Which 'new' 911 to choose......?

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Sam »

I would have said a Mk1 996 GT3 but that boat has probably now sailed (high 30's and up now).

When people realise that it doesn't have the same engine issues as anormal 996 and will leave a 964rs behind on a track, they will have negative depreciation for a while.
*nods*

It's easy to forget what an exceptional machine the 996 GT3 is. But it takes less than a mile behind the wheel to remember and to fall in love again. It's also very rare - about 108 in total, 20 odd Club Sports.

You'll have to find £10k more than a decent 996TT but they're calcium carbonate and coagulated milk to drive. The turbo is a relaxing daily cruiser that goes a million miles an hour without even trying, the '3 is the last proper, finger-tippy, thrilling driver's Porsche for the road. I'd much rather have a Turbo for a cross-continent motorway blast, but when I got to the mountain pass the other end I'd be in the wrong car.

Do have a go in an 964 RS (or your pal's RS-suspended Carrera) before you commit down that route. They are just as hard as the press said on the road. If you're pressing on they can easily skip over mid-corner bumps and light up both rears. Not a bad thing when you're really on it, but they do demand considerable concentration to drive quickly so are quite a tiring daily motor.

964 wise, unless I was looking at it for 'investment' I'd get a tidy Carrera 2, fit H&R Green springs, RS cams, single mass flywheel, noisy exhaust, cup wheels and take some weight out. You'll get 90% of the driving experience of the RS but I'd say better cross-country pace through the confidence a more compliant ride gives.

A 993 will typically have lots of smallish (say £400 - £800 pa) bills for general maintenance followed by the occasional big one - like £4k for new suspension. The 996TT will have regular bills somewhere inbetween. It'd have to be a really bad 993 to cost more to run than a 996TT. As has been said, you'll probably get mid- to late-20s mpg in both and you'll insure a 993 for far less.

Truth is - only you know what you want, have a go in as many as you can. :)
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Highfield
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Highfield »

I guess I should close this down by updating that I bought Hamish's 964 C2 with that lovely lowered RS Suspension and drove it home on Saturday.

Car drives superbly on good A Roads and Motorway and the suspension is firm but doesn't rattle the teeth out either.

Need to get the track wheels off and the street wheels on before I can drive it though - should be here later this week so will hopefully see some of you out and about and at the track / racing next year.

Here is a link to my mobile.me gallery

http://gallery.me.com/ianhighfield#1000 ... &view=grid

Ian
Ian Highfield
Pre 73 1964 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT MSA Category 1 Rally Car
1992 964 C2 with RS Suspension setup and Sport Interior - SOLD
1973 911T (2.7 Carrera engine and loads of period mods - all steel) - SOLD
1986 Carrera Coupe (256bhp) - SOLD
Ian Donkin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian Donkin »

Well done Ian - a late 964; I think these are often under-rated and I'm sure you'll have great fun in it. :)
2006 RHD 997 Carrera (but DDK remains in my heart - also now no longer)
1972 LHD 2.4T with '73 2.4T CIS motor - gone to a new DDK home
1994 RHD 993 Carrera - gone!
1968 LHD 911L - was the Wife's but now in new hands :-(