Importing a car

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

cobb911
Married to the DDK

Importing a car

Post by cobb911 »

I hope you don't mind my first post being for advice/ opinion. I am looking to import a 1972 Porsche 911T. You may have seen it advertised on here. It is currently in NZ and a non-runner.

Options are roll-on/roll-off or container. Given the restoration required on the car I am not so worried about the odd dent in transit but am concerned about the chance of parts 'walking' from the car on its journey.

RORO may be a lot cheaper but not sure it is worth the extra risk. Your opinions please and anyone you would recommend for shipping.

Thanks and Regards
Graeme
72911E
I luv DDK!

Re: Importing a car

Post by 72911E »

My understanding with RORO is that the car needs to be drivable i.e able to turn on the key and drive under its own power on and off the vessel.

I have used RORO from Japan and Hong Kong with no problems but my car was able to move on its own power.

So, it maybe better to ship by container. Get all the parts that are loose from the car box/crated seperately and loaded into containter with the car. Loads of photos too. I am sure the seller since he is on here will help u out as best he can.
'72 911E Coupe RHD
'72 911S Coupe RHD
shoestring7
DDK rules my life!

Post by shoestring7 »

Have you talked to www.kingstownshipping.co.uk yet? They have a good rep around here - certainly for transatlantic movements.

C>
968C/968CS/'92 964C4/944t/924S Trackday shed/Cayman/964C2#2/'73 hotrod (gone)
Mini JCW buzzbox
Audi A2 Piech edition
BMW R1250GSA

http://thecarlistblog.blogspot.co.uk/
DEEMAN
DDK forever

Post by DEEMAN »

Hi, welcome. I imported a 912 from the States as a RORO (it had to be pushed on and off as it happened!) My guess is that the vehicle is OK re folk nicking bits. There's a contract with the shipping company and if you have photos before and after I would think your car would be safe. Its when it arrives in the UK you need to take care!!
Kingston Shipping I recomend as an agent and I don't think you ever hear a bad word about them.
Where abouts are you in Scotland?

Ian

1965 RHD 91
2001 3.2 Boxster
pht9
DDK forever

Post by pht9 »

DEEMAN wrote:Hi, welcome. I imported a 912 from the States as a RORO (it had to be pushed on and off as it happened!) My guess is that the vehicle is OK re folk nicking bits. There's a contract with the shipping company and if you have photos before and after I would think your car would be safe. Its when it arrives in the UK you need to take care!!
Kingston Shipping I recomend as an agent and I don't think you ever hear a bad word about them.
Where abouts are you in Scotland?

Ian

Can you expand on your knowledge of items going missing when containers arrive in the UK ?, which port in particular ?, you can PM me if its an agent to avoid ?

1965 RHD 91
2001 3.2 Boxster
cobb911
Married to the DDK

Post by cobb911 »

Thanks for the views. I had not contacted Kingstown Shipping but will do.

Ian, I am in Larbert.
Graeme

Black 2003 996 C4S Coupe
Previously
Tangerine 1972 911T
Black 2005 987 Boxster
Grey 2001 986 Boxster S
Cobalt Blue 1991 944 S2

Member #731