mally914
DDK addict

914 turbo

Post by mally914 »

hi all looking for advice anyone done a 914 turbo pics advice wanted thanks
liam 914
DDK above all

Post by liam 914 »

What engine? Looked at this quite a bit myself and decided against it. Depends a lot on the level of boost and power figures you are looking at but I decided it would change the driving characteristics of the car too much...

Then I put a Subaru engine in :lol:
1973 914 Blut Orange, Subaru conversion - Sold
1969 VW Squareback - For Sale
mally914
DDK addict

turbo

Post by mally914 »

hi buddy i have spoken to the guy at air cooled performance a local tuner of vw campers etc , he has a drag camper and drag beetle , he recons i could squeeze 160 plus hp out o 1.8 quite easily without too much trouble or cost and reliably , i had intended to do a rotary/ subaru conversion but didnt want to chop it up for the radiator . will keep you posted on the results hope to have the engine together before the year ends , house move has slowed restoration i have pics posted from a few years ago as it got shelved due to family comitments .
liam 914
DDK above all

Post by liam 914 »

I spoke to the same guy as well but he quoted me 150bhp with a 2L!

Some of the other people I spoke to were not so confident about it and the longevity and reliability. Good luck with it and keep us posted.
1973 914 Blut Orange, Subaru conversion - Sold
1969 VW Squareback - For Sale
veltror
DDK above all

Post by veltror »

have a look on 914world there are a few threads there with the tongue in cheek comment that you cannot turbo a 914 :lol:
I have no smiles I shed no tears,
In an eternity of pain I have no peers.
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

Can be done, a friend of mine has built quite a few. I think the main obstacle is barrel to head sealing, but that can be overcome with some clever machining.
hot66

Re: turbo

Post by hot66 »

mally914 wrote:hi buddy i have spoken to the guy at air cooled performance a local tuner of vw campers etc , he has a drag camper and drag beetle , he recons i could squeeze 160 plus hp out o 1.8 quite easily without too much trouble or cost and reliably , i had intended to do a rotary/ subaru conversion but didnt want to chop it up for the radiator . will keep you posted on the results hope to have the engine together before the year ends , house move has slowed restoration i have pics posted from a few years ago as it got shelved due to family comitments .
Darren knows what he is talking about so I wouldn't have any worries there.

Also, buy this book as not only is it a great read regarding turbocharging but it includes a info on turbocharging 914's

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=3
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
barn914
DDK Seasoned Poster

Working on it

Post by barn914 »

Not done it but working on it..

I dont think I have introduced myself here, I think some of you know me, I will find the intros thread.

Depends on your idea/reference of trouble and reliability, low psi should be relatively easy using the orig heat exchangers with the turbo nr the rear valance but you would need to scavenge the oil from the turbo back to the engine for starters..

I plan to run MS FI with orig intake manifolds with the turbo on the opposite side to the starter as high as possible.

Exhaust parts and stubs from Turbo Thomas, heads Stateside.

I would really like to get it running soon before the summer dissapears..

Tks
- Alex (Tangerine 73 2.0)
porker914
DDK forever

Post by porker914 »

Alex,
Nice to see another local guy doing some great looking work there. When do you plan to get the car on the road?

David
1969 914 now crushed!!
1971 914 now sold
1973 914 now sold
1975 914 now sold