CTEK Battery Charger

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

CTEK Battery Charger

Post by Darren65 »

I've just purchased a CTEK battery charger to keep my 993's battery alive over the winter.

I've always disconnected the battery from the car when charging in the past - does anyone know if the CTEK unit can be used with the battery connected and the bonnet down?

Cheers,
Darren
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: CTEK Battery Charger

Post by roy mawbey »

Darren,

CTEK make various models. If you have a MXS 3600 charger / conditioner then you can connect up and leave it without taking off the battery. It will work without gassing or overcharging. You can also buy an adaptor that would fit your cigarette lighter socket to make the connection so that means the bonnet stays shut. The unit ( like the Optimate conditioner I use ) will cut in and out when the battery is fully charged.

I just drilled each of the the poles of the battery to accept self tappers and then secured the supplied leads with quick change socket to just plug in the unit for operation. On the 356 it does mean I lift the bonnet and push in the plug. But remember you would have to leave a window open anyway if you use the cig lighter socket which in turn must be live with the ignition off.

These super items work so well. If your instruction is not clear with the unit you bought then enter on google 'CTEK battery conditioner charger' and you will see all models and installation instruction inn case you are not sure.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanMcLeod »

I've used battery conditioners on various 993s over the last 10 years and never disconnected the battery (Halfords auto charger/maintainer type). Remember to push the bonnet latch down with your fingers whilst the bonnet is open to turn the light off under the bonnet if you are leaving the bonnet open whilst on charge (which is better than squishing the wire/bonnet seal). Use the normal bonnet open lever in the car to reset it when ready to reclose the bonnet properly.

Ian.
Last edited by IanMcLeod on Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A sponge and a rusty spanner

2.4E RHD, 2.4E RHD, 993 Carrera RHD
Histrally
DDK Fanatic

Post by Histrally »

Darren,
As Roy has stated it depends which model you have. I have two of their battery conditioners which I use on the Porsche and Alfa. No need to disconnect the battery. They work really well in keeping the battery alive on any car that is not used regularly.
Jerry
911 2.7 Carrera Rep
Regularity rally prepared (For sale)
Subaru Legacy Tourer
kitchens
DDK slapper chatter

Post by kitchens »

No problem having the battery on when in situ ,just run the cable out the bonnet will do no damage .I have 3 chargers running all the time 1 is a ctec and the other 2 from Lidl which are great value at only £15 each and do the same job.Look out for them when on special well worth it even as a spare .
Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Darren65 »

Many thanks for all the replies and the tip about closing the catch with your fingers (hadn't thought of that :) ).

My charger is an MXS 3.6 so assuming this is fine, the blurb doesn't say one way or the other so appreciate the guidance.

Battery now fully charged so off out for a drive :)

Best wishes and a Happy New Year to all.
Darren