
Scene tax
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Not sure that above the fuel tank will work in a 911!!

From my Mtrack days it was very hard to find a secret place for it. Glad the car never got stolen.

And, as an aside, having the Mtrack in the 996GT3RS voided my Porsche extended warranty! Daft eh? A completely standalone device with exactly the same functionality as a mobile phone (GPS, accelerometers, cellular connectivity) voided the warranty. Am I grumpy? Looks like I still am. Mind you I didn't renew the warranty and didn't regret it!!

Graham
jim_zzzz
DDK Fanatic

Post by jim_zzzz »

DarthMJH wrote:A friend of mine has the cobratrak installed and he swears by it. I think it costs about £200 a year.
Thanks Mike - hows your 73T going?
jim_zzzz
DDK Fanatic

Post by jim_zzzz »

I wonder if we can get a bulk deal if enough people on here want them?!
sisu
DDK forever

Post by sisu »

gridgway wrote:Not sure that above the fuel tank will work in a 911!!

From my Mtrack days it was very hard to find a secret place for it. Glad the car never got stolen.

And, as an aside, having the Mtrack in the 996GT3RS voided my Porsche extended warranty! Daft eh? A completely standalone device with exactly the same functionality as a mobile phone (GPS, accelerometers, cellular connectivity) voided the warranty. Am I grumpy? Looks like I still am. Mind you I didn't renew the warranty and didn't regret it!!

Graham
:lol: Yeah I realised that would be actually in the boot of the 911 after I posted it, But you get what I mean. Image

The Mtracks have a good reputation and you don't tend to have someone calling you at 3am telling your car has been stolen when it is your driveway.
Scene tax
jim_zzzz
DDK Fanatic

Post by jim_zzzz »

gridgway wrote:Not sure that above the fuel tank will work in a 911!!

Graham
thats strange. Is it just because its Mtrack and not cobratrak? talk about consortiums...
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

Does this render all the above pointless?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-cigarette ... 2800bca3c3

Hope not!

W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
KS

Post by KS »

WTF? How can that kind of stuff be on open sale? Oh wait, it's eBay and they don't care...
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
majordad
I luv DDK!

Post by majordad »

It's like the Military, you make a new weapon, your enemy makes a counter device, you improve yours and so on. The winner is the arms manufacturer. As pointed out here the best defence is a combination with some individual twists.
1972 2.4S, since 1988
993 RSR Cup
73 RS Rep Race
2018 GT3RS Lizard
camperco
DDK rules my life!

Post by camperco »

We use Suretrack. As far I know they are the only company to send a "finder" up the road to actually look for your vehicle or equipment. He's usually an ex-soldier or similar and he'll call the police in when he physically tracks it down using a hand-held device in conjunction with the satellite.

Most other systems impress you with live on-line tracking, great graphics and pinpoint accuracy etc. Try calling the police when its actually moving though. They are not interested until they know who's force area it comes to rest in. There are also some no-go areas that the police refuse to enter too.
Angus Watt http://www.greatworthclassics.co.uk

Greatworth Classics & VW Camper Company

Its a feature - not a fault sir..