Who, where and why?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Who, where and why?

Post by Bruce M »

Observe.
Google a few basic ddk-esk search terms such as "911 forum", "356 forum", "914 forum", "early 911 forum".
No sign of DDK.

Even if you type "old Porsche forum" where DDK gets the 2nd spot, the link doesn't exactly shout 'click here'.

So more likely, it is found through magazine mentions or recommendation.

Which, to get to the point, keeps the trolls away. :)
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Re: Who, where and why?

Post by Bootsy »

Bruce M wrote:Observe.
Google a few basic ddk-esk search terms such as "911 forum", "356 forum", "914 forum", "early 911 forum".
No sign of DDK.

Even if you type "old Porsche forum" where DDK gets the 2nd spot, the link doesn't exactly shout 'click here'.

It's been a policy

As much as sharing the resource within the forum to all and sundry would be beneficial to the wider Porsche community I have always taken the view that by allowing people to discover DDK through word of mouth, magazine references etc. means that we grow at a steady pace rather than receiving countless registrations with the sole purpose of getting a question answered or selling parts/cars. Hopefully then we see new accounts who want to get involved.

Therefore we actually stop all the threads and content being indexed by the Search Engines

I still vet all registrations of accounts and often manually ping them an email asking about their interest in Porsches, what they own etc. if they don't get back to me I don't activate their account.

It may seems strange but I strongly believe it helps protect the community aspect.
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Bootsy wrote:
No sign of DDK.

It's been a policy

As much as sharing the resource within the forum to all and sundry would be beneficial to the wider Porsche community I have always taken the view that by allowing people to discover DDK through word of mouth, magazine references etc. means that we grow at a steady pace rather than receiving countless registrations with the sole purpose of getting a question answered or selling parts/cars. Hopefully then we see new accounts who want to get involved.

Therefore we actually stop all the threads and content being indexed by the Search Engines

I still vet all registrations of accounts and often manually ping them an email asking about their interest in Porsches, what they own etc. if they don't get back to me I don't activate their account.

It may seems strange but I strongly believe it helps protect the community aspect.

and this is why we love you :downtown: :love10:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

hot66 wrote:
Bootsy wrote:
No sign of DDK.

It's been a policy

and this is why we love you :downtown: :love10:

Ah shucks, didn't know you all cared :oops:

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
squirdan
DDK rules my life!

Post by squirdan »

never appreciated the work behind the scenes before but I agree it makes for a far better forum...you only need to look at Pistonheads for confirmation of that ! and reminds me about time i became a member and paid some fees
Megane R26R
Discovery Sport
Defender 110
BMW R9T
Trek Superfly
but sadly no Porsches any more
tim78
DDK slapper chatter

Post by tim78 »

Here’s what actually happened…
I came up with the idea for a Porsche club called ‘The DDK’ I enlisted the help of Bootsy and Miggs to put it together when all of a sudden they launched ‘DDK’.
I’m now patiently waiting for memberships to hit 500million and I’ll be after my £60million
1968 912
1985 911 3.2
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

tim78 wrote:Here’s what actually happened…
I came up with the idea for a Porsche club called ‘The DDK’ I enlisted the help of Bootsy and Miggs to put it together when all of a sudden they launched ‘DDK’.
I’m now patiently waiting for memberships to hit 500million and I’ll be after my £60million
You'll be waiting a good while! :lol:

tim78
DDK slapper chatter

Post by tim78 »

I'm hoping for a flurry any day now. Just 499,996,189 more to go
1968 912
1985 911 3.2
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

tim78 wrote:I'm hoping for a flurry any day now. Just 499,996,189 more to go

Ah but you forget that the paid up membership is a hell of a lot less than registered forum accounts - a hell of a lot less!

Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

MdR wrote:I used to have a pre-DDK Yahoo group screen grab ...

- the first postings on the Yahoo groups forum I think :wink: :

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
MdR

Post by MdR »

Lightweight_911 wrote:the first postings on the Yahoo groups forum I think :wink: :
Excellent - it's not just me with a hard drive cluttered up with pointless images from years ago :drunken:
Martin Rogers
+44 (0)7812 167547
'69 Ossi blue warmrod 3.0 911T
[sold & sorely missed]'67S '70 Targa T '75 914/4 x 2
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Lightweight_911 wrote:
MdR wrote:I used to have a pre-DDK Yahoo group screen grab ...

- the first postings on the Yahoo groups forum I think :wink: :

That's Phil's yahoo group and pre dates the 'Classic Porsche UK' one we then set up on MSN

Miggs
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Miggs »

Bootsy wrote:
impmad2000 wrote:I remember being invited across to DDK from the old forum. A long time ago now !!
I seem to remember Biscuit throwing competitions ?
Ah yes, the infamous biscuit throwing competition at VWoodstock

Myself showing a quality technique

but who was the winner lol

argh the days of classicporsche.co.uk lol didnt last long and funny enough i put up some old pics on facebook of woodstock and the first volksworld show we done i will link them over
COMPUTER GAMES DONT AFFECT KIDS,I MEAN IF PACMAN AFFECTED MY GENERATION AS KIDS, WE WOULD HAVE ALL BE RUNNING AROUND IN THE DARK LISTENING TO REPETITIVE MUSIC MUNCHING PILLS
Miggs
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Miggs »

COMPUTER GAMES DONT AFFECT KIDS,I MEAN IF PACMAN AFFECTED MY GENERATION AS KIDS, WE WOULD HAVE ALL BE RUNNING AROUND IN THE DARK LISTENING TO REPETITIVE MUSIC MUNCHING PILLS
Miggs
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Miggs »

vw woodstock

and MDR i still want this