Fuel pump recommendations?

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Fuel pump recommendations?

Post by Gary71 »

Having just gone into shock :shock: after looking at the costs of the correct fuel pump for my '72 T can anyone recommend an aftermarket solution, presumably with separate pressure regulator?

I'm running the original Zeniths and the engine is in standard tune (130bhp ish). I'm thinking Facet?

Any guidance will be most appreciated so I can get the car running again soon! :)
Gilbert '71 T
I luv DDK!

Post by Gilbert '71 T »

Hi Gary,

Sorry to hear of the breakdown over the weekend, hope it didnt ruin it for you, excellent pictures btw, the cars looked grrrreat !

The fuel pump will be coming off my 71T which was also running Zeniths, no idea know how old it is, but it's never caused me any problems. it was either going to be kept along with various other bits or sold.

It's a rear mounted pump with 3 pipes running off it supply/feed/return i guess. Do you know if it's any good for you, if so, i'm open to an offer :wink: it may be a quick cheap fix for you.

The bad news is i probably won't be abe to get at it until the weekend/monday next week though.
Darren
71 911T with C3 motor
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

You have a p.m :)
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

They have three lines ? Interesting :) I thought mine seems to use two only, but there is spare floating around down there too. This is good news as I'll need a return when I go to EFI
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

As an alternative to the original pump, for carbs you can use a Facet pump - available new from Europa Spares, Think Automotive, etc.

https://secure.visav.co.uk/avshop/produ ... 32&scat=73

They're usually mounted in the engine compartment - here's a picture of a pair of them used in an original 911R equipped with 46 IDA's:

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Andy,

I assume the Facet would need a separate pressure regulator to handle the return to the tank?

:?:
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

There are a number of different Facet pumps (for both the cylindrical style & the solid-state variety) with different flow rates.

I know several people who use no pressure regulator at all (with their Webers) but I'd be inclined to use a regulator between the pump & the carbs (I like the combined filter/regulators like Filter King but you could use something like the Petrol King). Don't see why you'd need a regulator in the return line though.

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Gilbert '71 T
I luv DDK!

Post by Gilbert '71 T »

They have three lines ? Interesting I thought mine seems to use two only, but there is spare floating around down there too. This is good news as I'll need a return when I go to EFI
mine deffo has 3 lines Tim, i was surprised too, in a good way of course, as i'm swapping in a 77 C3 W/CIS so also need the return line.
Darren
71 911T with C3 motor
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

Hi Gary I have a Facet pump which is not mounted in the engine compartment but underneath the wheel arch. I'm not sure but I believe that it doesn't have a pressure regulator and it's square rather then round. Like you I also have Zenith carbs.
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Thanks all for the advice :)

Hopefully Darren's spare pump will be doing service under my car very shortly :)
Nige

Post by Nige »

I always thought a rotary type pump doesn't need a regulator as they deliver a constant PSI?

I fitted a rotary pump to mine just under the fuel tank, I bought a nice polished ali reg' just in-case. I don't need it now, as the PSI is constant and spot on without it.