Should I Ship All My Porsche Parts From U.S. Back With Me?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

H120
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by H120 »

Hello all,

I posted an introduction thread a few weeks back; we are moving to Aberdeenshire very soon and I'm at the stage of deciding what to do with all my spare parts. The movers are coming to survey our belongings tomorrow and let us know exactly what they will and will not ship as part of my 'household goods' consignment.

I'd like to get an idea of what the parts supply situation is like in the U.K. I have a lot of stuff: transmissions, engine cases, P&C's, MFI parts, heads, brakes, suspension, wheels, lights, interior parts etc. etc.
My plan was to sell off as much as I can while I'm still here in the states as I figure the pool of likely buyers will be bigger; I would keep the money from the sales to buy parts in the U.K. as and when needed. Alternatively I could probably just ship it all over with me and sell/swap stuff here (after the mandatory 6 mo period has passed).

So what's the consensus; are old 911/912 parts in general more difficult to get hold of in the U.K. than in the U.S? and would I have to pay an inflated price to re-buy anything I sold here in the U.S. if I end up needing it for a future project?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Cheers,
Stuart

P.S. The cars are coming with me; kingstown shipping will be taking care of them on their journey west (and North)
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Should I Ship All My Porsche Parts From U.S. Back With M

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Most parts are a lot easier/cheaper to source in the US ...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Ship whatever you can otherwise you may find yourself shipping from the us, baring the brunt of exchange rates/fees, delivery and import tax just to replace what you had before!
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
H120
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by H120 »

So maybe bring what I think I might need, but before I move, sell other stuff I don't want.. like Targa parts? :wink:
GaryD
DDK Fanatic

Post by GaryD »

Brits buying US cars, especially those in need of restoration fill the cars with parts. I did a few years ago & was only charged import duty on the scruffy-looking car. The drawback is that everything isn't insured for the value, but I was told by others who did it that the risk was minimal re the transportation. Get a scruffy Yank to sell over here? Mine landed at Chatham......long way from Aberdeen.
jury
I need to get out more!

Post by jury »

Bring everything with you ( If you can ), that is what I did. Are you relocating back to the UK ? i.e are you British ?

When I moved back to the UK in 2008, I did not have to pay any import taxes on my car as it was classed as repatronage...My project car, which was not running, along with all the parts, were listed as 'Garage items'...again no additional taxes were paid. From memory I just had to prove that I had owned the car for over 12 months.

Chris
# 465

1967 912 Polo Red
1968 912/11 RAL 7001 ' MOD ROD '
1990 964 C2 Velvet Red
1991 VW Vanagon GL (SOLD - Vanagone)
2017 Coleman CT200U

“It’s not where you’re from, it's where you’re at”
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

& going by the prices on 914world, you might want to pick up a couple of rust free 914s to sell over here.

;)
misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

Bring as much as you can, even if you don't think you need it. I'm wanting an early 911 project sooner rather than later, and it'd be nice to know there was a nearby parts source! And if you could bring over some all-red 914 rear lenses, I'd be eternally grateful... :)
H120
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by H120 »

Ok, so I guess the consensus is - ship everything I can. I won't have to pay any import duties or taxes as it will all be personal/household goods - I'd just have to officially keep it all for 6 months I think.

I'm going to sell some of the awkwardly shaped parts that might get damaged during the move, like oil cooler hard lines and front s deco trims. I also have too many gearboxes, I won't be needing 7 of them (I hope). Anyone need 8 & 12 x 19" 996 turbo split-rims?

It will be a long road to go pick up the cars and bring them back to Aberdeen from felixstowe or wherever they land, fortunately both my Dad and brother have car trailers so can help me out thankfully.

I will keep an eye out for 914 all-red lenses and bring a set back for you if I can Misteralz.

Stuart
misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

Thanks! It's also worth considering that Reese's Pieces and fruit-flavoured Life Savers (the only good American sweets) are impossible to find over here, so if you're keen on them I'd maybe bring a box or six over as well. :lol:
Do you know where you're moving to over here yet?
Jasper
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Jasper »

Load the container with Pre 73 parts MFI, engines, boxes, wheels, etc its a once off opportunity to get
an abundance of parts for peanuts, they an't making anymore pre 73. 25% of all Porsche production
went to CA. Can you include a complete set of floor pans for a 64 356C ? You can fit 6 cars in a 40ft containers. Schumacher shipping or Rinkens do good freight deals. PM me for details.
Rds,
Jasper
Email :denisamurphy@gmail.com
97 993C4S,64 356C,9112.7 RS clone,03Manthey K410 GT3,70 2.2 E,86 32 Coupe,66 230SL,70 E type 4.2,03BMW E46M3, 981 3.4S PDK, VW Touareg 3.0TDI..2 Scotties, 22 Aquador.
H120
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by H120 »

Funny, I bring as many Minstrals, Aeros, Quavers etc that I can cram in my bag back here with me.. as well as plenty of tea bags.

Not found a place to live yet; we'll be in temporary accommodation at Hill of Rubislaw for a while. Looking for somewhere West of the city, preferably a converted steading or the like (something with garage space). Trouble is, we don't have the required million quids! Probably will have to rent somewhere to begin with, but finding a short lease will be tough.

I plan to bring what I can over with me; I'm getting hassle from the relocation folks about my compressor and blast cabinet... but 7 oily Porsche gearboxes are ok apparently

I'm not sure about floor pans - I tried to bring a pair of sad-looking early doors but that was pushing it too far
jackstowers
DDK rules my life!

Post by jackstowers »

misteralz wrote:Bring as much as you can, even if you don't think you need it. I'm wanting an early 911 project sooner rather than later, and it'd be nice to know there was a nearby parts source! And if you could bring over some all-red 914 rear lenses, I'd be eternally grateful... :)
I've got all red 914 lenses I want to move on if you're interested
David

1973 914 zambezi green
1972 911T (lhd 71E engine)sadly sold
misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

You'll find another compressor and blast cabinet easily enough. There's a roup at Thainstone once a month.

For houses, try looking at http://www.aspc.co.uk for an idea of what's about.

HTH