O/T - E60 5 series touring buying advice please

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Re: O/T - E60 5 series touring buying advice please

Post by smallspeed »

fab looking car!
i agree re: diesel as already stated; i think unless you're doing lots of miles its not worth the potential running costs and hassle

the swirl flap thing is easy to confirm; under the inlet manifold there is an actuator (like a wastegate actuator on a turbo) located at the back (under windscreen) and a rod from this which runs under the intake runners to the front. This is attached to the notorious flaps which basically divert air a different way around the inlet manifold at low revs (i think under 1300rpm on a 530d, not sure about others). The problem with them is the little screws whcih hold the flaps to the posts whcih they rotate around can fall out, so you end up with a metal or plastic flap trying to get into the engine.. the worst part is the screws; these are small enough to get past the valves without first being chopped/smashed up, and are always metal hence cause lots of damage!
removing them is not a major job, and doesn't really make much difference to the running of the car. I found the symptoms of removed flaps twice in 2yrs on my 530d, both times while driving slowly / idling after 4hrs+ at "motorway speeds" across france.. its like a roughness at idle which is a bit disconcerting at first, but is not a big deal. certainly less of a deal than the pistons getting smashed to pieces by screws ;)

you can simply stick your hand underneath the rear of the inlet manifold to check if the actuator and rod is there, or if you're posh and have one of those mirrors on a telescopic stick, use that 8)
Drmark
Married to the DDK

Post by Drmark »

Hi Smallspeed,

Am I right in thinking the flaps are not supposed to be an issue post 2005 thanks to revised design?

Cheers

Mark
I can resist anything but a tempting Porsche
Silver '70 2.2s (gone and missed)
Blue '89 3.2 Carrera (gone to Yorkshire)
Blue '08 997 4s (when my wife lets me drive it)
Johnny Graham
DDK addict

Post by Johnny Graham »

So I have permission to buy a petrol 6 pot, marvlious!

The facelift 530i's look pretty economical too, direct injection doo-hickey technology, I gather. And I can cope with RFL at £200+ but not £400+. Not when my money seems to go mainly on salt.

Need to watch I dont surf tinternet too much, there are so many stories of relatively young cars having all sorts of glitches, I guess I am into definite aftermarket warranty territory here.

Either that or get a 'new' Merc estate..w124 of course :bounce: simple, depreciation proof, timeless..

James, thanks for the heads up, what blue is that on yours?
Cheers, Johnny

'89 Carrera 4, '65 356C, '99 Maserati 3200GT
Winter hack: '92 Hilux Smurf
Wife's: '99 E320CDI estate
Awaiting fettlement: '83 w123 280E, '84 2CV6.
58A - 71E
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by 58A - 71E »

Johnny Graham wrote: there are so many stories of relatively young cars having all sorts of glitches, I guess I am into definite aftermarket warranty territory here
You are unfortunately; I would suggest either paying a bit extra to get one direct from the Stealers with their warranty or an independant with a warranty that is actually worth the paper its written on.
Johnny Graham wrote:James, thanks for the heads up, what blue is that on yours?
Deep Sea Blue metallic
James

'58 356A 1600n
'71 911E 2,2

smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

Drmark wrote:Hi Smallspeed,
Am I right in thinking the flaps are not supposed to be an issue post 2005 thanks to revised design?
Cheers
Mark
I've heard all sorts of stories about manual cars not having them because they were put in for anti-stall on autos, e46's not having them because of different intake, post 20** cars not having them.. I've seen e46's with them, I've seen manual e39's and e46's with them, and early manual e60's with them, i really can't say when they were or were not fitted. my guess would be post 2007 when the new engines came in but i might be wrong

they did drop them at some point, but I don't know whether it was LCI time or just a running change, etc., etc.. What I can say is its very easy to stick your hand underneath the manifold and check! and if they're there its £200 to have them removed and blanked, or £50 to do it yourself..
given you can clean (or bypass) the EGR at the same time, clean-up the inlet manifold, clean TB, check injectors, replace inlet manifold seals, etc., then to be honest its a pretty good "preventitive job" to do on a 100k mile plus diesel car anyway in my opinion :) if you're paying someone to do the work, £250 to do all of the above is not too painful

great news re: petrol, the 6-cyl engines are great. not sure what the road tax situation is, but don't discount a 525i over a 530i. In real world terms there's not masses in it, and there's prob a bit more choice with the lower model. Downside of buying 2nd hand is you're more likely to get a high spec 530i than 525i

as others have said, buying from a main dealer (esp if you get a bit of finance through them) gives you lots of options and power re: goodwill warranty for common failures and issues :)