Doh! Missed another one!

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

Kneeslider
DDK slapper chatter

Doh! Missed another one!

Post by Kneeslider »

Hey there everyone!

The quest to find that most elusive of things, a decent unmolested 356 in need of a little work continues...

I called up earlier today to make inquiries about this one...

http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1965 ... c-2353.htm

The pictures and details went up at COP yesterday, California time, and I called them up at about 09:00 California time today, only to find out that the car was already under offer.

They sure seem to be moving fast at the moment!

K
'65 356 SC
'91 Ducati 750/900ss mongrel
1963 Velocette Viper (mostly) with '39 KSS OHC engine
'05 997 C2
1954 FB Mondial 200 Extra Lusso
Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: Doh! Missed another one!

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

possibly a lucky escape! search for Beverly on here and see what people have said perviously about them!
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

Take a look at the photo's of the underneath on the 1964 356C they show with the damaged front for $23,500 (£14,600 approx) Tell me just where would you start with that. The one you mentioned 'K' is nowhere near as bad but the rust you see underneath is only the beginning of what you cannot see! What a difficult thing it must be to buy without visiting to see it for yourself over there. Its a minefield for sure.

At least they did try to show the horrors of the 64 car and its underneath and not just the outer body which of course is a horror as well. For that, at least they have tried to show people what they could end up with. After all if you want to throw your money away thats up to you. PPI using a known 356 guy the only way to be be safe.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Mr Pharmacist wrote:possibly a lucky escape! search for Beverly on here and see what people have said perviously about them!
+1 I wouldn't touch their cars someone on here got badly burned with a very rusty car from them that they claimed was clean!
Last edited by neilbardsley on Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
964RS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 964RS »

neilbardsley wrote:
Mr Pharmacist wrote:possibly a lucky escape! search for Beverly on here and see what people have said perviously about them!
+1 I would touch their cars someone on here got badly burned with a very rusty car from them that they claimed was clean!
...and then take a look at Beverly on all the other car forums....same stories in lots of places...
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

Kneeslider
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Kneeslider »

Thanks for all the comments chaps. However I feel that I have to add that these cars from that vendor seem to be moving very quickly at the moment. They have a green 356C with a beige interior on there now for just under $40k, but again, there are no pictures of the underside etc.

What I'm trying to say is, that I'm willing to go to about $30k for a car, then have shipment and tax on top of that. Does anyone think that I could get a car for that sort of money?
'65 356 SC
'05 997 C2
kvinyl
DDK slapper chatter

Post by kvinyl »

You can definitely get a car for that kind of money but what will your expectations be for it? Will you be expecting to get a nice solid car or one that requires some work? I have to admit that the stock that Beverly Hills CC has looks very enticing at first glance given the prices some of it is pitched at but scratch even the barest of surfaces on each one and you can see big bills waiting to pounce :)
I don't even torment myself anymore looking at their ads on The Samba, etc. as I'd never take a chance on their stock given the amount of stories to be found tearing them apart on the net.
1958 Ghia Lowlight 2.4L FI Supercharged
1959 356A
1968 911 SWB (project)
1993 911 3.6 Turbo
2005 E55 AMG Estate
Kneeslider
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Kneeslider »

I suppose that I'm after something bodily solid, maybe needing paint, interior and mechanicals. I have built cars in the past, including doing my own bodywork, but a 356 is another level of complexity compared to old British sports cars in this area, so the attraction of a 'dry state' car is a big one.

It seems as though the sort of thing I'm after is quite thin on the ground though, because that is what everyone wants!

I'm even contemplating going over to the USA in an effort to source the right car.

I emailed a guy who advertises that he does inspections, who resides about 40 miles away from the BHCC, but had no reply from him.

I have been on the lookout for some months now, and it all seems frustratingly still out of reach.
'65 356 SC
'05 997 C2
slipslide
DDK slapper chatter

Post by slipslide »

Hi
First appogies that this message will be short I am out and about with the family. My car came from bhcc and I was let down to say the least, the pictures looked great. But the reality was far from it. I don't like knocking companies on the web so what I would say is if you feel you would risk buying from them (I have to be honest I don't even look at there stock anymore as I would not risk it) make sure you get it checked. With the amount of rust mine had it was impossible to miss and the cynic in me says the fresh rattle can spray job was for the photos benefit, the masking tape was still on the car so it was very fresh if you know what I mean. I will reply later more in depth but why don't you give Paul at Prs a call great bloke loads of knowledge and contacts.
I will add more later explaining the full extent should be able to show you the pics as well pm me if you have any direct questions
Doug
Last edited by slipslide on Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1967 912
1967 beetle
1960 356B RHD
8ft 6 Phil Edwards
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

K,

If it were just paint, interior and mechanicals as you say above it would be so much easier. The body attached to the chassis is the problem. Points raised above are really valid. There are still I guess cars from parts of California or Arizona or Nevada that might be free of bad rust but everyone is looking for them Worldwide!

