Introduction before delivery!

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Introduction before delivery!

Post by mycar »

Six years ago since I bought mine Clive, around £750 for the pair if I remember correctly which I may not.

Lovely seats.
Tclynes
DDK Fanatic

Post by Tclynes »

Thank you for the seat help, it's definitely top of the list after yesterday, it gets quite frustrating on a long trip, the annoying thing is there is no pattern to when they will click!

I will have a look at the mechanism today, the car has done 90,000 so I'm guessing the part is worn. I love the look of those replacements, but feel I should persist with the originals for now, I'll look into that popper stopper or just getting it welded.

Car did great yesterday despite a complete f%#kmup by me rushing and topping up the tank with 5L of BP Ultimate DIESEL!!! One recovery man later who was a determined to get me back on the road (he races classic minis so wasn't the usual lightbulb changer) we made the afternoon session of the Mini Miglia and she performed superbly and even the better half nailed tulip maps at the first attempt.

Sorry I didn't get a proper chat Mark, we will have to catch up at some point

1966 912 in Red, 4 speed, 3 dial
1960 Saab 96 two stroke engined FIA race car. - built for fun if not outright speed.
2006 RRS HSE in silver, no tints, chunky tyres, the anti Essex spec
1973 BMW 2002 Baur Targa in Yellow
Nick Short
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Nick Short »

Lovely car :bounce:
100702mark
Married to the DDK

Post by 100702mark »

Great to meet you and catch up soon. The car is superb and great to see it being as it should on some superb roads. On the afternoon leg I drove for over an hour briskly on wide open single track roads in great scenery and didn't meet a single car. This is a really good rally that's a hidden gem.
1967 912
Abarth 595 comp
Tclynes
DDK Fanatic

Post by Tclynes »

It was like the roads were closed most of the time, it was a great way to get to know the cars handling and gearbox, thank you for recommending it!
1960 Saab 96 two stroke engined FIA race car. - built for fun if not outright speed.
dogbower
DDK forever

Post by dogbower »

Glad you got going again, I was the strange man who stopped on the M6 to offer help.
Lovely looking car, I was on my way back from a holiday in Devon and had been up since 3am, so may have appeared a bit odd. :lol:

Stuart.
1971 911E
1990 986S
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Where was the rally ? Was this the Yorkshire based one?
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Tclynes
DDK Fanatic

Post by Tclynes »

Stuart, thank you so much for stopping. I think you caught me at the worst possible moment as I had just realised what had happened and the better half was doing her best to stop me jumping under a lorry! luckily we didn't wait much longer.

Thank you for stopping though, was a hugely appreciated act of kindness, will have to make it up to you.

The rally started up near Kendal with a morning loop around there and then the afternoon trip moved back towards Banny's fish and chips which is in Colne near the Yorkshire/Lancashire border.

Tom
b56tle
DDK Fanatic

Post by b56tle »

My passenger seat does the same. It will click back at random times. I took mine apart cleaned etc with no improvement. Looked further into the problem and its the shaft/spindle that holds the cone shape gear that's worn. Only way to fix is to replace the hinge !! I'm gonna try and copy those 'poppers' but with the amount of flex and movement I don't think they will work. I might drill the spindle and split pin the cone gear in the closed/fixed position rather than weld it solid that way I can revert back just in case.

Nice to see a 912 being used . Looks great

Dan
Dan

68 912 Irish Green (Original)
56 VW Oval 2007cc Standing Quarter 13.4 Secs @ 99 Mph (All steel body full intertior + Roof rack !)
Tclynes
DDK Fanatic

Post by Tclynes »

I emailed Ron today to ask for a quote to ship and this was his response..

"These work on a limited number of 900 cars, and it's very difficult to explain where to look.
Briefly, they form a thrust surface to keep the adjusting 'axel' from moving toward the rear. After a short period of time, the factory put a roll pin through the 'axel' to do the same.
If the roll pin is there, these won't help."

Just need to figure out what the roll pin is!

The plastic cover is off my drivers one so I gave it a clean up, will have to see what effect that has next time it's out. May drive down to goodwood at the weekend, will see how these nights go!
911-356 dave
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 911-356 dave »

Hi Tom,
Great looking car. Hope to see it up close soon.
Dave
1958 356A CAB RHD
1959 356A RHD
1960 356B RHD SOLD
1961 356B LHD
1965 912 RHD
1966 912 RHD
1967 911 RHD SOLD
Tclynes
DDK Fanatic

Post by Tclynes »

After a weekend at Goodwood watching those 911's slide around I am back on mission with the 912 (well, once I finish these nights)

I am on top of the seat belt situation and have a chap lined up to look at the electrics and tidy up the wheels, next on the list is mats.

I need some rubber mats for the rear and also would maybe get a carpet over mat set to keep the other half happy, is there a source recommendation from the UK or is it a case of getting a custom set from the USA?

Also, does anyone have any experience with a carpet liner for the luggage compartment, I have found this, but don't want to spend if it's not really up to the job ( http://www.type911shop.co.uk/shop/artic ... %3D7655%26 )

Not long until the May meet up now, and have the MSA Classic before that!

Tom
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Tclynes wrote:After a weekend at Goodwood watching those 911's slide around I am back on mission with the 912 (well, once I finish these nights)

I am on top of the seat belt situation and have a chap lined up to look at the electrics and tidy up the wheels, next on the list is mats.

I need some rubber mats for the rear and also would maybe get a carpet over mat set to keep the other half happy, is there a source recommendation from the UK or is it a case of getting a custom set from the USA?

Also, does anyone have any experience with a carpet liner for the luggage compartment, I have found this, but don't want to spend if it's not really up to the job ( http://www.type911shop.co.uk/shop/artic ... %3D7655%26 )

Not long until the May meet up now, and have the MSA Classic before that!

Tom
Try these. I bought some seal from them for my Targa and it was cheaper than buying them here.

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/

or

http://www.rosepassion.com/en/sel
(en France)
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Tclynes
DDK Fanatic

Post by Tclynes »

Thank you form the links, sorry for the delay I'm replying, had a night shift from hell.

Managed to pop and see the mechanic today, going for a set of new shocks as the current ones are very old and there is a slight golf ball knock at the front, would rather do them now than have to drive through France with them sounding awful. Other quick jobs are a bolt to hold the seat backs in place, indicator relay and electrics for the stereo and cigar lighter.

New seat belts are also on their way.

Felt lovely to get out in it today

Will keep you posted
Tclynes
DDK Fanatic

Post by Tclynes »

Quick update, Bilstein's on order, going to change the bushes too whilst the suspension is apart.

I spent a good few hours cleaning and polishing at the weekend whilst the other half was on nights, and it times right for the weather. Had a few good runs out, over the top of the valley from me and ending up at the top of Crag Vale having an ice cream. She drove great, will be better once the new shocks are on, but the engine was strong which was nice.

A few pics for now...
Image[/URL

[URL=http://s60.photobucket.com/user/tclynes/media/image.jpg2_zpstovw0spj.jpg.html]Image