To Stripe or not To Stripe

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

smytje
DDK Seasoned Poster

To Stripe or not To Stripe

Post by smytje »

I have a problem...

Whilst the car was being worked on earlier this year, there was a spillage on the bonnet (thankfully smack in the centre) that caused damage to paintwork.. Oddly, just the bonnet, seemingly the paint on the bumper was not affected.. The garage were quick to put their hands up and have offered to fix the problem, rightfully so, at no cost.. but I need to make a decision:

a) The original colour of the car was Irish Green but in the late 90's was resprayed Light Ivory - or rather, an interpretation of Light Ivory. If I respray the bonnet the official Light Ivory, the colours are unlikely to match - although the garage claim that they can do their best.

b) I can put a stripe down the centre of the car.. and I am open to suggestions.. I want to keep the pure classic feel of the car intact.. it is a 911T with not a lot of poke - i.e. don't want to make it look like I have painted go-faster stripes on it! (one thought I had was a centre stripe in Irish Green - true to the original colour of the car... and might look quite nice? What does everyone think about stripes.. one singular fat stripe? or one fat with two thin stripes on either side?

c) the long-winded (2-3week) process would be for the garage to take my fuel cap and ask a paint firm to replicate the colour.. but I am not necessarily keen on not having the car for another month or so.. and see this option as not particularly attractive..

So, to stripe or not to stripe - what do you think?

Jeremy
69T Light Ivory
left4dead
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: To Stripe or not To Stripe

Post by left4dead »

I had thought of stripes in the original Irish Green before I got to the part where you mention it yourself. In a similar design to Mike's (Mycar) & Keith's (KS) would be my choice.
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

Thick Irish green stripe, 10mm wide irish green stripe either side of it. I'd be tempted to just do the bonnet and scuttle, leaving the roof and rear end as they are.
smytje
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by smytje »

Thanks guys - I think I am onto something with the Irish Green stripe (in fact I just PM'd Chris Jury to see if he is willing to mock up a few images)..
69T Light Ivory
left4dead

Post by left4dead »

A class stripe:

8) 8)
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

If you want to keep the two ivory colours apart i.e. bonnet and wings, you could do the bonnet Irish green with a centre stripe(s) like Keiths in the ivory. You could carry that theme onto the scuttle and the front bumper.

Regards
Mike

Edit, you could leave the underside of the bonnet ivory to match the rest of the interior and the wings when it is in the upright position. They only need to concentrate on painting a good job on the exterior.
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
mycar

Post by mycar »

Stripe it. :wink:

If you have it done in vinyl it needn't cost a lot and you can peel them off anytime you like.

If you have suitable photos of your car, perhaps someone her would kindly photoshop some stripes for you.

They did for me......

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewto ... lit=bl00dy

Regards, Mike.
smytje
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by smytje »

Thanks Mike and Mike - great input.

Chris has very kindly agreed to try to create his magic at some point over this weekend (highly appreciated) in the meantime if anyone has the urge, here are two photos of the car that might help:

The garage is suggesting that the stripes might look better on the bonnet and the engine lid only - I am confused :roll:

Thanks, Jeremy
69T Light Ivory
mycar

Post by mycar »

hot66

Post by hot66 »

James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

I would suggest getting the bonnet painted to match the rest of the car and putting stripes on it in vinyl. That way, the car is all in the same colour and if / when you get bored of the strip you can remove it or change it with very little effort or expense.

Your car looks lovely in the pictures as it is and it would be a shame to add a stripe to cover up a mistake that the garage is happy to rectify. Surprised you would need to be without the car for 3 weeks to colour match the paint, must be a quicker way to do it.

Just my 2p.

Feroz
The force is strong in this one ......
Codfather
Married to the DDK

Post by Codfather »

I would agree that just the bonnet and lid should be done if you go down that route, but how about getting the whole bonnet wrapped in Matt black in the meantime.
Cheers
Dave
1979 911sc
2010 Range Rover Sport
2013 Mini D
964RS

Post by 964RS »

Depends if you really want the 'hot rod' type look or just see it as a way to get round this problem?

If you don't REALLY want your car too look like a hot rod (personally I think it looks great without the stripe) then I'd really consider just getting it done properly. Do they actually need your car while the paint is being matched??

I'm a big fan of hot rod look cars.....but on hot rods
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

I love a stripe or two but with Jason on this one. They should be able to match the paint and spray it for you in a lot less than 3 weeks

Ask yourself - before the paint damage were you going to stripe it? If the answers no then don't compromise now, get it back to how it was before.
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
jury
I need to get out more!

Post by jury »

Not trying to get out of any work :)

But I do agree that the car already looks great, and if the garage has said that they will sort the paint problem then I would get it done...it would solve a whole load of potential problems (and lost profit) if you wanted to sell in the future.

By all means, vinyl stripes can be added, but it makes sense to do this only once the paint damage has been fixed.

Cheers
Chris
# 465

1967 912 Polo Red
1968 912/11 RAL 7001 ' MOD ROD '
1990 964 C2 Velvet Red
1991 VW Vanagon GL (SOLD - Vanagone)
2017 Coleman CT200U

“It’s not where you’re from, it's where you’re at”