Dashboard restoration

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

NAB
DDK Fanatic

Dashboard restoration

Post by NAB »

My dashboard top has the familiar crack leading off from the speaker aperture - I'm assuming you can't buy a new top from Porsche so has anyone used a company that can make a good repair. Chips Away and the like offer vinyl repair services so I was going to ask them but just wondered if there was any other option ?

911E 1969 dark red metallic
Mercedes 280 se 3.5 coupe black on white
sdelan
DDK forever

Re: Dashboard restoration

Post by sdelan »

NAB wrote:My dashboard top has the familiar crack leading off from the speaker aperture - I'm assuming you can't buy a new top from Porsche so has anyone used a company that can make a good repair. Chips Away and the like offer vinyl repair services so I was going to ask them but just wondered if there was any other option ?

Hi there - I used Southbound and they did an amazing job. They even managed to retain the speaker grill opening.

Not cheap though...

regards
Sean
1970 RHD Porsche 911T - Sold
1988 RHD Porsche 911 Carrera - Sold
Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Sam »

NAB wrote:My dashboard top has the familiar crack leading off from the speaker aperture - I'm assuming you can't buy a new top from Porsche
I'm not actually sure if Porsche now offer them but both RHD and LHD dash tops are available to buy new.

Last time I spoke to him Andy at R-to-RSR had a number in stock, both hands. We've had only LHD, which are excellent, I don't suppose RHD are any different.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Vic Cohen
I luv DDK!

Post by Vic Cohen »

just a polite if pessimistic word ...............be very sure how dry the dashboard is before fiddling with them, no one so far will go near mine ...............suggestion being it could 'disintergrate'!

Was nt aware Southbound cud do repair .............imagined they covererd them in another material ?
There work is so good if they do dashboards as original i wud have no hesitation to use

Sorry for another word of doom and gloom but the NOS Porsche RHD tops bore very little resemblance to original , especially around the screen vent s................should be delighted to hear they ve improved ?
KS

Post by KS »

Vic Cohen wrote:just a polite if pessimistic word ...............

Sorry for another word of doom and gloom
Blimey Vic, sounds like you're turning into one of them EMO kids...
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
sdelan
DDK forever

Post by sdelan »

Southbound's restoration of my dash -

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewto ... =2&t=17430
1970 RHD Porsche 911T - Sold
1988 RHD Porsche 911 Carrera - Sold
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Post by Alan @ CanfordClassics »

I have just got back from Germany (a 22hr driving round trip :shock: )and do have one of the new RHD dash tops in the van. Production on these is changing and soon knee pads and door tops will be available. Once I have some more time I will take some pics. I now also have new SWB and LWB engine lid grills.

Thanks

Alan
http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk
Porsche Restoration & Sales
NAB
DDK Fanatic

Post by NAB »

Thanks for all the input so far. Choice seems to be Southbound or a new one. Alan, once you've taken a look at the new RHD one you brought back from Germany you can tell us all if it's a good fit or whether I am better off having my old one repaired.

Neil
911E 1969 dark red metallic
Mercedes 280 se 3.5 coupe black on white
sfl993t4
DDK addict

Post by sfl993t4 »

Hi

I'm just starting restoration of my rhd 1970 2.2 and was interested in the latest thinking on this as my dashboard is also cracked. I had a look at the link to the southbound restoration thread and it looked good. I also dropped a mail to lakewell about their remanufactured versions but they only do lhd. Any other thoughts or options?

Steve
1970 2.2s - rhd, 1996 993tt - lhd
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Post by Alan @ CanfordClassics »

Hello. I have 1 away at the moment being used as the basis to make more (only RHD). No promises yet but I need some as we have 6 RHD cars in for resto this year.

Thanks
Alan
http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk
Porsche Restoration & Sales
sfl993t4
DDK addict

Post by sfl993t4 »

Hi Alan
Sounds interesting. Drop me details when you have some as I can probably wait to see how the options look. I will no doubt have lots of other questions for you soon.
Steve
1970 2.2s - rhd, 1996 993tt - lhd