advice rear coupler bushings

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

lewis
DDK above all

advice rear coupler bushings

Post by lewis »

as the heading, how do you replace these, I have taken the old ones out, or what was left of them, but cant figure how to get the new ones in place. Any advice would be much appreciated :? :?

lewis
68 912
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Do you mean for the rear ARB?
lewis
DDK above all

Post by lewis »

the coupler that conects the shifter linkage to the gearbox. looks like a UJ coupling.

lewis
68 912
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Oh... :) slightly off...

I seem to remember when I changed these on mine I took the UJ assembly out then pressed (using a bench vice and appropriate sockets) out the pin the runs across between the two bushes. You can then fit the new bushes from inside the joint. They can be lined up then carefully tapped home through the opposite side using a blunt drift.

Once you've got the two bushes back in you can press the pin back through the joint and hopefully it should now work lovely with no slop!

Adjusting the linkage is another matter (luck or judgement. You decide), but the Haynes manual captures the basics!

Make sure you change the bushes under the stick and in the rod support near the base of the lever. No shift problems ever again! 8)

Hopefully this is what you needed to know and I haven't just rambled on about totally the wrong subject!
lewis
DDK above all

Post by lewis »

cheers for that Gary, wasnt sure if the pin came out, every thing now becomes clear :) you know how it is getting so close to a finish now but the little jobs keep cropping up and if I dont sort them now I'll only regret it later. :roll:

lewis
68 912