First Metalwork

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

gridgway
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

First Metalwork

Post by gridgway »

I needed an adaptor bracket to move the the mounting points for my race harnesses to make them HANS safe in the Reynard.

I measured what I needed and was going to get my local fabricator to make it, but decided to have a go myself. Got a piece of 6mm (eeek) mild steel from ebay and a cutting disc for my angle grinder and away I went. Cutting with the grinder in a straight line was horrible, but it kind of worked.

And amazingly it fits and bolts in to the existing fittings without any fettling at all!

gridgway

Re: First Metalwork

Post by gridgway »

And then the question...how do you finish mild steel?

Is hammerite any good? Or get it powder coated? I assume I have to get the holes masked otherwise the bolts won't go through? Or is there a better paint?

Graham
TDK
DDK slapper chatter

Post by TDK »

Lots of options, depending upon how durable you need the finish to be. Powder coat will be very durable, but isn't the cheapest and generally can't be done at home. Spray etch primer and then some automotive or enamel paint often works well.
1973 Gemini Blue 911
jamie
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jamie »

If it's going inside the car and won't get knocked-about, I'd just spray it with etch primer and then Simoniz Tough Black. It's a nice paint for stuff like this.
'68 912
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

cool, gone for some etch primer and some Simoniz. I'll compare with Hammerite which I am used before.

Did I mention how chuffed I was with making a bracket out of steel? It even fitted first time. Measure twice cut once worked!

Graham
sladey

Post by sladey »

Satisfying isn't it?
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

:)

Converted my Lola a month ago for the same reason.
Cutting a straight line with a grinder sounds like hard work!

Mine is all exposed, but made from the light gauge angle iron off eeeb-y and simply de-greased and painted as ever with Hammerite Smoothrite satin black rattle-can, my racer's best friend.

With an old race car you soon get used to making bits, and that is a real part of the fun.

DIY is great if you can.

73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

It's certainly good fun!

Your harness fittings look to be super lightweight there Graham.

I scared myself by reading the Schroth info on the forces involved in a head-on, eeek.

ETA: I'm sure my bracket is over engineered, but wanted it to be stronger than the surroundings rather than weaker!

Graham
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I worked on TRS knowing the Standards, and the cross section of good steel they have in their bolt hole I've doubled in my angle iron adaptor.
The angle shape give good stiffness in many directions.

I recently saw an in car vid of a head on in a rally car, classic drive into a ditch on brakes, the navigator has a Hans, the driver did not.

The distance the drivers head when in comparison was astonishing and he immediately grabbed his head after the abrupt stop. The navigator was looking around and getting out asking if he was ok.

This is why the MSA are getting heavy about Hans and the like.
Wise move for us all.

Buying my kit next week.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Ian 2.2S
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian 2.2S »

gridgway wrote:cool, gone for some etch primer and some Simoniz. I'll compare with Hammerite which I am used before.

Did I mention how chuffed I was with making a bracket out of steel? It even fitted first time. Measure twice cut once worked!

Graham
The last few times I have used Hammerite Aerosol, I haven't been impressed. I find it doesn't like edges and you can still see the metal on sharp corners. Found Wilko's own brand rattle can good, and Halfords.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Yes, it is not as it used to be like many other's products (green issues?)

You need to ghost a covering over and leave to 'dry' and then build up from there, but it is weak, but on a race car good enough protection IMHO.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9