Front of motor Pulley seal replacement

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

ivory1
DDK Seasoned Poster

Front of motor Pulley seal replacement

Post by ivory1 »

I need to replace the pulley seal on a 2.7 motor - very low mileage but is leaking from this seal (I think 1) - Can anyone advise ? what are the pitfalls etc

Many Thanks

Andy
haasad
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: Front of motor Pulley seal replacement

Post by haasad »

The seal sits inside the nose bearing behind the bottom pulley, haven't dont one in situ but sugest the "issue" will be getting the old one out without any peripheral damage and then fitting a new one true and square. Removal should be ok if you use a couple of self tapping screws into the flat of the seal and pull on them I wouldn't use a pry bar or similar because of the risk of damaging the nose bearing or its bores ( very expensive to replace and requires the cases splitting). I would turn up a tool to fit the new seal. It would need to locate on the nose of the crank and be sized to push on the total seal diameter to prevent distortion. You may be able to use the bottom pulley bolt to wind the seal in , far better than hammering.
Make sure its all spotlessly clean and use a LITTLE threebond or yamabond both in the seal bore and on the seal.
As I said I haven't done this but think it should be ok, PS much easier with the motor out but if not remove everything you can to get good access and lighting.
ddk member# 1527
Austin Healey 100/6, 1957 Fast Road ( now sold)
75 2.7 S backdated to "r" and very light (now sold).
Adria Camper
Buddy McCrae kneeboard.
Friar Tuck kneeboard.
Lots of Bicycles.
ivory1
DDK Seasoned Poster

Re: Front of motor Pulley seal replacement

Post by ivory1 »

Thanks for the advice -