Lollipop seats

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

Banjo
DDK Seasoned Poster

Lollipop seats

Post by Banjo »

I have two lollipop seats I inherited with my car which was then sold on with other race seats. The seat faces are in something similar to alcantara and the backs in a sort of carpet type material. They are now surplus to requirements but I was wondering if there was anyway to tell if they are original or replicas? I cant see any markings but any help would be welcome. As I will probably end up selling them any idea how much they might be worth as a replica or original?

Thanks
'Cos youth a mask but it don't last, live it long and live it fast
haasad
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: Lollipop seats

Post by haasad »

Happy to take them off your hands , got an old pair of g series tombstones in brown berber to swap? ;-0
ddk member# 1527
Austin Healey 100/6, 1957 Fast Road ( now sold)
75 2.7 S backdated to "r" and very light (now sold).
Adria Camper
Buddy McCrae kneeboard.
Friar Tuck kneeboard.
Lots of Bicycles.
Banjo
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Banjo »

I will be looking to sell them once I know what they are and don't need any more seats, but thanks for the offer of a swap!
Mike
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Mike »

Any easy way to tell if the are original are if you can't actually fit in them!

The originals were very narrow, designed for the archetypal small framed racing driver and gives maximum support with no movement,
most repros are wider. The originals also have odd shaped sides to them, the left hand differs from the right in that it angles outwards
to make it easier to get in through a lhd drivers door. The very latest replica's do have this feature though.

Just heading out, but I'll post some pictures of an original and the weave of the correct fibreglass for you later to compare with what you
have. If they are originals they are a nice thing to have and to a seat collector worth quite a bit, don't be conned out of them :wink:
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
Banjo
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Banjo »

That is incredibly useful! They are very narrow indeed (I can barely fit in them)although I haven't noticed the angulation on the seats as you describe but I will check as they came with the car separately (but weren't fitted ). The fibreglass to my eyes looks old, but I'm no expert. Unfortunately I am away on business but will post a picture of them on my return.

Thanks very much for the advice. Shame the car has gone....!
Mike
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Mike »

As promised here are some pictures of an 'original' seat, I say original but not sure who was actually making them.
You can see the material is the same all over with the stitched stripe to the central back section, then the lightweight
carpet to the back with has an edging to it.

There's a picture of the weave on the underside, and in the picture of the raw shell you can see the offset to the left
hand side as you sit in it that I mentioned.

Finally you said you had a pair, are they matching I wonder as the lollipop is a drivers seat which in period would
normally be paired with a very basic co-driver seat to comply with the World Sports Car rules of the day, here's a
rare picture of a pair of shells which shows that co-driver bucket. Hope that all helps.

cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
Banjo
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Banjo »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/110552188@N03/

Thanks so much for posting those-much appreciated. I have managed at last to upload some photos to flickr ( another first!). I have also dug out the German archive of the car where the seats were described as 934 seats, driver and passenger. Interestingly a card tucked into one of the flaps in the seats dropped out belonging to Heinz Khausen, so whether he upholstered them or did the paint, is anyone's guess. The car was originally prepared by PS automobiles.

They do look remarkably similar to your photos but it would be good to have an opinion as if I sell them I do not want to pass them off as something they are not. Very nice things all the same and feeling foolish for having sold the car in January to go with them..!