O/T Worlds best 4x4?????????

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Tony
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Tony »

Ok I'm a sucker for these but it might just be over the top for the snow - even if I could afford it
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/ ... ar/1192522
Ian Comerford
I luv DDK!

Re: O/T Worlds best 4x4?????????

Post by Ian Comerford »

Interesting, the G Wagen is far more refined than any Land Rover but cannot match any Land Rover off road. Depends what you want it for.

Ian
Tosh
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Tosh »

The G-Wagen-ers (yep, there's a forum for them too!) see their cars as "Land Rover Rescue Vehicles"
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)
Ian Comerford
I luv DDK!

Post by Ian Comerford »

Maybe, but only because they are less reliable. If a Land Rover got stuck somewhere a G Wagen would never get to it.
Tony
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Tony »

Ian Comerford wrote:Maybe, but only because they are less reliable. If a Land Rover got stuck somewhere a G Wagen would never get to it.
Sorry, fiction put about by residents of Solihull :lol: A number of road tests have had just that Landy stuck G -wagen rescue - not I will agree on those tyres tho'
With 3 manually sectable diff locks only really surpassed by a Unimog!
Ian Comerford
I luv DDK!

Post by Ian Comerford »

Driven both extensively which sort of eliminates driver variability. Would always choose Solihull for heavy off road, but love refinement and quality of the G.

Ian
hot66

Post by hot66 »

I'm ex g-wagon and currently with landie ... Build quality / engineering of the gwagon is on a different page to the landie
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Tp81
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Tp81 »

I learned to drive in a 280ge short wheel base, loved it. Maybe that's why I love my 110 so much. :wink:

Tom-Quarry-2-web by TP021272, on Flickr
DDK#694
jury
I need to get out more!

Post by jury »

Tony wrote:Ok I'm a sucker for these but it might just be over the top for the snow - even if I could afford it
Like the drug dealer look, but wouldn't stand a chance on snow with those tyres :)
# 465

1967 912 Polo Red
1968 912/11 RAL 7001 ' MOD ROD '
1990 964 C2 Velvet Red
1991 VW Vanagon GL (SOLD - Vanagone)
2017 Coleman CT200U

“It’s not where you’re from, it's where you’re at”
dragonfly
I luv DDK!

Post by dragonfly »

Tony wrote:Ok I'm a sucker for these but it might just be over the top for the snow - even if I could afford it
Ouch, please tell me they've displaced the decimal point one place to the right in that price!
One of my pet hates is large 4x4s on low profile rubber like that, but there's something about the G-wagon I've always liked - despite being a LR owner :)
Al
Member #665
'81 911SC Arrow Blue
Dragonfly 28 trimaran - no speed limits at sea
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

Unimog for me I'm afraid, although I do like a g-wagen :)
tanick
I luv DDK!

Post by tanick »

They are not infallible. If you want something that goes on forever, get a Land Cruiser. Pound for pound though the Defender takes the prizze. I've only got stuck in mine twice and every one of those was being stupid way beyond the call of duty.

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/upda ... 1ie5s.html
sjm
DDK rules my life!

Post by sjm »

Currently driving a 2011 110 XS Utility - my second Defender, and I love them. G-Wagons are cool (my mother-in-law had one, swore by it), but the Defender seems less likely to offend :)

In the last couple of weeks I have used my Defender to push a Sainsbury's delivery van up a steep hill when it got stuck in snow - pushed it a good 20 yards and not one bit of bother from my Defender. Last weekend I was in Wales with my wife's Discovery 3, (meant to be MTB'ing and doing Snowdon, but all cancelled due to big snow drifts etc) and we pushed a couple of cars out of the snow, as well as a short stint ferrying some pensioners who were stuck on a coach stranded in snow on way to Snowdon. The council were there with a JCB clearing snow, very slippery and steep roads - council guy asked if I could get down to the coach and bring people back, and I was happy to oblige. "Hill descent" activated, "snow setting" on, and went up and down no problem at all with a car full of grateful pensioners :wink:

Land Rovers - you gotta love 'em! :cheers:
Simon Moore
1958 356A
1978 Aston Martin V8
1988 Jaguar XJS 3.6 manual
1959 Lambretta Li125
misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

We've got a 'Classic' Range Rover and an early L322 and we love both of them in equal measure for wholly different reasons. The Classic's nowhere near as agricultural to drive as you'd think and the only time I've ever got it stuck was when I drove into some boggy ground with a three foot snowdrift on top of it. And it doesn't look out of place anywhere - outside our house, up to its doors in mud, driving over saplings, driving through Central London... Our old Freelander was similarly capable. Our 'new' Rangie I just haven't got the confidence to do similar stuff in just yet, but a large part of that is probably down to the fact that it's still worth five figures and is still quite shiny. It's also very, very luxurious and it doesn't feel becoming of it, driving it through two feet of mud. :lol:
Drove a G-Wagen for the first time in a quarry in Kitzbuhel in Austria last month and was very, very impressed by it. It was supremely capable and very well put together, but you could still 'feel' the agricultural underpinnings. And again, if I'm wanting to tackle Everest in a vehicle, I'm not entirely sure it needs wall-to-wall double-stitched leather, flappy paddles, quad-zone climate and an iPadalike console in the middle of the dash. The G-Wagen 'Professional' they had was more like it - wall-to-wall plastic and vinyl for ease of jet-washing, umpteen gear levers, a flip-up numberplate for hiding the winching point, textured bonnet paint and moulded-in steps to help you up to the roofrack...

I'm going to have to upload my pictures from that afternoon now! :lol:
tanick
I luv DDK!

Post by tanick »

Defender Snow Stories? Police asked me to go past the traffic jam and help two artics that were stuck on a gentle incline on a dual carriageway. This was the second. They were both going to an M&S depot and promised me a hamper, I never got it :evil: