Insurance... Multi or single?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

gturner008
DDK slapper chatter

Post by gturner008 »

I'm fed up! Fed up with not knowing if I would be better off having a multi car policy or carry on with single car policies. I have quite a few cars and feel I am missing a trick by not having a multi car policy. I'm using Adrian Flux, and wondered if any knows for sure if savings can be had with multi car deal ( for classic cars)

Any thoughts/advice?
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Re: Insurance... Multi or single?

Post by Mick Cliff »

Speak to Hagerty's for you classic insurance(s). You'll need to have one 'normal' insurance though.
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
gturner008
DDK slapper chatter

Post by gturner008 »

I'll give them a ring tomorrow. I'm changing cars quite frequently, so want flexibility. Cheers
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

Phil Wood at Hagerty's is knowledgable, but then everyone I've dealt with there has been helpful
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
sng45
DDK rules my life!

Post by sng45 »

I have a multi car policy with Admiral for my modern cars and a multi car policy with Hagerty for my classics - Like you I tend to change my cars on a fairly regular basis (major understatement !) and both policies/companies are good and alter vehicles on both policies with no hassle at all.

I echo the comments made above re Hagerty - their service is exceptional, very professional and friendly people to deal with, a cut above the rest to say the least.

Steve
Jonny Hart
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Jonny Hart »

^ Interesting.

Was pushed in this direction last year by Admiral for our three normal family cars on the premise of it being cheaper. Once they had automatically changed everything over it turned out to be 20% more expensive and the company could not find any record of the call where they explained the wonderful deal. They're all crooks.

I'm with Flux for the 911
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

Regarding 'modern' stuff....

I was at the point of switching from single policies to a multi for the daily drivers. However, a post by Helen put a stop to that. I have two very long NCB and I'd lose one by switching to a multi. Not a big deal, unless you want to switch insurers but it wasn't for me.
sng45
DDK rules my life!

Post by sng45 »

Jonny Hart wrote:^ Interesting.

Was pushed in this direction last year by Admiral for our three normal family cars on the premise of it being cheaper. Once they had automatically changed everything over it turned out to be 20% more expensive and the company could not find any record of the call where they explained the wonderful deal. They're all crooks.

I'm with Flux for the 911
I've had multi-car policies for quite a few years (prior to them being a "mainstream" product), previously through a broker who established a multi-car with (if I recall correctly) Chubb insurance. At the time I changed from Chubb my premium for five modern cars was £4,860pa - I moved to Admiral and the premium for the same cars was £1,380 - so quite a saving ! I work in the Finance/Insurance industry so checked the policy quite diligently and the only differences were my cars were covered for replacement value rather than agreed value ( more important on classics than moderns) and that my mates weren't issued to drive ! So proved to be a good saving for me.
964RS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 964RS »

I have 4 cars on one policy with RH classics and can't recommend them highly enough. All agreed value to...which was a doddle.

Cheaper than everyone I tried incl Haggerty, Classic Line etc etc
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

Sam

Post by Sam »

I have 6 cars on one policy with RH classics and can't recommend them highly enough. 4 are agreed value too...which was a bit of a faff but not too bad.

For my 74 Carrera, 74 914, 84 Jag, 71 bus a modern Volvo and Sharan it's under a bag of sand. Which seemed fine to me.

Plus the guy who owns RH has a backdated SC.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
964RS

Post by 964RS »

Just remember also that with multicar classic policies there is no no claims accrued so if you take a car off in the future you will start from scratch again. That is the same on modern multi policies also. Same if you buy something that can't be added to the multi policy.

I have the modern cars on normal policies as they have all 15+ years no claims and they are protected.
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

gturner008
DDK slapper chatter

Post by gturner008 »

I have a mix of modern and classic - some with NCB and some not (the classic cars). Boxster, Honda and Merc - then 3 old 911s. I guess I will just have to make a few calls and find out....
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

I have 5 (modern) cars and 5 drivers (2xparents, 3 kids) on a multi-car policy with Chaucer (through pace ward) for about 3.5k Considering I was getting quotes of over 2k each to insure the youngest two kids and over £1k for the oldest, I'm very happy with the deal.

I didn't realise about the whole ncb problem on multi-car policies, so I have an issue with going back to normal policies. So I figure I'll just have to carry with the multi-car policies until the kids have gone - there are several to get quotes from each year. My 25 year old has just got her own car and policy, so just another 6 years to go until the 19 year old gets there! Then I might have to brave it and get back into ncb based policies.

Graham
craig001
DDK addict

Post by craig001 »

I had a conversation with a guy from Admiral yesterday regarding the renewal on my daily. Price was reasonable and I considered accepting but then he quoted for a multicar policy including my wife’s car when it is due to be renewed in August.
So a years insurance for mine and cover for hers from Aug to March, to put the policies in sync was over £100 cheaper than insuring mine alone...even he sounded surprised. Anyway I have the quote in writing and will most likely be accepting it. However, I was led to believe that the cars and drivers are completely separate so a claim on or by one wont affect the other and that protected NCD's are safe and separate and will still build up for future use. Am I correct in thinking this? I will definitely be asking for clarification on this when I speak to him again.

I can’t help think it’s a nice juicy worm to hook me in this year ready for a vastly increased premium next year. Luckily I am always one to shop around; I have no loyalty to insurance companies as they have never shown me any!
Craig
----------
'69 911T
'79 VW Westfalia Berlin deluxe
Gone but not forgotten: My rusty old '75 bay
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

we had a modern multicar policy through admiral and it was very good and cheaper than two seperate policies for 1yr, then for the second year it was cheaper to insure all 3 of our cars seperately than it was to insure our 2 "normal" cars on one policy with admiral, even if we had the two normal cars on seperate policies with admiral! :shock:

we had the problem of them not honouring the NCB we'd acrued for that year if we split the policies up again, which didn't really matter as the companies that we ended up going with (swift cover for me, sainsburies for amie) said they would honour it anyway BUT it was given as an upfront 12mo NCB on the policy we took out, so effectively when the ins is up for renewal next month we will have the same amount of NCB as we had 12months ago..