lightweight flywheel

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

chaos
DDK above all

lightweight flywheel

Post by chaos »

Quick question....

Advantage and disadvantage of fitting one of these.

As I hill climb am worried re the lack of momentum in the lightweight flywheel when competing.

Thanks in advance

Dave
Berny
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: lightweight flywheel

Post by Berny »

Hi the lighter the flywheel the quicker the engine will pick up revs but at low revs the engine may not run as smooth and may stall, most tuned engines use a light weight flywheel and I would expect it to be an advantage in hillclimbing. or sprints.
1971 Targa Sportomatic in Green 1972 2.4e sunroof coupe 1990 964 C2 Member no 82
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

I hillclimbed my 911 from 1990 to 2004 on a stock weight flywheel with first an alum cover plate then a cast iron one (Sach) and went quicker with the iron cover.

There are more things to do with a 911 to go faster than the flywheel!

My starts for the first 64 feet were easier and faster (2.09 secs) with the iron cover.

73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Simon Rudge
DDK forever

Post by Simon Rudge »

I have made flywheels for Rallycross cars (not porsche) in the past that were 3kg heavier than standard. the effect was to make the engine less reponsive, but the greater inertia improved the start line perfomance. You had to be a little careful, with that much energy stored in the flywheel, broken driveline parts were common.

Leave it alone is best IMHO

Cheers
Simon

1970 911T (with E motor)
1978 Moto Guzzi 850T3
daily whatever parts chaser.
TDK
DDK slapper chatter

lightweight flywheel

Post by TDK »

I have a lightweight flywheel in my 911, manufactured and fitted by Canford Classics.

The effect is that the engine spins up more quickly and is slightly more responsive - a good addition when combined with other engine modifications. The very minor downside is that on tickover in neutral you get a slight clatter, but that goes away on dipping the clutch and you obviously don't notice the noise whilst driving.

If you want a smooth, quiet idle and don't have other engine mods then I wouldn't bother.

Simon.
1973 Gemini Blue 911