911 engine barrel,head and cam removal complete?

An archive of any Porsche 911 technical threads

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Chopperman
Married to the DDK

911 engine barrel,head and cam removal complete?

Post by Chopperman »

I have just read`58A-71E` thread on the 911 engine rebuild. Is it possible to take the barrels, heads, cams etc off the crankcase witout undoing the cam sprockets?
Basically i want to get to the bottom end of my engine without disturbing too much, as the top end is all new with the modified chain tensioners all done.
The book on engine tuning states buying the cam sprocket locking tool. I am trying to avoid buying a one off tool. Also i did not realise about setting up the cams was as complicated. I have done a few cams but they had the marks stamped into them and the last one i did was on a Vauxhall diesel where the cam pulley had to aligned to the cam shaft, similar-ish
johnM
I need to get out more!

Re: 911 engine barrel,head and cam removal complete?

Post by johnM »

In a word..no.

The cam sprocket will have to come off with all the tensioning gear, once that is off you can pull the three heads off with the cam carrier attached, but I would not recommend replacing the unit as a one. Best to replace each head, torque the head and then fit the cam carrier, if the cam turns the heads are all at the same height, if not more work is required to ensure the cam turns freely.

Cam timing is a time consuming job but not too bad if you have the correct gear.

Kind Regards
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS TSI DSG.
2021 Toyota GR Yaris Circuit Pack
haasad
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: 911 engine barrel,head and cam removal complete?

Post by haasad »

And, the tools are not that complicated just a crows foot spanner , or a cut down ring spanner wiith a welded on 1/2 drive.I made a cam holding tool by cutting a profile on a 3/8 plate then welding that to a tube with a bar across. All works fine. You will need a clock gauge stand to bolt onto the cam carrier , again easy to make and a decent clock gauge.

Its all straightforward as long as you read understand and go carefully. honest..

andy
ddk member# 1527
Austin Healey 100/6, 1957 Fast Road ( now sold)
75 2.7 S backdated to "r" and very light (now sold).
Adria Camper
Buddy McCrae kneeboard.
Friar Tuck kneeboard.
Lots of Bicycles.