Whats wrong with the world ? ?

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Re: Whats wrong with the world ? ?

Post by IanMcLeod »

Hi Tim.

In the original thread I replied to you posted the VIN number as 11810682 where as in this thread you have posted it as 11810683.

Just to clarify - in my records 11810682 is a Sportomatic, hence my original reply, where as 11810683 is a manual. Hope that helps clarify and also clarify the PM I just sent you. Both cars are Light Ivory.

Ian.
A sponge and a rusty spanner

2.4E RHD, 2.4E RHD, 993 Carrera RHD
Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Sam »

Hi Tim,

Drop me an email : sam@paul-Stephens.com
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Ian 2.2S
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian 2.2S »

goodtogo wrote:I think in a wider sense that its possibly a sad reflection on present mankind and the society he has 'created' that the presumption is that it is 'normal' and 'expected' that his fellow men will try and rip him off, be this classic car ownership, politics, the financial markets, industry etc etc.

Dog eat dog, trust no one, protect yourself at all times.

Like I said in the post, its just a sad and disspiriting thing if this is the accepted norm and is what mankind has graduated to.

Tim, you are obviously a sad git like me :( , who tries to treat others how you would like to be treated. You just have to read everything like an estate agents description - what's not mentioned is more important than what is. It's probably a nice car, but sounds like you are going to struggle to get over the disappointment of it not being quite what you expected.
goodtogo
Married to the DDK

Post by goodtogo »

Ian 2.2S wrote:
goodtogo wrote:I think in a wider sense that its possibly a sad reflection on present mankind and the society he has 'created' that the presumption is that it is 'normal' and 'expected' that his fellow men will try and rip him off, be this classic car ownership, politics, the financial markets, industry etc etc.

Dog eat dog, trust no one, protect yourself at all times.

Like I said in the post, its just a sad and disspiriting thing if this is the accepted norm and is what mankind has graduated to.

Tim, you are obviously a sad git like me :( , who tries to treat others how you would like to be treated. You just have to read everything like an estate agents description - what's not mentioned is more important than what is. It's probably a nice car, but sounds like you are going to struggle to get over the disappointment of it not being quite what you expected.
Yes I agree Ian, your integrity is like virginity, you can only loose it once.
Sam

Post by Sam »

Ian 2.2S wrote: Tim, you are obviously a sad git like me :( , who tries to treat others how you would like to be treated. You just have to read everything like an estate agents description - what's not mentioned is more important than what is. It's probably a nice car, but sounds like you are going to struggle to get over the disappointment of it not being quite what you expected.
It would actually be better if it were an estate agent as they would have to, by law, mention that car [house] belonged to the wife...
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

First off, I'm sorry that you feel that you've been ripped off, and that Coys seem to have behaved pretty badly... So sue me isn't featured on their web site!!

That said, if you paid anywhere near the reserve, I personally think you've done well out of it. So what if it's not matching numbers?- I bet your girls won't care that the original engine stamp isn't right when they are driving to the church.

Anyway, you've got a lovely 911 at an entry level price, I'd get on and drive the damn thing and get the smile back on your face- they are after all great cars to drive. - failing that sell it, you'll probably come out square anyway. I wouldn't even think about suing- its a non starter.

I hope this post doesn't come over as eleteist or harsh, sometimes we need to be told what is in front of our eyes to see what's actually there
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

yoda wrote:
Barwaut wrote:They all want a classic Porsche, without knowing their stuff...
That is a bit of a harsh view. While I think any buyer can help themselves by doing their home work and getting an inspection done, it is a shame that sellers aren't honest about these things and it certainly takes the shine off what should be a great moment for a car enthusiast.

It is good to see people offering sensible advice, less good to see people being elitist.

Regards
I've been in the motor trade for the best part of 25 years, bought countless cars and should know better yet when I saw my 911 I couldn't stuff the money in to the sellers hands and wrestle the car away quickly enough!

So much for experience, but as they say 'love is blind' :love4:

Darren
ken c
DDK above all

Post by ken c »

This is an interesting tale. I looked at this car and bid on it. As Tim said, it's in the docs that the gear box had been replaced. Good thing I think most would agree. I thought the car was really rather god, even though clearly had lots of recent work done, at very low labour costs! The interior is new and sets off the colour nicely. The sun roof works etc. despite the non-original parts it looks great.

I was told the car belonged to a good customer, which if it really belonged to the auctioneer's wife makes that not entirely honest, but otherwise, I didn't feel lied to. I'm slightly miffed that I might have bought the car and loved it and was outbid by Tim, who doesn't like it!
ken c
DDK above all

Post by ken c »

This is an interesting tale. I looked at this car and bid on it. As Tim said, it's in the docs that the gear box had been replaced. Good thing I think most would agree. I thought the car was really rather god, even though clearly had lots of recent work done, at very low labour costs! The interior is new and sets off the colour nicely. The sun roof works etc. despite the non-original parts it looks great.

I was told the car belonged to a good customer, which if it really belonged to the auctioneer's wife makes that not entirely honest, but otherwise, I didn't feel lied to. I'm slightly miffed that I might have bought the car and loved it and was outbid by Tim, who doesn't like it!
goodtogo
Married to the DDK

Post by goodtogo »

Ken

Would you like to make me an offer for it ?

Tim
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

Perhaps a good opportunity for a private deal without another commission cost?
ken c
DDK above all

Post by ken c »

I'm sorry. I've gone ahead and bought an 991E. All the things I thought I would hate in a car; orange with houndstooth check interior. I really did like the look of your car though. Did you discover whether the engine is original to the car. I thought it probably was? The gearbox change seemed sensible to me. If you want to look at mine, I might consider an exchange, although I do love the colour and car! The 911E is all matching numbers, RHD, etc. was restored by Export 56 a few years ago, but bodywork is still fantastic. Let me know if you want to meet. Ken
goodtogo
Married to the DDK

Post by goodtogo »

Ken, thanks for that, but If I part with the car, I'm really looking for cash. Your car sounds great, I bet if you drove mine after yours you would find yours a fair bit more peppy than mine as I hear that the E has more umpff than the L. Also my car is on Solex's, which if I keep the car I will change to Webbers or maybe even PMO's. I'm considering sourcing a 2.7 engine as I alresdy have the later gearbox which should be able to handle the power upgrade and putting my 2l in the garage.

Hope you enjoy your car, maybe we will meet up some time at a porsche meet.

Tim
squirdan
DDK rules my life!

Post by squirdan »

ken c wrote:I'm sorry. I've gone ahead and bought an 991E. All the things I thought I would hate in a car; orange with houndstooth check interior. I really did like the look of your car though. Did you discover whether the engine is original to the car. I thought it probably was? The gearbox change seemed sensible to me. If you want to look at mine, I might consider an exchange, although I do love the colour and car! The 911E is all matching numbers, RHD, etc. was restored by Export 56 a few years ago, but bodywork is still fantastic. Let me know if you want to meet. Ken
this is the car that was at goodwood / bonhams auction last year and latterly on Alan's website...it did look v nice indeed big fat history file and lots of export 56 bills ..congrats, great colour 8)
Megane R26R
Discovery Sport
Defender 110
BMW R9T
Trek Superfly
but sadly no Porsches any more
ken c
DDK above all

Post by ken c »

So far I'm v happy. Need to sort out the MFI (beyond my capability) as the fuel consumption is embarrassing, but otherwise great.

Tim - good luck with yours.