Battery Conditioner

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

Peter
I luv DDK!

Battery Conditioner

Post by Peter »

I have an Airflow battery conditioner I used to use with my old car - it was easy, I had one battery to connect - now I have a Porsche it has two batteries :?

Can anyone tell me which battery to connect the conditioner to, or whether I need to buy another one so both can be connected?

Also, in the past I used to leave the battery connected while it was being 'conditioned'. Is this Ok on the Porsche?

Thanks,

Peter
Peter
'72 911T
'52 80” Series 1
Peter
I luv DDK!

Post by Peter »

OK, I should have searched before I posted this...

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewto ... t=charging
Peter
'72 911T
'52 80” Series 1
pauladev

Post by pauladev »

I have regularly been using an Airflow conditioner, and all was well until I went away for a month recently and left it on my 914. When I came back the conditioner showed the battery to be fully charged, and it was - started first time, and I went off for a celebratory cruise -about 40 miles. I noticed that my voltmeter on the centre console was stuck hard against the stops over 16 volts. Of course that must have been a gauge error, as the battery was charged!!!! However when I stopped there was this ominous hissing sound from the engine compartment - odd for an air cooled car, and I opened it up to find the battery boiling. I am still pursuing whether it is the regulator at fault, but I am left wondering whether long term use of the conditioner could affect the functioning of the regulator or alternator. I enquired on UK914 group at yahoo, and consensus is that it is a regulator failurebut there is still an element of doubt whether the conditioning cycle could have side effects!!
Incidentally CTEK have a new super-sophisticated intelligent charger AND conditioner which looks good
http://www.roadpro.co.uk/productItem.asp?ItemID=1382 is the link, although I expect they have their own site. I have seen them cheaper than this one.
Viper Green '75 914
Light Yellow '69 911'T' (sold)
Rubystone Red '90 944 S2 Cab (sold)
Metallic Blue '70 914-6 (sold)
crafti
Married to the DDK

Post by crafti »

I use a CTEK Multi XS 3600 hooked to my "two battery" 911 and it's sat for well over two months in the winter between use and it's been spot on. Can't speak for the airflow model though.