gearbox rebuild help/advice required

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

craig001
DDK addict

Post by craig001 »

Hi everybody, long time no see!, it’s been a few years since I last: A. posted here, and B. drove my 911! I can see a lot of names I remember and a lot of new names on the forums, but overall, I can see that the general friendliness and comradery of DDK is still alive and kicking!
I hope some of you will be able to help me!
Long story short, the reason I stuck the car in the garage and mothballed it for a while was my gearbox was a bit ropey and I was scared that it might go bang and leave me with even more of a problem.
Today I fired it up and went for a blast down the road 8) to get a clear idea of what is wrong with the box. I’m debating whether to rebuild it myself (I’m well tooled up and I like to think I’m competent, and anything I don’t know, my dad does!) or to take it out the car and get somebody else to do it.
I have just been reading Gary71’s 915 rebuild thread which makes me think it won’t be too hard to do as long as I can source the required parts.
The box is a 4 speed 911/00 from a 1970 model, ‘69 registered T. The fault I have is basically very sloppy gear change between all gears especially between neutral to 1st and 1st 2nd. Reverse is also very graunchy and makes a rough worn bearing noise while moving backwards. I have replaced the shifter and rod bushings but this made little improvement.
Basically I’m after any advice and information I can get. Who would people recommend in the south (Im in Reading) to rebuild 911 boxes and does anyone have any idea how much a pro would charge?
I would also like any recommendations on parts suppliers for gearbox parts? Would I have to use pelican and ship the bits over? And finally does anybody have any other technical documentation/guides that might help me if I decide to have a crack at it myself?
I appreciate any help you can give me…
Thanks, Craig.
Craig
----------
'69 911T
'79 VW Westfalia Berlin deluxe
Gone but not forgotten: My rusty old '75 bay
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

Don't fancy a 5 speed upgrade? If you pick up a "core" it might not be much more expensive than a rebuild of your 4 (depending on the insides of both).

For a rebuilder, is Kendal too far?
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: gearbox rebuild help/advice required

Post by Gary71 »

Evening, I glad my thread inspired you, but from what I understand the 901 box is a bit harder in terms of setting fixtures and the like. However I'm no expert so give Mike Bainbridge a call! :)

The Haynes has a lot of information on a rebuild.
myatt1972
DDK rules my life!

Post by myatt1972 »

Keith...

73 911e sporto
73 914 2.0l
86 928s S2
85 Mazda Rx7 (TWR)
85 Mazda Rx7
The Bonser fork truck
Volvo V40 T4 (200bhp workhorse)
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

If it is only gear changing that is a problem, that is not difficult to sort out and does not require Pinion Setting, which is the more difficult part of g`boxes

I am surprised that re-bushing of the linkage has not improved matters - what condition is the actual Gear lever base and ALL its associated parts like ?
It may just be an accumulation of wear

Personally - I would not use a supplier of parts who I do not know and I would not build a box for anybody who supplied parts from un-known sources

There is rubbish out here and it is too much work to `do it over`

Secondly the Workshop manuals are not always correct (certainly there are miss-prints in the 356 one)

You have Steve at Jaz and Chris Turner in West London
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com
sdelan
DDK forever

Post by sdelan »

Evening -

Just a small contribution which I have made on here before - but my car's gearbox seemed to perform a lot better after changing to Swepco Gear Oil.

But I'm sure you've considered all the obvious options already ! :lol:

HTH
Sean
1970 RHD Porsche 911T - Sold
1988 RHD Porsche 911 Carrera - Sold
craig001
DDK addict

Post by craig001 »

Thanks for the input guys,
I have thought about a 5 speed upgrade, but as this is the correct box for the car and it still works (kinda!) I want to fix and keep it.
When I did the shift linkage/coupling bushes, everything was stripped, cleaned, checked and greased before assembly so I know the gearstick base is good.
I haven’t used swepco oil in it yet but I will when it’s done, It has a castrol gear oil in it at the moment and I don’t think any other oil will sort this much play.
I think I will ring Mike Bainbridge and discuss it with him at some point in the very near future, but first I want to make sure I have some readies in the bank. I would imagine a rebuild by a pro is not going to be cheap.
On the other hand, I have gathered a fair amount of info on the box and I might just get my teeth stuck in to it myself when I pull it out of the car.
Craig
Craig
----------
'69 911T
'79 VW Westfalia Berlin deluxe
Gone but not forgotten: My rusty old '75 bay
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Swepco won't mend a worn gearbox ;) ....

Have a chat with Mike, a rebuild might not cost as much as you think .... if parts need replacing , they'll need replacing anyway, wether you build it or someone else does.
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)