Zenith Weber carb backfiring versus a simple check.

An archive of any Porsche 911 technical threads

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Chopperman
Married to the DDK

Zenith Weber carb backfiring versus a simple check.

Post by Chopperman »

Why did I not do a simple check?
Having found some Weber`s and being able to rebuild one thanks to Mike Bainbridge, I fitted it to the right side (4-5-6 cylinders). MYTH 1) Weber`s will fit on the Zenith inlet manifold. MYTH 2) The Zenith throttle linkage will fit directly onto the Weber carb. The fuel pipes from the Zenith will not fit Weber`s.
I checked the clearance of the inlet valves when I first got the car as this was the easiest and I wanted to polish the covers up as it had been off the road for over 15 years. DOH they`re magnesium!
I fitted the Weber, as Zeniths are `prone to back firing and popping` the problem I have had with mine even after a full rebuild!
Result..... pig to start and would not rev, pop, bang back firing, carb blowback etc etc! The exhaust down stubs are all cold!???
Why did I not do a simple check last year?
Checked the timing again, slightly out, put the timing `pick-up` on all the NEW plug leads and number 4 is not firing! Swap the plugs over, number 4 still dead, put the `old` plug lead on number 4, now have 4 and 5 firing, number 6 STILL popping etc.
As I have got two straight through silencers, the outlet from the exhaust was making a `Fluffing` sound from the right bank. I had thought this was because the number 6 was not firing!
Why have I not done a simple check?
Did a compression test on the cylinders number 4 150psi, number 5 160 psi, number 6 55psi. Eureka! A year of messing about and a simple check! :lol:
Took the exhaust rocker cover off. NO MOVEMENT on number 6 exhaust valve! It took one and a half turns to loosen the rocker.
Compression now on the luke warm cylinder 155psi.
Had to finish and make sunday lunch. Rocker cover going back on tomorrow and hopefully tuning will resume.
Why did I not do a compression test?
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Zenith Weber carb backfiring versus a simple check.

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Sounds like a good result though ... :)
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”