modern insurance

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

PSut
DDK forever

modern insurance

Post by PSut »

Went to get a quote yesterday for daily BMW and was amazed, gone up again since last year despite another year of ncb. Every year it seems to go up about £150. Also was thinking of getting an additional car as a cheap runabout but the insurance cost is an issue. I've been using Elephant and they were always the cheapest in the past. Any recommendations for other places to try?
left4dead
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

modern insurance

Post by left4dead »

I bought some insurance through the meerkats for the new (1999) 323i last week. Think it was £460 fully comp. Cheaper than the premium for the (older) W124. :?
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
abm914
Events Organiser

Re: modern insurance

Post by abm914 »

I'm with Elephant and had my renewal recently, which was well up on last year (no crashes, claims, etc :shock: ). Did all the price comparison sites ( good article on moneysavingexpert.com on which ones to try). Then called elephant and told them that I could get cheaper elsewhere, they said that they couldn't match my cheapest but as I'd had a cheap quote from admiral and they were the same company, they'd match that quote (with my same terms/extras, etc).

Ad.
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

modern insurance

Post by Bruce M »

Is the BMW a recent model? ie the type with the blade-less key that fits in a dash socket?

Insurance for these is going through the roof because they are easy to steal and are vanishing at a crazy rate.
PSut
DDK forever

Post by PSut »

Funny you should mention it - that's what our daily car is, a BMW 335d coupe with one of those keys. The insurance for myself and the wife have become crazy. I'm being quoted more for this than I have ever paid for any car before, and I used to have some fast cars when I was very young. Apparently this is also affecting people living in our area due to the high number of burglaries and they often take cars. Its becoming ridiculous and I'm almost questioning whether its worth bothering to have a nice daily car anymore when I have the 911 in the garage, maybe I'll get a Kia next time then Elephant will be happy!
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

modern insurance

Post by Bruce M »

Unlike most 'moderns' they don't need the keys. They get into the car (a few options there), plug into the diagnostic port, read off a spare 'key' code and code up a blank key. Put this key in the socket and drive away.

Because the key doesn't have a 'blade' the process can be done in minutes.
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

Its so quick and simple to do I'm amazed; coded a spare key for a friends 335i recently and it tookno time! Takes BMW 48hrs to code one for my e39!
Have you tried compare the market or anything? I had the same problem with admiral this year and ended up with 1st central who did both cars for less than the renewal on amies tt!