911 Doors - difference with early and later doors?

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

72911E
I luv DDK!

Post by 72911E »

What is the difference with an early door and a 74-89 onwards door?

Anyone got a photo that shows the difference?

Thanks
'72 911E Coupe RHD
'72 911S Coupe RHD
TheEasyLife
I luv DDK!

Re: 911 Doors - difference with early and later doors?

Post by TheEasyLife »

I'm happy to be corrected but afaik later doors have an impact bar in them to protect the occupant and they don't have the additional holes and bolts for the door pockets in the right place at the bottom of the door. Easily remedied with a drill. Ask me how I know! I have some pics somewhere of my doors as my passenger door is a later one. Will post them once I find them..

Hth

James
1979 SC Targa - Long term project - in storage - purchased 10/16 - last looked at it in 08/18..
Fascinated with 911 seats and induction systems!

Previously
1973 911T in Gulf Blue (with 2.4E ITB's, EFI and EDIS) - from 07 till 16. Sorely missed.
TheEasyLife
I luv DDK!

Post by TheEasyLife »

Pics of mine in Jan/Feb 2011 IIRC when we fitted door pockets. Left is later, right is early style.

Left Door: Note 4 large holes at the bottom with 6 small ones and bar as seen through hole behing door handle
Right one:Note 4 large holes and 8 small ones and no bar in door handle hole

You can see the 3 colours my car has been clearly on these pics. Viper Green, Guards Red and Gulf Blue.. Hmm, Viper Green, lovely.

HTH

James
1979 SC Targa - Long term project - in storage - purchased 10/16 - last looked at it in 08/18..
Fascinated with 911 seats and induction systems!

Previously
1973 911T in Gulf Blue (with 2.4E ITB's, EFI and EDIS) - from 07 till 16. Sorely missed.
72911E
I luv DDK!

Post by 72911E »

Thanks James.
'72 911E Coupe RHD
'72 911S Coupe RHD
Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Sam »

Also 964 onwards doors have a single slot for the two window frame adjusters in the edges of the doors, earlier cars have two round holes. You can weld the gap up to make the later door look earlier but it's a faff.

Lots of restored cars have this telltale as when you ordered a door for an early car Porsche sent you a 964 door. This may have changed now.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Also the shape of the door inner is slightly different at the front edge so the waist rail trim doesn't attach properly. But a really simple bit of steel to bridge the gap sorts that.

So it's not original, you need to drill a few holes, and weld a few up (the mirror mounting) But for me the advantages of a rust free galvanised door with a side impact bar were greater than all that so I have late 964 door on my driver's side and will probably replace the passenger side at some future point.
Rostrenner
DDK Fanatic

Post by Rostrenner »

@James: The left door should be an early G model US Coupe door because it already features the side-impact reinforcement but still has the 3 threaded plates at the bottom. Later G model and 964/993 doors don't feature those any more.
Looking at your right-hand side door, the additional slotted hole next to the oval hole could be the old-style window stop for a Targa.

This is a picture of my early G model Euro Coupe doors (out of a 1975 911 Targa):

That's another LWB F model door featuring this addtional slotted hole (no info on the donor car):

Cheers,
Jan
'72 2.4T Viper Green -> Video | '73 2.4T Signal Yellow (project)
Rostrenner
DDK Fanatic

Post by Rostrenner »

Here are some examples of additional holes that Gary was referring to:

That's again an early G model door with comes with 3 holes in the front inner section (AFAIK for power mirror/window wiring loom; compared to 1 hole in LWB F model doors) and an additional third hole in the rear inner section (AFAIK the alarm system) where as only 2 door lock holes can be found in f models (see red & green door next to each other):

Another detail of early G model doors that I remember is a reinforcement panel inside the door in the door lock area (no pic unfortunately).
'72 2.4T Viper Green -> Video | '73 2.4T Signal Yellow (project)