LSD suggestions for 915 gearbox

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: LSD suggestions for 915 gearbox

Post by Darren65 »

scalino65 wrote: Such as the accelerator pedal..... :lol:
....not sure what you mean but if you're referring to the 'go' foot button that sits to the right of the 'stop' centre foot button?......

.....I have one of those! :wink:
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

IanMcLeod wrote:
sladey wrote:...With the LSD installed
I have more rear grip through the corners (it must have been slipping before but I was unaware)...
Don't believe you. :)
What I should have said was that the inner wheel must have been slipping
IanMcLeod wrote:
sladey wrote:...This in turn meant it under steered more but I corrected that by stiffening the rear anti-roll bar. Now when the rear does let go it's controllable and catchable - to the point where I can provoke it on wet tight 2nd gear bends (should I so desire!)...
The LSD is forcing more power to the inner wheel out of the corner than it needs. This has reduced the effectiveness of the front suspension because the car now wants to go straight on more so causing the car to understeer. So you have reduced the effectiveness of the rear suspension to compensate by stiffening it .
sladey wrote:...the LSD giving me more faith in my cars handling...
You happened to have arrived at a handling situation you like better which is the most important factor in any discussion on the merits of a particular approach. The car is not as effective through the corners now so it slides at a lower speed and is more progressive and easier to catch. Which gives you more confidence in the car and makes it more enjoyable to drive. I am not posting this to be controversial but to suggest you could have got there without fitting an LSD.

Ian.
I don't think I've explained myself properly here. I feel the car is now more effective through the corners, not less. So if I'm "pressing on" through fast corners I feel it's better. I don't feel it slides at lower speeds than before - unless provoked.

The difference is before I wouldn't dare provoke it because if it went then it wasn't coming back. Now because I've been able to 'play' at low speeds I've got more confidence in what will happen at high speeds.

Without the LSD I don't think I would have obtained that confidence.

I don't think you're being controversial Ian, I welcome the chance to think about what's happening and try to understand it
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Brewster
Married to the DDK

Post by Brewster »

Darren65 wrote:
Brewster wrote: Maybe I should start a thread in the Restoration forum........
......that's a must, do it! :wink:
Tada!!!!!

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=52101
1982 911 SC 3.6 backdate restomod
1971 Speedster Replica
IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanMcLeod »

sladey wrote:I don't think I've explained myself properly here. I feel the car is now more effective through the corners, not less. So if I'm "pressing on" through fast corners I feel it's better. I don't feel it slides at lower speeds than before - unless provoked.

The difference is before I wouldn't dare provoke it because if it went then it wasn't coming back. Now because I've been able to 'play' at low speeds I've got more confidence in what will happen at high speeds.

Without the LSD I don't think I would have obtained that confidence.

I don't think you're being controversial Ian, I welcome the chance to think about what's happening and try to understand it
Me saying the set up is less effective due to changing certain settings is rather misleading as everything is interconnected. It is much too complicated to describe with such a simplistic statement because for example making the rear more slidey can make the front more grippy, etc, etc. What you have done is introduced a new component (LSD) and then played with the suspension balance to work with it and get the car to handle better for your driving style. The balance between the way the front and rear of the car now works under braking, transition and power on will all be different now compared to pre-LSD.

What I was trying to say is that just fitting an LSD isn't automatically going to make somebody else's car drive better and there are also other ways to achieve a different balance on a car. Handling is always a compromise and it takes a methodical approach which you seem to have done.

Ian.
A sponge and a rusty spanner

2.4E RHD, 2.4E RHD, 993 Carrera RHD