New Exhaust System

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

John_F
DDK above all

New Exhaust System

Post by John_F »

My heat exchangers have holes & my silencer can't be far behind. I've purchased a second hand set of SSI stainless steel heat exchangers from the US which should arrive very shortly. This leaves me with the silencer to find.
I've seen this one advertised:
http://www.automotion.com/exhaust-sebri ... -1974.html
Has anyone any experience of it & would it fit the SSI heat exchangers? Will there be enough space for it under the rear valance? Dansk "bananas" seem very expensive & I don't think they are stainless steel.
The car is a '73 2.0l.

Any comments would be gratefully appreciated.
Dion
DDK Fanatic

Re: New Exhaust System

Post by Dion »

Hi John,
I had a Sebring before i bought from TurboThomas. The Sebring lasted 3yrs. It is quite louder than stock.
Couldn't tell if any significant performance gains were made. It is fine if if you dont want to pony up for the cost of a stock
Porsche silecer. Thw paint does come off rather quickly. Just hit it with some VHT paint and its good for a few more miles.
Good luck. Cheers
Cheers, Dion

‘73 914 Marathon Metallic Blue undergoing ‘2.4’ 6 conversion and chassis/body freshening.
shandyhaggis
DDK rules my life!

Post by shandyhaggis »

John_F wrote:My heat exchangers have holes & my silencer can't be far behind. I've purchased a second hand set of SSI stainless steel heat exchangers from the US which should arrive very shortly. This leaves me with the silencer to find.
I've seen this one advertised:
http://www.automotion.com/exhaust-sebri ... -1974.html
Has anyone any experience of it & would it fit the SSI heat exchangers? Will there be enough space for it under the rear valance? Dansk "bananas" seem very expensive & I don't think they are stainless steel.
The car is a '73 2.0l.

Any comments would be gratefully appreciated.
Hi John

just wondered did you get your heat exchangers from HPH?

Ive been looking at a back box as well for mine as well, Bursch (I think HPH mentioned would work best). For a 76 car is BX 1433 but I think for the 73 its BX 1421. Bit more than the sebring but less than danske.

http://burschexhaust.com/4cylinder.htm

General feedback from the US guys is that they seem to work fine but they wish the paint finish was better.

A local chap made a stainless system for my sons mark 2 golf for £650 - whole system, he does lots of work for classic car owners and would be happy to have a go at my head exchangers. I cant help thinking a custom back box would be similar... but I cant help thinking if he made the HEs they'd be a whole lot more:-)

thanks

Andrew
1976 914 2.0 (Orange now without Brown flecks)
2016 BMW X3 3.0d
2020 Globe Car 640 Summit
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

My experience with exhausts has been that the best silencer for the 4 cylinder engine is the factory style one. They are quieter, stronger, and produce a torquier engine that drives better.

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber (now 3.5 litre on Management :shock: ) Part of the family for 39 years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT
John_F
DDK above all

Post by John_F »

Dion, Andrew & JW,

Many thanks for your comments. I think the choice will be between the Dansk & the Bursch. Is there a source in the UK for either of these?

Andrew, I eventually purchased a pair of second hand stainless steel SSI heat exchangers from a gent in Kansas City on eBay. Apart from a couple of minor dents they look in very good condition from all the photos submitted. I hope I haven't bought a pig in a poke.......they are currently waiting Customs clearance. I hope this doesn't take too long as my MOT expires next month. There was a cheaper pair available on eBay & it was claimed that they fitted all models - 1.7, 1.8 & 2.0. I didn't know how true this was so didn't bid.

Many thanks once again - will let you know what the heat exchangers are like when I get them.
Mr Pharmacist

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

Roger sell the bursch exhausts

And you were right not to bid - although in theory the heat exchangers will bolt onto any engine you then need to have the right exhaust hanger & exhaust to match the HE's - for example i have 1.7 HE's and exhaust on my 2 litre, though do intend changing them soon.

the difference between the HE's can be seen below:

Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
John_F
DDK above all

Post by John_F »

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for that clarification - glad I didn't bid!
eBay can be a bit of a gamble but I always check the Seller's track record first. So far, I haven't been let down (but there's always a first time of course).
I assume you meant Roger Bray, who is on my doorstep, relatively speaking.

Thanks once again.
Mr Pharmacist

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

Sorry - i did mean Roger Bray - I've spent loads with him but am not on first names terms with him ;)
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
1BHP
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 1BHP »

I've recently purchased and fitted the Bursch quiet street direct from them in US, for a '72 2.0l as a replacement for a holey Thunderbird. After much research it seemed like the cheapest option. Pleased so far...
al914
DDK Fanatic

Post by al914 »

Just reading this, I put the Mittlemotor stainless exhaust on both my old 914 and my current one, similar in design as the original exhaust and are nice and quiet (all I hear is induction roar from the carbs and some straight cut gears!) they are also very well made, the first one I bought (on my old one, which my friend Bob still has) is still going strong and must be 15 years old (makes the higher price worth it). Both 914s had Bursch systems at one point but they could not cope with Scotland's weather, and never lasted more than a couple of years :lol:
John_F
DDK above all

Post by John_F »

SSI Stainless steel heat exchangers (second hand) arrived today from Kansas City (via 10 days in UK Customs). They look very good for 2nd hand, with only a couple of scratches on one of them.
Now for the silencer - does anyone know if the Dansk "banana" stainless steel like this one will marry up OK with the SSI heat exchangers:
http://c767170.r70.cf2.rackcdn.com/R039251051D.jpg
jwhillracer

Post by jwhillracer »

Try a standard exhaust gasket as a pattern against the SSI flange - if it matches up, you have a sporting chance!

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber (now 3.5 litre on Management :shock: ) Part of the family for 39 years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT
John_F
DDK above all

Post by John_F »

Hi JW,

Thanks for that. I put the same question on 914 World & Cap'n Crusty thinks I will have no problems. Fingers (& everything else crossed) as I have ordered the Dansk........
shandyhaggis
DDK rules my life!

Post by shandyhaggis »

Hi John

was there a photo of the exhaust flange coming from the exhaust?

I know there are earlier ones with the double flange and the later ones like mine with the single flange. I would have thought if yours is a 73 it would have 2 sets of double flanges HE are the same I would have thought it would mate up ok.

Theres always a hammer and some exhaust tape if it all goes pete tong:-)

Would be interested to see the final pairing if you wanted to take a photo or 2

A
1976 914 2.0 (Orange now without Brown flecks)
2016 BMW X3 3.0d
2020 Globe Car 640 Summit
914 KEV
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914 KEV »

As far as I know, Dansk don’t make a stainless steel silencer that will fit the 914 2.0 73-74 heat exchangers.

The similar looking stainless steel 911 silencer are not compactable with the 914 2.0, as they have different mounts and the tailpipe exits in a different position also.

The 911 silencer will fit a 914-6 heat-exchangers/headers but the tailpipe will not fit the rear valance.

914 2.0 73-74 Silencer and Gasket.

ImageImage

911 Silencer and Gasket

ImageImage

I totally agree that the stand OE exhaust is better.
I have found that the OE Dansk 914 2.0 exhaust will last for a very long time.
I use my daily non-garaged 914 2.0 in all weathers and all year round and have found them to last 10 years, much longer on a 914 well looked after!
Just remember if you only start your 914 and run the engine only and not go for a drive, the silencer will not last as long as the water vapour will sit inside and rust it out from the inside!
914 Daily driver since 1990