Everyone needs to read this.

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Everyone needs to read this.

Post by neilbardsley »

KS wrote:As he says, forget driving your historic car, forget trying to modify your car, period – this is the ultimate aim of the proposed legislation.
As you type that aren't you thinking this is complete nonsense? It must include >25% of the cars on the road? I agree the word isn't a rational place and people don't often see the stupidity of that they are proposing, I work for an organisation like that for example, but surely not this time?
Last edited by neilbardsley on Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
theorangeperil
DDK forever

Post by theorangeperil »

...some calming advice from a mate in the auto press...

“My personal advice - don't worry, despite the scaremongering!

Been researching all of this since it came out last week.

Looking into it what they are actually suggesting is that any car that doesn't meet type approval I.e. That isn't standard - should have to go for an IVA test. And that's the very worst case situation. They are not banning anything or making anything illegal.

Most well built cars should pass an IVA anyway, but regardless of that it seems it will be MoT testers that will have the power to decide whether your car needs an IVA test or not. Most of us have friendly MoT testers anyway, so again, shouldn't be a problem if your car is all safe.

Lastly, the chances of the UK taking it up? Minimal in my opinion. It would require millions of pounds to enforce properly and going from past actions I simply can't see the UK going for it. ”

:)
Peter
'69 911T UK RHD enjoying since 2002
'86 924S - Gone but not forgotten. Porsche's best kept secret...
'04 911 40th Anniversary now gone
'11 911 GTS manual of course...
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

theorangeperil wrote:...some calming advice from a mate in the auto press...

“My personal advice - don't worry, despite the scaremongering!

Been researching all of this since it came out last week.

Looking into it what they are actually suggesting is that any car that doesn't meet type approval I.e. That isn't standard - should have to go for an IVA test. And that's the very worst case situation. They are not banning anything or making anything illegal.

Most well built cars should pass an IVA anyway, but regardless of that it seems it will be MoT testers that will have the power to decide whether your car needs an IVA test or not. Most of us have friendly MoT testers anyway, so again, shouldn't be a problem if your car is all safe.

Lastly, the chances of the UK taking it up? Minimal in my opinion. It would require millions of pounds to enforce properly and going from past actions I simply can't see the UK going for it. ”

:)
I have to leave to drive up to Hedingham now but after talking to John Ball, who incidentally knows the German bureaucrat responsible for the discussion paper, it is clear this is not something to ignore.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

theorangeperil wrote:

Lastly, the chances of the UK taking it up? Minimal in my opinion. ”
I suspect most classic cars would fail the IVA hence the hassle it is for speedsters. Once the rule is in place there is nothing to stop the IVA bar being raised (minimum emissions standards?)

If it get signed off as EU law, will that not automatically be forced over UK? Does the UK have an opt out?

Unlike other EU countries, you can't (usually) slip the official a bung to bypass the rules.
NigelC210
DDK above all

Post by NigelC210 »

1974 911 Carrera 2.7 MFI LHD (sold)
1991 Audi Coupe 2.3 20V
theorangeperil
DDK forever

Post by theorangeperil »

Panic over! :drunken: For now? :wink:
Peter
'69 911T UK RHD enjoying since 2002
'86 924S - Gone but not forgotten. Porsche's best kept secret...
'04 911 40th Anniversary now gone
'11 911 GTS manual of course...
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

Read it and weep...

Ian 2.2S
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian 2.2S »

Seems to be even worse than feared.

"If it meets the safety and environmental requirements, the vehicle will not become illegal" :shock:

EDIT:

Assume this means IVA testing. Wasn't sure about emission testing, but just seen New Wheeler Dealers - unfinished Cobra project. The previous owner had given up, and they had to have a complete new exhaust system made up complete with CATs.