Doh! Missed another one!

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

simon james
DDK slapper chatter

Re: Doh! Missed another one!

Post by simon james »

Winston, A sound reply from a fellow VSCC member! Use your loaf, there are tons of cars for sale in the UK, yes many (most actually!) are overpriced, be cheeky but pleasant with your offer and remember as time goes by sellers will lower their price.
The Porsche market is quite small compared with say the MGB, or Morris Minor market. The vast majority of "Classic Car" owners cannot justify the value of a 356. They perceive a 20k 356 to have a value of about 3k. I speak from experience.
This means that in reality "our" cars are actually quite hard to sell.
So, calm down, throttle back a bit, take your time and believe me something will turn up!
I looked for over a year and ended up with two RHD examples.
It doesn't matter if you speak your mind, because those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter.......!
Lusting after a 30/98, will settle for a 23/60.
Dingbat
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dingbat »

Hi
Place wanted ads, that way if someone does reply you know they are up for selling and your not in so much pressure to buy, there are cars in the Uk but be prepared to go and look, don't put it off and you will do some miles, 356's are rarely cheap what ever way you slice it, and rarely rust free in all my years on working on them I have seen one that was really good, a T6 B that seemed to only need some repair under the battery, all that aside I have done many miles in 356's and they are very rewarding to own and once they're up and at it relatively easy to look after and won't drop in value like a modern Porsche product. The last 356 I did extensive rust repair work on was an A coupe that initially looked really pretty good and bore up to relatively close inspection but while it had a floor and longitudinals much of the underside had gone as thin as tissue paper and I ended up replacing the bottom five inches of the car, but it did have nice outer panels and had not been got at by any half wits, 356's are made from relatively thin metal and had very little, essentially no, rust protection the underseal was applied straight over bare steel and there was no paint inside any box sections just bare metal and they are all very old...
simon james
DDK slapper chatter

Post by simon james »

K, You need to check out the 356 registry website,

http://porsche356registry.org/356talk/1/34742.html

It may affect your timing, judgement and ultimately your decision.
It doesn't matter if you speak your mind, because those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter.......!
Lusting after a 30/98, will settle for a 23/60.
john ruston
DDK forever

Post by john ruston »

Buy something you want within a budget you set.They are toys .

Well presented cars have not decreased in value in past year in U K and I doubt in US as havn't found many bargains in past two months here.

The Auction route for measuring market price is nonsense as most of the dross is dispatched via that route with the best cars going in private deals or the better known dealers.

The cars go from bottom of heap which is usually B Coupe to the fancy Speedster Carrera GT/ 2 litre Carrera G T 's with R H D cars at a substantial preminium.

Make sure you get a 356 to check whatever you buy.
sjm
DDK rules my life!

Post by sjm »

If it was me then I'd pay a visit to Karmann Konnections and PR Services - and be ready to wait for a car that you know will have no hidden stories. In my experience they will be very honest with you - stick with the good guys :)
Simon Moore
1958 356A
1978 Aston Martin V8
1988 Jaguar XJS 3.6 manual
1959 Lambretta Li125
DavidHailMan
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by DavidHailMan »

I recently purchased a 1960 Roadster from European Collectibles in Costa Mesa. I found the car to be under-described the faults the listed were there but they had not mentioned the near concourse chassis i found when I put her on the ramp for the first time, and at it had a huge dossier of invoices.

I would call regularly a dealer you trust as there are many cars that never reach the web site mine certainly didn't, especially someone like European who have a huge turn over of cars and these guys know what they are talking about. Speak to Chris he cool .
David Foster
1960 Roadster
1977 308 GTB
1983 911 SC Cab
left4dead
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by left4dead »

I still have a copy of Classic & Sports Car from year 2000 (?) with a pair of EC Speedsters on the cover. They must be a very reliable company to still be in business and your experience seems to bear this out.

Anyway, enough of that... photos of the new acquisition, please. :wink:

Oh, welcome. 8)
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

http://porsche356registry.org/component ... Itemid=281

Note the comment 'not for the uninformed' but unusual to see a resonably complete A for $25k
maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

Yes Hugo, that 'A' does need a lot of welding no doubt and all the rest but it looks much better than a lot of wrecks that are offered. And going by todays prices he will probably get that.

So as you say unusual.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff