So who here would consider a 996

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

rvzz
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: So who here would consider a 996

Post by rvzz »

The Missus has had a '99 tip for about four years . Other than tyres and servicing its only needed an oil pipe replacing . I've thought about selling and getting her something more modern but for what it's worth and what I'd have to spend to get into a newer one its not worth it . I don't really drive it much and when I do I can't say its very inspiring . Having said that if you can find a good one at the right money I'd say its worth the risk , what else could you buy for the money with this sort of performance ?
Russ...

'73E 3.0

Clean living under difficult circumstances
rvzz
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rvzz »

BTW , I live and work less than five miles from Hartech and have never used them . Read into that what you will .
Russ...

'73E 3.0

Clean living under difficult circumstances
squirdan
DDK rules my life!

Post by squirdan »

Megane R26R
Discovery Sport
Defender 110
BMW R9T
Trek Superfly
but sadly no Porsches any more
JAN
DDK above all

Post by JAN »

I had a 2002 facelift c2 996 for two years, sold it in February to a close friend to try a different marque.

I had a great experience, in terms of costs a couple of suspension bushes needed doing, and the coil packs were replaced under my ownership, a new battery, some pads I think, but that was about it. They drive fantastically, i prefer the 2wd models dynamically personally, but that is subjective. The 3.6 c2 is pretty damn quick, and feels very alive. It’s a wonderful daily driver, and surprisingly good on fuel.

I sold my 65k mile well looked after well spec'd one for £14k. I think a good one at that price is a really great buy. I only sold as I fancied a change, and didn’t think the premium to a 997 c2s was worth it, so went for an Aston V8 Vantage.
sdelan
DDK forever

Post by sdelan »

A Ddk-er on here has a 996 Anniversary model which IMHO is the best looking of the 996s - similar to the C4S but 2wd and presumably a very high spec model with extra power :)

Be interested in his impressions of the car

Sd
1970 RHD Porsche 911T - Sold
1988 RHD Porsche 911 Carrera - Sold
912uk
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 912uk »

funny in a twist I looked at an Ex Andy Prill 911SC Martini car.. it's nice.. but it's priced quite high considering no major work eg at least a top end rebuild for the money. Nice paint so what might be under there. So back on track with a 996. I am in no rush esp at the moment with work load but also cos I just put a £2k dent in the fund with new kites, ops. :lol:

Might put my Merc up for sale as I just don't use it anymore.. nice but not needed.
Ian Comerford
I luv DDK!

Post by Ian Comerford »

I wouldn't. Don't like the look, lower quality and why buy a car with a potential (likely) time bomb of an engine. I struggle to see how Porsche has got away with making a range of engines with such issues given their previously held reputation for engineering integrity.

Ian
Sam

Post by Sam »

If I had the sort of job where I could turn up to clients in one I would get one in a heartbeat.

Early 3.4 litre car with amber lenses, any colour except silver, basic spec; just leather and air con, 17" wheels, low owners and miles.

You'll get a lovely one for £15k and I think they're starting to look like classics already. The equivalent 993 would be £30k+ and the 996 is [miles] better to drive.

If I'm honest, I ache for one just a little bit. :(
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
ken c
DDK above all

Post by ken c »

I had a 996 Cab for about 4 years. No issues, did what it said on the tin. I'd have thought £15k will buy you a well sorted car today. Downside is it's still a 996, so probably some time before it appreciates, if ever. Most seem to agree that 997 much better looking, so the 996 may continue to languish.
912uk

Post by 912uk »

or certainly be the car where you buy a 997 front end and swap it over and in years to come then the 996 will be more classic and collectable because every one swaped the fronts over to look like a 997..

you get the idea..

Funny I think the silver is the nicer colour and hides the orange indicators ( well when they are clear anyway )
Sam

Post by Sam »

912uk wrote:Funny I think the silver is the nicer colour and hides the orange indicators ( well when they are clear anyway )
The indicators are what makes the car special :

I like the contrast.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Le Samourai
DDK addict

Post by Le Samourai »

I toy with the idea of a retro look 996, something like the 997 sports classic? I might do it one day if I can come up with any other ideas beyond 'add Fuchs' :lol:

Got the 911 itch.......and the 356 itch.......and the..
misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

Le Samourai wrote:I toy with the idea of a retro look 996, something like the 997 sports classic? I might do it one day if I can come up with any other ideas beyond 'add Fuchs' :lol:

You've got me thinking now, and I reckon doing something to the front lights could work. You've got a reasonably upright round headlamp in there, there's an indicator below it, maybe add a wee grille somehow... And at the rear, well, the lights don't go all the way across, either. Lose the door mirrors and fit ones from an FZR 600 or something similar. It would all hinge on getting those details to work without it becoming pastiche.
Le Samourai
DDK addict

Post by Le Samourai »

misteralz wrote:
Le Samourai wrote:I toy with the idea of a retro look 996, something like the 997 sports classic? I might do it one day if I can come up with any other ideas beyond 'add Fuchs' :lol:

You've got me thinking now, and I reckon doing something to the front lights could work. You've got a reasonably upright round headlamp in there, there's an indicator below it, maybe add a wee grille somehow... And at the rear, well, the lights don't go all the way across, either. Lose the door mirrors and fit ones from an FZR 600 or something similar. It would all hinge on getting those details to work without it becoming pastiche.

I have a 986 Boxster and I've never seen anything that looks good done to the headlamps (I don't mind them myself) flaps, grills and covers of every shape and size have been tried and all look worse IMO.

Through the bonnet filler perhaps?

Got the 911 itch.......and the 356 itch.......and the..
misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

Here's my efforts in MS Paint:

I reckon it could work, and work very well. Well, as long as you posses the skills to reshape the metal around the headlamps...