Original Engine Mounts

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

stuj76
DDK addict

Original Engine Mounts

Post by stuj76 »

Hi,

Just curious to see if anyone on here has a 914 that they have removed the original engine mounts off the car and/or if they have any images of that area that has had them removed. I am have to remove these for the fitting of the new engine and I am a little unsure of the 'best line' to cut/remove them. If anyone could either post up pictures or send me them via email it will be much appreciated.

My new engine is nearly finished :)

S
1974 - 914 6 conversion
stuj76
DDK addict

Post by stuj76 »

I'll take that as a no then...

S
1974 - 914 6 conversion
Robster
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Robster »

Stu,

sorry couldn't help with pics. Interested in your 'new' engine though! What are you dropping back in?

regards
Rob
Porsche 914-6 (2.4E on Webers)
fourteener
DDK rules my life!

Post by fourteener »

Stu, do you mean removing the four cylinder mounts? If so I did this (and I'll tell out the best way)
James.

914-6 facsimile
rebuild your 911 tensioners
stuj76
DDK addict

Post by stuj76 »

fourteener wrote:Stu, do you mean removing the four cylinder mounts? If so I did this (and I'll tell out the best way)
Yes please James, this is what I am after.

Any info images gratefully received. Thanks
S
1974 - 914 6 conversion
fourteener
DDK rules my life!

Post by fourteener »

Well it's pretty easy, just get a spot weld cutter and drill out all the welds. Once you’ve drilled it, you normally have to get a screw-driver + hammer behind the weld to pop the remnants of the weld. The perimeter welds are fairly easy but there are a few in the middle that are harder to get but it should come off in one piece. Then just belt-sand all the welds flush.

I can't find the pictures I'm looking for but here is a pic of what was behind the engine mount on the battery side and you can see where the spot welds were.
The drivers side mount was pretty good (no battery acid) and easier to remove.

I never really got on with the sealy sprung centre pin type of cutter and had one that looked like a milling/reaming bit with a point in the centre that worked much better
James.

914-6 facsimile
Jeroen
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Jeroen »

I've cut them out... and then some :wink:
check here for pics:
http://www.9gear.nl/index.php?mact=Gall ... 64&page=64

I used a grinder, cause 9 out of 10 times I'm drilling too deep with a spotweld-bit :roll:
stuj76
DDK addict

Post by stuj76 »

fourteener wrote:Well it's pretty easy, just get a spot weld cutter and drill out all the welds. Once you’ve drilled it, you normally have to get a screw-driver + hammer behind the weld to pop the remnants of the weld. The perimeter welds are fairly easy but there are a few in the middle that are harder to get but it should come off in one piece. Then just belt-sand all the welds flush.

I can't find the pictures I'm looking for but here is a pic of what was behind the engine mount on the battery side and you can see where the spot welds were.
The drivers side mount was pretty good (no battery acid) and easier to remove.

I never really got on with the sealy sprung centre pin type of cutter and had one that looked like a milling/reaming bit with a point in the centre that worked much better
Thanks James, this does help.

How did you tidy the area up? (filler, rust proofing etc.)

S
1974 - 914 6 conversion
fourteener
DDK rules my life!

Post by fourteener »

Hey Jeroen,

Reminded me of the good ol' 914 club days seeing your name here. Are you putting a cooler in your rear boot lid. hence the slots?
James.

914-6 facsimile
Jeroen
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Jeroen »

Hey James
Yeah... the good old days
914club.com is pretty much dead, guess everyone is on world now
Oh well...

You mean the slots in the rear hood?
Hoping they would help extract some (hot) air from the engine bay and I liked the look of them... Dunno, maybe it's just a stoopid idea :)

Oilcooler is going up front, ducted through the hood
stuj76
DDK addict

Post by stuj76 »

Jeroen wrote:I've cut them out... and then some :wink:
check here for pics:
http://www.9gear.nl/index.php?mact=Gall ... 64&page=64

I used a grinder, cause 9 out of 10 times I'm drilling too deep with a spotweld-bit :roll:
Thanks Jeroen, I guess that this would be a longer process than drilling them out?

Nice portfolio of images, shame my wife's Dutch vocabulary doesn't cover a resto...

S
1974 - 914 6 conversion
Jeroen
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Jeroen »

it's been a while, but iirc, it took me 2 nights to get EVERYTHING out of the rear, including the firewall, rear boot floor and all the engine shrouding sheetmetal