As mentioned above PRS would be the people to ask but the big problem is your budget. I have watched in amazement the 356 prices approaching the point where £35 - 40,000 will give you probably a decent but certainly not perfect runner. I have mentioned many times now www.abcgt.com and their chassis and body restoration threads on 356 cars. Look on this and you will see how the work is carried out on rusty cars. With a spit and many tools it can be done if you have some experience but otherwise you need deep pockets to pay for the work.

If I were in your shoes I would spend my money on a second hand speedster rep. These cars have all the looks of the 356 and often the speed but, they have a normal chassis. People on here would recommend the best versions to look at. Its better to have something you can drive than something in pieces in your garage for years. And you will find one of those over here far easier.

Sorry 'K' its the old man in me speaking :(

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

The other option is to save up a bit longer for a solid driver needing minor bodywork or mechanical attention. A longer term rolling restoration should be less risky than a full on body resto and will have you on the road sooner. Plus if there turns out to be a bubble in the market which pops while you're saving you'll be in a strong position as a buyer.
maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
Kneeslider
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Kneeslider »

This is all great advice, and I am indebted to all of you for suppling your hard earned time and experience.

Unfortunately, I would like a 'proper' steel bodied car, rather than a replica. I have run kit cars in the past, and while they can be a lot of fun, they just aren't the same as the real thing.

Regarding the rather intergalactic prices at the moment, I have a very nice '54 plate 997 C2, which is a thoroughly wonderful thing, and I have a bit of a problem justifying paying the same sort of money for a 50 year old basket case, with the associated issues, and the problem with all classic cars, of paying a lot only to find that there was a lot of hidden work which only became apparent when you start removing panels, carpets etc.

Thanks for the tip about http://www.abcgt.com

I think that a trip to PRS or Gantspeed is in order.

My previous classic history includes my '74 Triumph TR6, which I bought from a dealer as an original UK car, which hadn't run for 15 years, seemingly only needing recomissioning and paintwork as well as a few bolt on panels. I ended up replacing half a floor, as well as an inner wing section in addition to all lthe usual hydraulics etc, and in the end, ended up spending as much on my car as a good running example would have cost me, so I know that even when doing all your own work, you end up in about the same situation cash wise, but it takes 2 years (if lucky!) of your life, and untold aggro to get there.

I presume that these principles apply to both 40 year old Triumphs and 50 year old 356s?
'65 356 SC
'05 997 C2
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

Kneeslider wrote: I think that a trip to PRS or Gantspeed is in order.
roy mawbey wrote: Its better to have something you can drive than something in pieces in your garage for years.

I bought my RHD from PRS about a year or so ago. it was a perfectly good runner. the mistake I made was thinking I'd a/ have the requisite skill to restore a car but more importantly b/ the time. - so I 100% agree with Roy. I had a very nice 911 before the 356 and am quite disappointed with myself that this years summer was wasted from a car driving perspective.

good luck with your quest - PRS are nice chaps.
Winston Teague

Post by Winston Teague »

Blimey what a bunch of gloomy responses! I bought a lhd T5 b from Karmann Konnection 5ish years ago. We all knew it had paint/body issues, it was priced a bit high but the haggling reflected the snags. I have had a great time running up the odo by 22000 miles and now its time to attack the rot. I am at the beginning of cut, weld, paint, the end result will not be concours, or restored, it will be mended and ready for another 5 years of thrashing. Ignore the matching-numbers-date-stamped-wheels-it must-be-perfect brigade, read DSJ and Jim Schraeger 'How to buy, restore....' and above all examine the car for as long as it takes. KK were happy for me to jack it up and search underneath with my hi power torch etc and left me to it for a couple of hours. If the vendor refuses to allow this move on but please don't spend 30k $ or £ on something unseen. It's madness.
Know your stuff or take someone who does, and view armed with the cash to close a deal. He who hesitates is lost. They are great, great cars even with snags. Keep positive and good luck. Winston
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
Adrian3
Married to the DDK

Post by Adrian3 »

agree with all the above...the trouble is, even a good looking floor from below can be hiding rusted out longits just above the floor, this can only be seen when carpet is peeld back , and, having just stripped my newly acquired 356, its quite hard work just getting the carpets off!

i just imported, unseen, a $35K 61 Coupe from a Registry guy....you know: no accidents, just a couple of patches needed on floor, strong engine. Reality: its bent, rusty and a non-runner. Its an absolute minefield. Be very wary, control your passions....
Adrian Rendle