Using an early 911 as intended

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Pandora
Married to the DDK

Re: Using an early 911 as intended

Post by Pandora »

Oh yes, and Steve, I'm glad to see the 911 getting a proper run. rather than being poushed out into the sleet and snow when last I saw it.
WPS
DDK Newbie

Post by WPS »

Hi Al

To answer your question "why the fiat body" please see attached picture.... :wink:
Attachments
speedwell 850 1.jpg
speedwell 850 1.jpg (90.73 KiB) Viewed 238 times
1952 VW Type 1
1959 Fiat 600
1966 Porsche 912
1967 Fiat 850 Spider
1967 Dodge A100
1971 Greeves Pathfinder

Wolfsburg Performance Services

+44 (0)7880-311850

#wpsengines

ian.clark@wolfsburgperformance.co.uk
Pandora
Married to the DDK

Post by Pandora »

ah, pointy!

Al
steve wright
DDK rules my life!

Post by steve wright »

I'm sure others can give more detailed historical context as to why, but VW powered Fiat's have peppered the drag-racing scene since it began in the late 50's. They were a natural choice Al as they were often rear-engined and air-cooled so the transplant was straight forward. The VW scene has always had Beetle's as the staple drag car in the scene. Ghia's are less common because they weigh more, but they always seem to turn up now and then because of their slippery shape. Over the past decade it's all gone a bit mad - even buses are used now with their own drag racing club. So if you want to race something different you're looking at something rare; and there have been Hebmuller's, Rometsch, and the like all turned into drag cars. The Fiat Spyder was also a trademark car of one of the big influencers on VW drag racing, Darrell Vittone. I guess the other big advantage of the Fiat is it's light and looks fantastic.
'53 356 Pre-A (a box of bits!)
'54 Okrasa/Porsche/VW special
'58 356A Super (GS-spec)
'65 Razoredge Ghia
'66 Westfalia Camper
'70 911S (2.3 ST Le-Mans spec engine)

http://www.pushrod.org

http://www.classicporschemag.co.uk
Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Darren65 »

steve wright wrote:So if you want to race something different you're looking at something rare.
Mmmmm……..Okrasa, vroom vroom! :wink:
steve wright
DDK rules my life!

Post by steve wright »

ah ha, rumbled! in fact Ian and I were talking about the mechanical evolution the Okrasa Special might've taken through the Sixties. First up with be a pair of Solex P11's, then likely to be the Shorrock supercharger. But I could help think that the car deserves to go on the strip at least once, with a decent motor. I've a set of NOS Empi slipper skirt pistons and barrels and SPG roller bearing crank that will give just under two litres of rev-happy motor. with about 180hp pulling along a featherweight Special, it should make it no slouch :)
'53 356 Pre-A (a box of bits!)
'54 Okrasa/Porsche/VW special
'58 356A Super (GS-spec)
'65 Razoredge Ghia
'66 Westfalia Camper
'70 911S (2.3 ST Le-Mans spec engine)

http://www.pushrod.org

http://www.classicporschemag.co.uk
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Steve you are clearly demostrating that these cars response well to be drived regularly!

However, you are also clearly very busy so I will take one for the team and take your cars out for blast just to keen them going!
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP